[Video] Playing Veigar Effectively

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nomtaro

08-21-2012

Hi everyone, I've started a series of LoL tutorials called "League in the Fast Lane".

Today I released the second episode, which is a guide on how to play Veigar.

I really hope you enjoy it, and feel free to leave feedback and criticism!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWUP5UOOwbc

Thanks,

-Nom

MemoryLapse

08-21-2012

Well done! Concise, informative and put together nicely.

I subscribed. Check out my lol guides if you don't mind 40-50 minute guides that go into serious detail.

http://www.youtube.com/user/vizierfennin?feature=mhee

Jookah

12-27-2012

Mine isnt really a guide... Just a legendary vid as me playing veigar Shows off my prime build with 900+ AP, enjoy!

HERE

doomed2death

12-27-2012

Some feedback (I main Veigar so):

-With the recent MS boost to most champs, on top of running MS Quints, I think Boots+Pots is a rather situational start. Against some heavier poke lanes that don't rely on skill shots (think Katarina), I like running Faerie Charm + Crystalline Flask + Pots. What does this do for me? Well, I have similar MS to most of the other champs (since they're usually running AP Quints). On top of that, I have the MP regen from the Faerie Charm and my runes/masteries to spam my Q without running out of MP for my E in the case of a gank. This ensures I'm ready for mid game, especially since pushing me out of the lane with 600 HP worth of potions keeps me farming for a long time. It's worked out for me personally.

-Going off that, I think CDR is a very important trait for Veigar since, as you noted in the video, his cooldowns are atrocious (on top of Q Farming). So I think the Athene's Unholy Grail is a pretty good item. The Magic Resistance is a godsend during laning from the Chalice and the MP Regen ensures farming your Q is a breeze. Late game, with the Deathfire Grasp, my Q has a ~2.6 second cooldown which isn't just amazing for farming up AP; it also helps me have some sustained damage throughout team fights. Also, never short on mp again!

If you're thinking it delays his damage output... Well... 65 AP, the CDR, the MP, and the ability to farm your Q that much more means that I, in most of my games, have more AP than the opposition even if they have better farm than me and went straight for, say, a deathcap.

I understand the above are opinionated build questions but the below are a few more legitimate concerns in regards to the guide itself:

-I think you should go over more situational items as well. When can I skip Doran's Rings? Why might I possibly buy a Rylai's (I don't think I ever have but hey, you never know)? Etc. I mean, it's concise and nice but giving just a 6 item core and never expanding beyond that doesn't really give a player the opportunity to try out different items and master their own playstyle. Hell, I've ran Ninja Tabi VS a 2 AD Bruisers, 1 AD Carry, Lee Sin Jungle, 1 Support team before. Rushed Zhonya before anything else. Saved my game. What about all the other options? Also, what about tier 3 boots? I'm personally a fan of Alacrity but do you think there are better options?

-I don't think you really go over how to use his kit. His Q for farming sure... But his W? His W gives vision to the landing spot which makes it a great replacement for face checking bushes. Also, nobody wants to get hit by his W considering its great AP ratio and Veigar's AP. So you can use it to push back enemies or position them for your teammates. Also, farming wraiths really quick with your W can be very beneficial. It has all these uses! For his E, there's the fact that you can block off pathways of escape/aggression with its massive area. No flash or Shunpo has enough range to bypass both of the walls. Also, you might go over landing the walls on your enemy instead of just trapping them inside the range. On top of all that, it also zones opponents like his W does, and can be used to trap opponents within the area instead of just stunning them leading to an effective 5 second snare. For his R... Well it's a single target kickass nuke. What's there to say? :P I mean Veigar has so much utility that you don't mention-at all.

-Mention Veigar's RANGE! It's utter **** compared to a lot of champs (other than his wonderful wonderful E). And it cripples him (which is why the mobility is so vital for Veigar) but not mentioning it, in my opinion, is a mistake.

-More importantly, Veigar's lane stage! In my opinion, this is the big reason why Veigar is so situational-he's too easily countered in laning. So going over how to avoid poking, initiate aggression in lane, etc. is a very good idea.

-Veigar is also easily countered in general so going over matchups (LeBlanc, Katarina, etc.) is a good idea. Veigar isn't just countered by mobile champs. He's also countered by Silence, Burst Damage, Defensive champs (Mordekaiser, Vladimir), etc. It's a major disservice to not consider these in a guide. I had to learn all these things the hard way while mastering Veigar myself.

-Conversely, Veigar works well with certain champs. Aggressive junglers make the best use of his stun. champions like Katarina, Fiddle, Amumu also use his stun very well. Other CC'ers like Amumu or Blitz set up kills for Veigar extraordinarily and kills are as vital as Q farm for a champ that can snowball like Veigar does.

-Positioning! I don't think any guide goes over this well enough but Veigar is interesting in that he's so squishy he always needs to be in the back but his low ranges bring him closer to the center of the fight. You go over it a bit with "stay in the back while your cooldowns are going" but there's more to it isn't there?

-Timing his skills is important too. Sometimes you just stun every time it's off cooldown but sometimes you gotta wait on that Katarina or sometimes you have to wait for that Talon to start charging you. Especially with his Stun (which somehow becomes the core of his kit in a lot of ways), there's a lot of timing issues you have to consider.

I understand this is meant to be concise but going over some of these things is vital to master the champion. If you did read this, thanks for taking the time!

By the way, overall, it was a very nice guide. Concise, quick, to the point but also covering most of the vital points of building Veigar (I didn't really think you hit on playing Veigar quite enough).

Shesocold

12-27-2012

Lol I'm trying to get better with veigar and then these guides just fall from the sky XD