Wukong Builds and Strategies

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NamKim

08-24-2012

Haha, you guys probably thought I forgot about this thread. I didn't. I just waited until all the posting was done before I comment.

First of all, I just want to thank you all for replying. I really do appreciate it and I have/will read all the posts here...nao...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volandum View Post
Core items: Trinity Force, Brutaliser, Executioner's Calling
Good items: Mercury Treads, Ionian Boots, Last Whisper, Hexdrinker, Atma's Impaler, Sanguine Blade
This is interesting since this build is very similar to my Jax build. But I guess that Wukong and Jax are not that far off from each other. While I think I'm better with Jax, I prefer playing Wukong since I love Wukong more.

Quote:
Strengths: Effective harass and wave clearing, powerful teamfighting ultimate, armour reduction
This is good since this is the type of stuff I want to contribute to a game.

Quote:
Weaknesses: vulnerable to stealth detection, poor duellist
The stealth detection is something I will have to work on to overcome. Fortunately, not many people get stealth detection at my elo. This will give me plenty of time and practice to overcome this weakness.

As with the weak duelist part, the more I play Dominion, I more I feel that my dueling skills are improving. I am learning when I should jump into a fight I will obvious die in if it's for the greater good. At the same time, I am learning when not to jump into a fight because there is no greater good and I am dying in vain.

Quote:
I'm doing okay, summer was tolerable, I am looking forward to snow, not interested in adminstrative tasks, I have a very cheap Dell gaming laptop with superb specs, it is awkward, I'm not sure it makes you any nicer to ask those questions, but the ending statement helps.
The Dominion forum is so pessimistic sometimes that I just kind of want to lighten the mood a little. I'm naturally a little...hyper so I want to bring that type of attitude here and hope it rubs off a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscworldDeath View Post
Don't discount mobility boots. He's quite mobile, so it helps him get places, and close the distance for that E>Q.
I tend to get boots of mobility on any champions when I know that the other team wins in terms of firepower. My goal then is to disrupt the team's formation. Trying to defeat four powerful champions at the windmill is suicide. But trying to take the enemy mid often gets at least two guys down which makes my team have a fighting chance at the windmill. But I will consider boots of mobility for other scenarios. I should experiment a little.

Quote:
Furthermore, if you gank, and W just in the fog of war, the boots of mobility help you close more distance while stealthed. Assuming you don't just run at them and save the W to de-aggro, which might often be better...
Ah, I must try this strategy out in the near future. Thank you for giving me this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
Panzerzs is the top Wukong player I can think of and he forgoes the typical Trinity Force build for a Phage/Hexdrinker/Brutalizer/Last Whisper build with Ionian/Merc/Ninja boots and Prospector's Blade.(NOTE: I have no idea if Fratma's is better or worse than any other build, e.g. Trinity).
Wukong is supposed to be a top dominion pick and I plan to buy him next so I'm interested in the answers to many of your questions as well.
Wukong was definitely an investment. But like I said before, he is the only exception to my "do not buy 6300 IP champions until I have enough cheaper ones for variety."

As for the alternate build, I will definitely check this out. I tend to get Sheen and Phage near the mid game due to their effects. Sheen giving me that extra firepower in fights and Phage allowing me to chase enemies more effectively. Brutalizer is already a part of my build since it is cheap but gives me a ton of benefits like extra damage and cooldown reduction.

It seems that Wukong can use a multitude of different types of boots. I need to learn which is best for which situation...

[QUOTE=PXShaman;28488557]What are the core items that I should use for Wukong?
TF into IE, fun times
CDR boots, and brutalizer
Interesting. You seem to go for a more "AD Carry" build rather than the "Tanky DPS" build that I am often used to. I will have to try this out again. I tried to do this once but failed. But that was when I was first starting off in Dominion. I think I am a lot better now and can probably pull this off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PXShaman View Post
-What specific strategies are good for Wukong?
Use those bushes, your W is the best skill ever in dominion
That is interesting. I never thought of Wukong's W being that powerful but a lot of people here seems to think it is very powerful. I need to experiment a little more with his W. I guess my timing is what's holding it back.

Quote:
-What are the strengths of Wukong?
He becomes a shaco on this map with some of the craziest burst, and juking is easy.
He definitely sounds fun to play.

Quote:
-What are the weaknesses of Wukong?
If they can see you, you are ****.
Then the ones who can see me must die...painfully...a lot...LIKE YOU!!! Just kidding...

