Why is Malphite considered overpowered?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ASYLUM101

08-22-2012

I remember when I starting playing malphite wayyyy before anyone used him (pre-season 1), everyone said he was **** because what he did for his ult alistar could do with a WQ combo and do it better.

How silly people are.

Duo2

08-22-2012

He's not overpowered, and this is something that is often misunderstood about ban picks. He's banned because fighting a Malphite is effing annoying. He's got a ton of harass, farm and survivability and his shield really mitigates any return of harass. Plus it takes a good deal of CC to shut him down with a gank because of his massive slow/MS buff in the same move. Plus his initiate is really, really hard and can easily curbstomp a team fight.

Malphite, like Shen and Shaco, is a champion you ban because he's a pain in the ass, not because he's broken.

Autocthon

08-22-2012

He's way too good at what he does (or he was). He's basically a hard counter to carries who can build straight defenses top and still come out ahead in any trades (excepting with olaf trollolol).

Add to that a 900ish range initiating CC and hard lockdown on AA based targets.

Vuther

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
He's THE ROCK

you can't even stop that ****
Fixt

I aM Salvation

08-22-2012

He's not overpowered anymore, they nerfed the fact that his AS reduction was like 5(not sure if correct?) seconds long. He's a pain in the butt still but I wouldn't say over powered.

Eninya

08-22-2012

Malphite with a Frozen Heart almost permanently shuts down an AD carry hit by his W. Your attack speed becomes nothing, and autos are really important for AD.

To top this off, he has a great slow nuke that increases HIS movement speed by a percent (the same stolen?). He can increase his armor, increasing the damage of his ground slam even more, and he has one of the best initiates in the game. At 6, he can combo and kill a top solo with Ignite fairly easily.

It's hard to label him overpowered, but he's extremely powerful against the current meta.

lightandarkness

08-22-2012

he on the strong side but so is a lot of champion. That does not make them op just a strong pick.

doombotMECHA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Inch Rooster View Post
This is news to me! I don't often have trouble with him as Volibear and Yorick but maybe both are his hard counters and I've just been lucky.
you have......yorick is based around NEVER EVER EVER LOSING THE LANE. If malphy was actually trying to inflict serious damage, he was playing it wrong.
to the ap can't top guy, I say.....kennny y vlad

HearshotKDS

08-22-2012

It's hard to label Malphite as generally Overpowered, because that implies he's going to be strong in almost every situation he finds himself in. This isn't the case. He shuts down auto attack reliant champs like AD carries and certain top lanes/junglers. But if you get an AP top like Kennen, Rumble, Morde, Vlad, Lanewick, etc. he's no longer the best pick for the job, or even an above average pick in some matchups.

One thing he does have going for him though is once geared he has almost no counter against AD heavy teams. With Frozen Heart and Randuins Omen's active/passive+his E, he will absolutely supress the other teams AD damage. Even with Black Cleaver+ Phantom dancer you're going to see sub 1 APS on the other team. His ult makes it so that it is very easy to ensure you hit most if not all of the other team with the attack speed debuff combo.

Due to his extremely high armor when coupled with his W, and the amazing amount of AS he shreds off of the other team, even a last whisper will not help you kill him significantly faster. If your team focuses him, then he's still doing his job by tanking your damage and applying AS debuffs to all around him. If you ignore him, he's still doing his job by disrupting your teams AD damage, as well as slowing down one of your squishies with his Q. This makes him extremely strong... *Against certain compositions*

He's not invincible however, Vlad's ult followed by focus fire will drop him like a dress on prom night. After 15 minutes in his damage is poor. he's also very mana dpendant early so if you steal blue buff he's going to be behind for most of the game. With skilled use of stuns/knockbacks you can remove him from your carries long enough to down the other teams squishies. This is why he's so often banned, he's one of those chars that is easiest to just ban instead of relying on 3/4 randoms to have the skill/team work to counter him in game.

IIxeenoxII

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
He's made of ROCK

you can't even deal with that ****
So what you're saying is, we need a paper based champ! I'm looking @ you Riot!

Malph, not OP, AA champs just need to play smarter, like ignore him when he pounds the ground (AA debuff) kinda like when you see jax spin his lamp post over his head; don't attack!
oh and obv, armor pen...