Rengar - underpowered, borderline useless

1234511 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

r0achthelooter

08-21-2012

Let's start off with Rengar's role in a ranked game. You can either send him to solo top lane or jungle.

Solo Top

If you compare Rengar to common top picks, you can tell he's severely lacking. Both Garen and Darius can be built as heavy tank builds while still doing a large amount of damage, Rengar can't. The two champs mentioned also provide just as much utility as Rengar with silence and Darius grab.

If you go with a less tanky, more damage based build, well, everyone knows glass cannon, melee range DPS is completely invalid, but even if you went this route, he still under performs compared to melee DPS champs such as Jax, Yi, Trynd, etc.

Build as a balanced bruiser? Jax, Riven, and others are going to outperform you since they bring just as much damage while also providing stuns as well, not to mention less easy to counter pick?

Let's compare Rengar to even less conventional tank tops such as Mordekaiser and Warwick. Warwick built with a Madred Razor as his only damage item is going to do just as much damage, while also providing more benefit to the team with his CC ult on the carry during fights, and also having much higher sustain in lane.

You can build Mord entirely as a tank, do more damage than Rengar, and also have much higher defense through shielding.

What about in the jungle?

Same story here. Compare him to a common, idiot-proof jungler like Warwick and you have the exact same issues as comparing him with Warwick in top lane. Rengar's lackluster ult vs Warwicks valuable CC providing ult for team fights is no contest, especially consider their damage will be similar, with Warwick having better sustain. The comparison is exactly the same for Rengar vs Skarner.

What's that you say? Rengar can gank earlier? Maybe at level 2 with his lasso thing? So can any jungler that takes exhaust.

In summary, I don't really see Rengar doing any role better than existing champs, in fact, it's probably the opposite, he seems to do them worse than existing champs.

Shiekk

08-21-2012

you haven't played against a rengar top or in the jungle yet.... or you're bad, he has an unbelievable early and mid game, as well as scaling decently, nerfs incoming bud, not buffs

Jamaree

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-21-2012

Pretty much, everyone is just caught up in the "Oh, I lost one game to him in normals, must be OP" thing as usual.

Hawkhell

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-21-2012

I feel the same way. Hes cool to play but really doesn't seem to do the job of others. He can take a turret faster then a mofo. I don't see nerfs coming.

DragnDave

08-21-2012

I dunno, after playing him, he's not doing much for me......

vats3

08-21-2012

well iv been playing rengar and i also personally do mord solo top and and shaco jungle (have been trying lee sin jungle too) il give you an idea of how rengar dose for this
rengar solo top- are you joking? no harras your only healing is your w with max fury your only real way to attack is wait in a bush while maby if you get good ganks you could pull it of by jump on them with your jungler
now rengar jungle- "oh the jump is over powered it makes his ganks op" his jump sucks bad its range is really bad normally since most bushes are to far out to use and you can easily avoid it, if you bring flash for your ganks then your passive is useless his ganks do get kinda scary when he gets his ult but any good jungler dosent need lvl 6 to gank while at the same time shaco's Q can screw people over when ganking and isent limmited to a bush i fully agree that most the common things you might do with him can be done better with other characters :/

Terrornaut

08-21-2012

Some good points Roach. Hes a fun character, and I feel hes probably meant to be "for fun" rather than a super effective, well rounded top tier pick. He Is flavor and variety, but not evenly on the same level as a few other champs.

Ira et Tolio

08-21-2012

He's fine where he's at. You play him like Riven if you run him solo top, and his ganks are insanely effective, especially if you can get a double e off, if you run him jungle.

CleanCutNinja

08-21-2012

I can't seem to do much with him, even if I get fed I spent a good 30 seconds chasing down a wukong 2 lvls lower than me and getting him down roughly to half health. His 5 ferocity should maybe be reduced to 4 to make him more effective with how weak he is, or improve his AD scaling.

DarkSideCreo

08-21-2012

Dunno, he seems like an pretty good jungler. Just need to manage his ferocity, so you can always gank with 5 stacks, and pull the snare off after jumping on them. I guess pre 6 ganks will be weak, but after 6 - shaco level, plus snare/slow.

1234511 ... 14