Quote:
-Who is Wukong strong against?
Everyone but these people.

-Who is Wukong weak against?
Riven, and any real melee people that have an aoe stun were they really don't have to aim.
Yeah...but I think most people are weak against those guys...

Quote:
-Who are the top Dominion players that main Wukong?
Me
First of all, congrats.
Second of all, I guess I should really take your advice seriously then.

Quote:
-How are you guys doing?
I am pretty awesome bot, RiotNome "Might" have beat me, but I play for fun, and Wukong is by far, the funnest champion Riot has ever made. If you really wana be good you just gotta play enough, and know when to use your W. I have blocked ults, kill shots, summoner spells, everything cause I knew when, and how they were going to use it.
I will definitely be playing more Wukong in the future. Jax is fun and all...but he's not Wukong. So, me playing an OP champion is not justified in that situation. I just decided to play Jax since I had him and playing him allowed me to learn some map basics while being able to split my attention and still do well. I think I'm ready to move on to other champions now.

Got to learn that W timing. Even on SR, how you use that W is the difference between a good Wukong player and a mediocre Wukong player.

Also, I'm sure you'll get RiotNome next time.

Quote:
-How was your summer?
Good, I hit a big losing streak earlier, but pulled out of it with some crazy games.
Good thing that you play for fun. I'm sure your luck with change soon.

Quote:
-Are you looking forward to a lot of snow this year?
Yeah I hope, I bought a house and wana shovel the side walk.
No young relatives you can take advantage of?

Quote:
-Anyone interested in trying to set up a "Riot vs. Pro" Dominion battle?
Hell yeah I want to rematch RiotNome, he is really good, but he got lucky. If I had General Wukong skin I would of "beat" him
We need you on that team against Riot then.
General Wukong? I guess that means you will be the general that will lead us to victory then.

Quote:
-Anyone have any cool computer spec builds they want to brag about?
I got a lappy.
Same here. But I'm not complaining since I at least have something that can play League of Legends without major lag.

Quote:
-Is it awkward that I am asking these type of questions?
No, I answer everything, I play wukong cause when you click him he says I am the greatest, which I am.
Glad to know you have a champion that matches you.
Also, I reply to everything...

Quote:
-Just trying to be nice...
Awesome. come play with me, I want people to see how fun he is.
Fair warning: I am still new to this game and not that great a player. So, don't rage on me...too hard...

Quote:
Edit:
But really, he has so many weaknesses. it isn't so much CC, it is just that he is a hardcore in your face fighter. Meaning if you get anything to stop a fighter it would work. Wardens Mail, Thornmail, Frozen Heart, and then the items that can see you are a terrible weakness, it means you have no escape. But most fun champ ever.
Playing a champion with little weaknesses is boring. Playing a champion that is strong but have a ton of weaknesses that you must learn to overcome is far more fun and requires far more skills.

I thank you for your long and detailed post.

Quote:
This build has many things going for it. You get quite useful passives, and the AD adds up for relatively cheap. You can get this build on anyone who likes going into melee and has good AD scaling - Pantheon, Xin, Jax, Lee Sin, Darius, etc.

But in the end you still upgrade these items, so it can still become a Triforce build. Just a late Triforce.
I think I tend to like champions that are "tanky DPS." They do a lot of damage but they also have a lot of armor, resistance, and health. It allows me to be a little risky but still do a lot of damage.

I tend to get Sheen and Phage early on for their effects. I used to rush them but I was criticized for that. I now rush Brutalizer instead since I think that is a better item to rush now. I enjoy the cooldown and armor pen I get from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
you could definitely go TF with that build and many of the other top players such as Sifucalvin seem to. Panzerzs tends to go with Frozen Mallet and early upgrades and LW as opposed to Trinity. Again, I'm not sure which build is preferable but since I've been scouting people's matches attempting to determine a good Wu build.
I tend to go the Trinity Force route. I think Phreak had a big impact in my League of Legends life. But I do like Frozen Mallet. I will probably go that direction if I am very fed and just need to stop people from running away from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuggetts View Post
How I Play this furball

Start with Prospector and lvl 1 boots and a health pot. Mana is likely to not be a problem for you.

Get Ionian boots (only boots i ever buy with him). Get the Trinity next, I get the Zeal first then the Phage then the Sheen.

Then i get the Ghostblade, get the Bruitilizer portion first.

