Rengar - underpowered, borderline useless

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShaIom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-21-2012

Completely useless champ, absolute trash atm, close to how bad yorick was at release, yet again, yorick was a tragedy at release.

Forte42

08-21-2012

I feel like Rengar is a TAD underpowered but not by much. I jungle most of the time and I've jungled with Mao, Skarner, Shaco, Nocturne and Jarv. (Although I REALLY don't like taking Jarv jungle, I like playing him top) I feel like compared to those junglers, he lacks a gap closer. For instance, Shaco's q, Mao's w, Jarv's combo and Nocturne and Skarner are just plain fast. I know his brush jump is SUPPOSED to be a gap closer but it's range is too short to be used practically for ganking. That being said, he does pretty good damage and he's not real tanky but certaintly doesn't feel squishy. Solid really. I haven't played him top yet but I feel that theoretically he should have some pretty good sustain with his w and a spirit visage but you guys seem to be having a hard time with it. Maybe once some guides come out it'll help his effectiveness in top lane but I feel like the one thing that really needs to be done is buff his brush jump range. Oh, also I haven't been able to snowball his item well, maybe that's just me though.

Glaedren

08-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutNinja View Post
I can't seem to do much with him, even if I get fed I spent a good 30 seconds chasing down a wukong 2 lvls lower than me and getting him down roughly to half health. His 5 ferocity should maybe be reduced to 4 to make him more effective with how weak he is, or improve his AD scaling.
They should improve the AD scaling on his E so that it's more attractive than just for ganks. And then they should seriously nerf the scaling on his Q. 250% total AD scaling is just obscene.

I did the math earlier, and with 70 AD (a very conservative number) vs an enemy with 19 armor (easily doable with runes and masteries against an enemy's runes and masteries) that combo is going to do 350 damage at level 1. Add a few auto attacks (with a nearly doubled attack speed) and an ignite?

Anyone with even a modicum of skill can get, at worst, an empty lane for a minute or so; or, at best, an easy first blood.

He's definitely a one trick pony, but it's a very good trick.

Maximum Spooky

08-21-2012

i'm not sure what i was expecting, but he was advertised as a hunter/jungler type of character and despite that he has some of the worst ganks i've experienced in a long time

his bush leap is extremely fussy, most of the time his leap gets stuck on a corner and doesn't reach the target or simply stutters and refuses to launch in the bush, making chasing impossible in certain areas of the map. his auto attack animation has almost no synergy with his own kit, making it really difficult to "min/max" your abilities inbetween auto attacks when your AS gets moderately high. then again, most of his animations in general have a really 'tacked on' feel to them

maybe cho'gath and support junglers in general have spoiled me, but rengar's release is just giving me nostalgia of when yorick and riven came out. blatantly underpowered, complete hindrance to their own team, took weeks for buff patches to get rolled out and make them actually playable.

08-21-2012

same feeling

Maximum Spooky

08-21-2012

just to reiterate, people aren't necessarily complaining that he isn't free kills on wheels that just goes around making every lane he touches die, it's that he's probably one of the least threatening creatures that could ever pop up in the enemy lane

at least when i'm 7/1 as cho'gath, udyr or any other established jungler and i come strolling out of a bush, the enemy team actually feels mildly threatened. (・ω・`)

Krom

08-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xofraz View Post
Slow jungle clear and even if you go 9/21/0 you almost have to go cloth 5 regardless. I thought he was going to be way better kinda disappointed.

If he maybe started with his item he might be a lot better.

You can clear with boots 3 but your really low like a lot of tankier jungles.
Yeah, um, no. His clear time is stupid fast, like wait on respawn fast.

21-9, DMG,AR,MR,MS, grab a Dorans Blade, tear through jungle.

Maximum Spooky

08-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krom View Post
Yeah, um, no. His clear time is stupid fast, like wait on respawn fast.

21-9, DMG,AR,MR,MS, grab a Dorans Blade, tear through jungle.

best results i've had with rengar so far has been 21/9 with as/arp mix of reds, full vamp quints, armor yellers and whatever you want for blues

being able to sustain farm on him is probably one of the only ways to actually remain relevant in levels if you're unable to gank constantly, and since he doesn't actually have a real gap closer, there's going to be tons of missed opportunities that almost any other jungler would've had

then again, you're probably just better off playing shyvanna in almost every regard until they sort out whatever convoluted theory they had behind rengar's design in the first place

CounterSnipe

08-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0achthelooter View Post
Let's start off with Rengar's role in a ranked game. You can either send him to solo top lane or jungle.

Solo Top

If you compare Rengar to common top picks, you can tell he's severely lacking. Both Garen and Darius can be built as heavy tank builds while still doing a large amount of damage, Rengar can't. The two champs mentioned also provide just as much utility as Rengar with silence and Darius grab.
In summary, I don't really see Rengar doing any role better than existing champs, in fact, it's probably the opposite, he seems to do them worse than existing champs.
This is why it's important to watch the spotlights before buying champions. Also consider the fact that LoL has over 100 champions right now... Not every one of them can be custom fit into ranked play. Consider this guy to be a casual blind pick kind of guy, like Akali or Katarina.

Maximum Spooky

08-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSnipe View Post
This is why it's important to watch the spotlights before buying champions. Also consider the fact that LoL has over 100 champions right now... Not every one of them can be custom fit into ranked play. Consider this guy to be a casual blind pick kind of guy, like Akali or Katarina.

there's so much wrong with this post