Game Modes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

siv ODD

09-20-2010

So, I was looking at the feedback section but I couldn't find an area specifically for maps and what not. So hopefully a mod will see this and move it to the appropriate forum.

So after playing roughly two hundred games of Normal, I've decided that it's probably time for Riot to add some new game modes. They already have Draft Pick implimented in ranked. What I suggest is allowing players to que up for different matches of Normal. I'm sure this isn't the first time this has come up, but there's something to be said about repitition.

Blind Pick offers very little strategy. Unless you're running in a five man group, it's going to be difficult to get everyone on the ball and make a cohesive team that's well-rounded against most situations. Even so, you have no idea what the other team is picking, and some of your hero choices may be neutered.

For players looking for structured play, but not necessarily ranked play, I think it would be wise to impliment (at the very least) Draft Mode for Normal Play. Differing from Ranked, there would be no bans. Selection would be in 1-2-1 format, alternating between teams. I don't think Random Draft would be a good idea, as sometimes the hero pool might contain a hero that the counter to may not be present in.

Additionally, I think a Free For All mode could be fun. 6 player FFA in an arena-style map with small creep camps and bushes for ambushing. This would not be a Ranked game mode, as certain heroes will be naturally better than others at surviving and excelling in a free for all format. Similar to the old-school hero arenas on WC3 (that quickly lost following when maps like DotA and Tides of Blood came to be).

A zone control style mode might be interesting, as well. Teams would vie for strategic points, attempting to hold them for as long as possible. Certain heroes would be suited for this, but that creates a different meta and may breath life into otherwise low-tier heroes. The points themselves would be pre-set, but they would be selected non-sequentially to keep players from camping points they know will be next. This would require a specially designed map as well, probably without creep waves.

The major flaw in the previous two maps would be if one team dominates, then levels may become extremely disproportionate, especially without creep waves. Either clever creep wave generation would be required, or some system of keeping players from completely falling behind to a hopeless situation.

Just some random ideas, but at the very least I think that Draft Mode should be available to Normal Play.

Thanks! Comment as you see fit; most of these are rough ideas and could use refinement.

Sabnitron

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-20-2010

I definitely agree on the draft mode added to normal play, although that might cause some negative effects on queue times. I'm really not sure.

I couldn't help but notice you did not include ARAM. Why not? I imagine the most community support for additional maps/game modes would be for a dedicated ARAM map/mode.

siv ODD

09-20-2010

All Random is fine, too. It's just a bit unstable. You can end up with a really bad team. It might be fine for casual play, but I'm not sure if it would be viable for que.

I really enjoyed the Death Match game mode from DotA, but it never had a huge following so it probably wouldn't have one here, either.

Also, as far as que times go, I'm pretty sure if you make Draft Mode available, most people will like it, but there will still be enough people with Blind Pick that it wouldn't take too long to get a game.

Diversifying game modes won't hurt it too bad. It may frustrate people who want to play less popular game modes (which is why only tried and true game modes should be queable, the rest can be done in practice mode). At the very least, players would have more options to what sort of game they want to play instead of being forced into Ranked if they want to play a strategic mode.

I enjoy draft mode, but I do not enjoy hyper-competitive play. It takes a lot of the fun out of the game for me because there's a clear difference between competitive play and pubbing.

Attacked

09-20-2010

All random might not be viable for competitions/srs gaems but it sure as hell is fun. Trying to figure out how to beat a 5 tank team as a 5 caster team or vice versa is crazy and calls for random and outlandish play that you rarely see elsewhere. I agree with a lot of your points and think riot should honestly look into these ideas. +1

siv ODD

09-20-2010

Agreed. Limiting game modes to Practice Mode only would be counter-productive to making the game approachable to casual gamers. While there will always be special attention paid to the competitive hardcore gamers, there should also be a niche for people who just like to get on every now and then and get in a good game. As such, ultimately it would be nice for all game modes to be queable in Normal Play.

I think the new map Magma Chamber is a step in the right direction. A simple change of scenery is not enough; new objectives and ways of completing those objectives are what keep maps fresh. The teleportation system hinted at reminds me very much of a map from WC3 called Eve of the Apocalypse (which featured three selectable battlefields all in a WC3 map - pretty impressive, but it suffered from memory leaks as the game progressed).