Atma's is good.

MUST get a Executioner's against a large number of champs. I call refer to it as the "Mundo Killer" but it's great against a wide variety of champs.
I start off very similar to this. I get prospector, basic boots, and health pots.

I upgrade my boots or get brutalizer.

I actually get Sheen first due to it allow me to get more burst damage. I tend to take advantage of the ability to go in and out of battles a lot. I tend to commit only when I know some has my back, forced into a battle, or I feel I have a high chance of winning.

Then I get phage since I find the slow very helpful. Then I get zeal. But this is more due to my playstyle more than anything else.

This build was actually my adaptation of Sauron's Jax build. I put a little twist here and there but the core is based on Sauron's build.

I learned the importance of Executioner's. I find it very helpful on champions with any type of healing abilities. It was absolutely necessary when I found myself going against a Yorick.

Quote:
For runes I don't want a dedicated rune page for just ONE champ so i go with an all-round good rune lineup. Armor Pierce Red and Quints, Health per lvl yellow and Magic Resist per level blues. I try to always get the "per level" runes because i think you're just gunna get more out of it. I'm sure there are better runes out there like slapping in some more Cooldown Reduction but like i said, i want 1 runepage that i can use for Wu/Olaf/Lee/Trundies/Ect. ect. so i find this is a good (or good enough) rune layout for Wu.
Rune pages and runes are expensive so I also try to be more generic. I have to use my AD/Tank Rune page out of necessity.

On Dominion, I prefer "per level" runes since I did the math and it becomes better than "flat" runes by level 5-6.

Quote:
21-9-0
Done, done, and done.

Quote:
For Summoner spells i always go with Ghost and Flash.
I tend to pick Revive over Flash. Once again, that is just my playstyle. Also, I am at the elo where no one else picks it and it is amazing advantage to have over the enemy team.

I tend to pick Garrison since combined with Wukong's ult, I can defend a point incredibly well. As you can tell, I pick a more "tanky" defensive Wukong than an offensive one.

Quote:
When rushing over to defend a tower it's always fun to Decoy right before you get out of the shadows to give yourself a nice gap closing distance before you start to attack. If they see you coming they are gunna take off and you're stuck using your E to get back ontop of them. Decoy out of the shadows, get ontop of them and attack. They stun you, use your E and you're right back ontop of them. This is also why i like Ghost and Flash so much on wukong. Decoy and then hit Ghost, they'll think you're a mile away and turns out you're right ontop of them.
I think I might experiment a little and try ghost out. This is the first time I seen someone suggest using ghosts other than "rush to the windmill."

Quote:
I hear you wanna make sure to auto attack AND THEN Q. I don't know the math behind it but it seems to do a lot of damage. So try that.
I will. I often use crushing blow right away if my team is near. That way, their attacks does a lot more damage. I'm sure that is more damage than anything else. Using the Q after the AA is good since Q ignores the AA timer so I can use it right after to "double hit."

Quote:
Most people by default think that when you're standing still it's your decoy. Get good at fooling people into thinking that you are you're decoy if you can. I suck at it but I think that this is what separates the men from the boys when it comes to Wukong.
The only problem is that some players tend to know the difference. I can tell the difference since Wukong "twitches" when he uses decoy. But even so, I seen some good Wukong players still pull of successful tricks even with this weakness.

Quote:
There are some champs that you just HAVE to turn and run from or you WILL die. You simply won't kill Jax or Fiora. They will kill you every time. Even at dangerously low HP these two can still rape a Wukong. Don't even bother fighting these two. There's no items in the game that are going to even the odds against them so don't think that because you have X Y or Z that you're gunna get'em.
Definitely good to know. I know to avoid Jax but Fiora is new to me.

Quote:
There are others that will give you hard time but a Executioner's Calling or a Quicksilver Sash will help a lot.
Those two items I tend to aim for a lot. QSS if the enemy team have a lot of crowd controls. Executioner's if the other team tends to focus a lot on healing or lifesteal.

Quote:
I had a discussion with someone yesterday on eu-w which reminded me. I used to always go Frozen Mallet on Wukong, I even usually went Frozen Mallet on Irelia.
I take Frozen Mallets sometimes...just not recently...

