Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why is Malphite considered overpowered?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crossifix

08-22-2012

He has an absolutely unmatchable amount of armor. Get an oracles and the enemy can have fun without vision the rest of the game.

Douggie

08-22-2012

Quote:
ASYLUM101:
I remember when I starting playing malphite wayyyy before anyone used him (pre-season 1), everyone said he was **** because what he did for his ult alistar could do with a WQ combo and do it better.

How silly people are.

And then Alistar ate like five nerfs...

Grabnork

08-22-2012

Quote:
HearshotKDS:
He's not invincible however, Vlad's ult followed by focus fire will drop him like a dress on prom night.

Upvoted JUST for that.

Ragebeard Manric

08-22-2012

Power Creep.

Champions who filled his roll were nerfed and he was not (Shen, Rammus, Alistar, etc).

That said, I don't ever ban Malphite. Double AP ****s on him, if someone on the other team picks Malph I pick Vlad and luls all game long.

TheRealIpodHuman

02-13-2013

get some fking paper

Onimus Terlain

02-13-2013

Just because he's banned doesn't mean he's OP.

And as for why he's banned, you answered that question yourself.

He shuts down AD.

And look at the team comps nowadays.

AD jungle. AD mid. AD top. AD carry.

I'm noticing the AD mid thing is beginning to calm down, thankfully, but man it was annoying having a team that relied solely on AD.

And Malphite stacks armor like crazy.

He shuts down AD champs in general.
He is very very hard to kill.
He has the best initiation in the game (yes, better than Hecarim ult, bronies)

and he has surpringingly strong burst as an AP carry.

He's banned because he's annoying to deal with. Just like 90% of all the other bans.

Peligrad

02-13-2013

Malphite is very strong just all around.

Great durability, great lane phase, great escape, great initiate, high damage, high disruption.

There isn't one category that you look at Malph and say, Malph sucks at this...

Plus Malph is a tanky AP champ which is pretty rare, and he scales well with farm.

Oz SammyD X

02-13-2013

Quote:
themaddscientist:
When I first started playing draft pick, it forced me to get good with different champions with different playstyles, and Malphite happened to be one of them. Ever since he has been one of my favorite champions as he can do very well against pretty much any ad champion you can name.

However, I don't really understand why he is considered "overpowered" and why he is banned in draft pick so much because of it. I understand the basis for the majority of the complaints about him, such as how his tool kit is pretty much geared toward destroying ad carries. I cannot understand how just because he is good against ad carries somehow makes him overpowered, especially when the vast majority of ap champions can beat the **** out of him. Off the top of my head, I can think of AP Sion and Rumble as two champions who absolutely destroy Malphite.

How is a champion overpowered for being able to effectively deal with some champions when he is incapable of fighting off others? He has a great initiation, but it takes a good team to follow up on that initiation. He has a good attack speed debuff, but he has to get in close, and he can't just skill spam without getting lots of mana regen, which means he usually has to sacrifice a bit of armor or magic resistance. He's not a perfect champion. How is he "overpowered?"

Lets get one thing straight, there are NO overpowered champions, it's just bad players think this way because they don't know how to counterplay.

Anyways the reason for this is because of his team fight viability, Ulting an entire team which can lead to them all die before they hit the ground, it basically gives your entire team free damage for about 1.5 seconds, that's enough to win the game, I've done it many times where I have ulted entire team which basically allowed us to destroy the nexus since we killed them all before they can react lol, also his other abilities like a slow, good tackiness thanks to his passive and general defensive stats, his E basically screws the enemy ADC lol, his kit wins team fights, built AP or full Tank he is devastating, also if you have homeguard and teleport then it's so easy to catch up to enemies and easily win the fight, you will see a lot of Malphites taking teleport and homeguard in tournaments.

Foxbyte

02-13-2013

In other news.

Linebacker Malphite.

Why does this skin not exist yet?

Mogs01gt

02-13-2013

Malph has always been awesome. He didnt do well in old Meta's because ability powered champs were more common and did more damage. AP champs arent dominate right now so therefore Malph is powerful.

It sucks, I always try to Jung malph but he is always banned...Actually, I think Malph can play in every lane...