Why is Malphite considered overpowered?

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

themaddscientist

08-22-2012

When I first started playing draft pick, it forced me to get good with different champions with different playstyles, and Malphite happened to be one of them. Ever since he has been one of my favorite champions as he can do very well against pretty much any ad champion you can name.

However, I don't really understand why he is considered "overpowered" and why he is banned in draft pick so much because of it. I understand the basis for the majority of the complaints about him, such as how his tool kit is pretty much geared toward destroying ad carries. I cannot understand how just because he is good against ad carries somehow makes him overpowered, especially when the vast majority of ap champions can beat the **** out of him. Off the top of my head, I can think of AP Sion and Rumble as two champions who absolutely destroy Malphite.

How is a champion overpowered for being able to effectively deal with some champions when he is incapable of fighting off others? He has a great initiation, but it takes a good team to follow up on that initiation. He has a good attack speed debuff, but he has to get in close, and he can't just skill spam without getting lots of mana regen, which means he usually has to sacrifice a bit of armor or magic resistance. He's not a perfect champion. How is he "overpowered?"

X74

08-22-2012

He's not.

Pitufito Dell

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

It's not his damage, is his durability + insane AS reduction. He controls the flow of the game by denying the highest damage champion (ADC) from atacking, can CC an entire team whit relative ease and can also control the speed of the game. In other words, he is a pain in the current meta.

Thubgar

08-22-2012

who can kill him?
burst cant, hes too tanky. AD dps cant, he has a massive unmitigatable AS debuff (tenacity does nothing because its not tied to a slow like nunu's). tanky dps cant for the same reason.

the ONLY thing that works against him is AP DPS... who can't top.

67chrome

08-22-2012

I think it has more to do with summoners favoring kill-based, glass cannon champions over playing tanks and supports, so when champion X is pretty solid against countering AD carries and Assassins summoners get frustrated with champion X.

It's also nice when banning champions to have a few "OP" scapegoats to default to, it's less hassle to deal with when everyone can pretty much agree on the bans; and that lets you burn less calories on annoying things like typing and thinking XD

Dragull2

08-22-2012

Too good of an initiation.

Ten Inch Rooster

08-22-2012

This is news to me! I don't often have trouble with him as Volibear and Yorick but maybe both are his hard counters and I've just been lucky.

an actual dog

08-22-2012

He's made of ROCK

you can't even deal with that ****

Marrow Runner

08-22-2012

He gets stronger by building tankier while other champions have to sacrifice either one.
His ult is really powerful and can anulate the ap carry that he doesn't counter with other skills or anulate anyh key target and is a aoe knock up and a gap closer.
But he is an anti carry just like jax and irelia they are all powerful but malphite has the advantage of not needing too many items or kills do his job.

SerratedBlaze

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragull2 View Post
Too good of an initiation.
He does have a good initiation and the cool down is just right (up at the start of teamfights and down until the next is what I usually see. seldomly is it up for two uses in skirmishes or down for the biggest battles) it works great with his other moves and gives him a very solid kit that works with itself.

However his ult in itself isn't that great, even as an initiation. I mean, amumu has a longer stun even after tenacity with at least as much radius and comparable damage and every other tank too. Sej's is basically an aoe stun, zyra is an aoe knockup and nuke, galio's is less stable and close enough. It's nothing special, just a gap closer and a good damage aoe knockup which is pretty standard. I guess the gap closer part saves you from using a quick combo or flash ala amumu and galio.

12345 ... 6