Quote:
I was playing around 1,600 Elo at the time, and everyone on my team went full squishy. So I'd go for the tankier build, with slightly less damage, because we were already drowning in damage.
The reason I stopped was because I'd catch people, and I'd slowly chip away at their health, and chip, and chip, and they were even slowed.
Yet somehow always the enemy team came there to turn it into a 2v1 or 3v1 before my team did... so I moved to Triforce, did massive damage fast, and if I had to run they still had to go b at the very least.
So, Frozen Mallets are good but I need more map awareness to use it properly. Also, Trinity Force might just be overall better.

Pretty much, just use my better judgement which is better.

Quote:
But now that teams are more organized, and there's a better chance of someone coming to help and capitalize off of the permaslow, I might give Frozen Mallet a try again on some champs.
My elo is still low enough where I sometimes feel like I'm alone at times :'(. I will try this in the future when there is more "team unity." Although, the lack of team unity is also something I use to my advantage against other teams. It is is how I take care of champions like Jax, Yorick, and Kass. Since since if they are OP, if I ping them, they cannot fight off 3-4 champions by themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackDAILO View Post
One of the most notable Wukong players is Panzerzs.
I believe someone said this before. I will definitely look him up in the future.
Quote:
I personally also main Wukong in dominion.
I hope to as well. I currently main Jax but he is most likely going to get banned. But I enjoy Wukong more

Quote:
Build:
I would always start with Blade and rush Brutalizer. The arpen offered along with my runes and mastery will give me a solid damage output through the first part of the game. Phage and CDR boots will definitely come next.

From then on, go for either Mallet or Triforce depending on the team comp. I get Mallet most of the time. The HP offered combined with your passive makes you innately extremely tanky in fights. However, if you aren't the sole tanyDeePS on your team, go for the triforce.

Then depending on enemy, I would go for an Atmas or Maw. Youmuus then LW.
Executioner's Calling is also excellent.
This is very similar to my build. But I prefer Sheen over Mallet. But I think I might reconsider depending on the situation.

Is Atmas still good? I heard that he got nerfed and is not as good anymore.
==========================
In conclusion, yes, I do read these posts and I do read them actively. Thanks for the advice. Of course you may add more. However, I might not respond back if they are stuff that has already been said. I will still read them.

kthxbai

DG TheFeedski

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-24-2012

Seems like everyone has already prepped you on the item build, but i'm gonna toss in a piece of information that I have seen before that is fun to do with Wukong.

As everyone probably knows, Wukong's W leaves a clone in a spot, while he turns invisible for a short time and can run away. Now a lot of players know this, and continue to run in the direction they think the Wukong is heading, which is generally the same direction they were running. I've seen some tricksters use W and run the opposite way, but also have seen them do something else... Not even use the W at all... They will run, push "S" to stop, and make it appear that they used his W, while the enemy generally keeps "chasing" you. You can then run the opposite way, or ACTUALLY use W to escape.

NamKim

08-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFeedski View Post
Seems like everyone has already prepped you on the item build, but i'm gonna toss in a piece of information that I have seen before that is fun to do with Wukong.

As everyone probably knows, Wukong's W leaves a clone in a spot, while he turns invisible for a short time and can run away. Now a lot of players know this, and continue to run in the direction they think the Wukong is heading, which is generally the same direction they were running. I've seen some tricksters use W and run the opposite way, but also have seen them do something else... Not even use the W at all... They will run, push "S" to stop, and make it appear that they used his W, while the enemy generally keeps "chasing" you. You can then run the opposite way, or ACTUALLY use W to escape.
I seen this used before. However, it is somehow obvious when Wukong uses his W since he does "twitch."

However, you gave me an idea. Why not use W and not even move at all? The twitch will be there so people will think you used it. Whichever way they go, go the opposite direction.

I just realized that Wukong's W can be a lot of fun depending on how I use it.

I also learned that you need to change things up. People tend to realize your W patterns pretty quickly so I need to mix it up.

DG TheFeedski

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamKim View Post
I seen this used before. However, it is somehow obvious when Wukong uses his W since he does "twitch."

However, you gave me an idea. Why not use W and not even move at all? The twitch will be there so people will think you used it. Whichever way they go, go the opposite direction.

I just realized that Wukong's W can be a lot of fun depending on how I use it.

I also learned that you need to change things up. People tend to realize your W patterns pretty quickly so I need to mix it up.
You can do a lot with his W, which is why he is a fun champion, in my opinion. Play with him a bit and see what you can figure out. Good luck.

DiscworldDeath

08-24-2012

The real issue with clones is if someone clicks on the clone, they see it has no items.

Start phage, then get sheen/zeal. Used to usually get Sheen, but these days I tend to get Zeal first on Wukong, for the MS, crit, AS.
But your passive, and your auto attacking nature, as well as two chances with AA>Q? I'd definitely get phage first.
And yes, you have to try for that AA>Q.

The decoy>Ghost idea mentioned above is same as me with Boots of Mobility+W idea.

I hope you use flat armour, over armour/level. Early game auto-attacks are huge, even mages deal a lot of physical damage early game. Turrets and even minions are all big sources of damage early game. That's why I suggest going for flat armour.

I personally go 9/21/0 rather than 21/9/0. It's my personal preference on melee bruisers. I like the CDR a lot, I like the MS to get places. I really like the Tenacity effect. I just feel the later levels of the offensive tree don't give me nearly as much.
Also, I like MS quints. I found out if I go 21/9/0 and no MS quints either, I often chase people and don't get additional auto attacks off. The small difference in MS is really important for melee champions for catching up/running away from people. But that's me.

blackDAILO

08-24-2012

Also, sometimes I would use the E->W first in fights for the clone to be the meat shield, just for the purpose of soaking in CC and the majority of damage.

And don't be afraid to ult the whole enemy team once you have a decent amount of hp pool. The passive would make you extremely tanky especially during mid game. If thing go wrong, you can always just cancel the ult and w out.

naotasan

08-24-2012

I'll try to answer your questions.
Sidenote: All answers are based off of my experience with Wukong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamKim View Post
==========================
-What are the core items that I should use for Wukong?
I generally build like this: ProsBlade/Lv1Boots/2 HP Pots -> Upgrade boots to situation requirements, buy sheen, buy BFSword, depending now I'm doing at this point in the game, upgrade BFsword to Sanguine Blade, and then finish off triforce. All items after that are situational.
Learning when to decoy is one of his strongest abilities. Additionally, learning when to "fake" a decoy is another strong ability. His ultimate works wonders if your team has other AoE skills (Lulu+Wukong, Malphite+Wukong, I'm sure you see where I'm going with this)

Armor pen, bruiser, and decoy. Fighting around a lot of enemy champions makes his passive godlike.

-What are the weaknesses of Wukong?
CC (almost everyone is weak to this), anything that shows that he used a decoy (Sweeper for example), and attack speed debuffs.

-Who is Wukong strong against?
Once you get Phage, just about everyone except people with epic escape tactics (See: Kaassadin)

Who is Wukong weak against?
I've seen Lulu wreck Wukong up. Jax can do good too as long as he doesn't fall for the decoy. I haven't really been paying much attention to what gets me every time... bad on my part right?

-Who are the top Dominion players that main Wukong?
Not sure. Sorry.

-How are you guys doing?
Ok

-How was your summer?
50/50

-Are you looking forward to a lot of snow this year?
No snow here.

-Anyone interested in trying to set up a "Riot vs. Pro" Dominion battle?
This has already happened, but I would love to see it again.

Panzerzs

10-27-2012

[QUOTE=NamKim;28486929]Hello Summoners!!

-What are the core items that I should use for Wukong?

-Sorry, I was just studying and stumbled across this thread; I know im late x.x
-Special thanks to be the ppl who noted me, but I doubt im the best player, my leader thinks otherwise hue

-My new core builds is Pros boots potions - early (u want the full damage as a bruiser)
-Ur next should be a quick brut, and a phage for armor shred + hp sustain + a slow (your boots I would say if u wanna play serious should be mercs/ninja tabi.
-You then MUST build situational; the reason why frozen mallet is outplayed by tri force is cause frozen mallet is a tank item while tri force is flexible. In the end, ur job is to be sustainable, but u need damage, and frozen mallet cannot give enough damage late game, but tri force can.
-My end builds follow literally all my bruisers, (Prospector, boots, Ghostblade (upgrade brut before 20min marks b/c brut will fall off in damage since everyone rushes def), phage, Maw OR/AND frozenheart. These 2 items represent the hard defense/magic def items. I pick FH over randuins b/c the frozen heart benefits the whole team with the 20% debuff aura, and it gives Cooldown (with ghostblade = 35-40%) which makes Wu kong's Q = 3 seconds = -30% armor lasts 3 seconds, the enemy u hit will have -30% def for the whole duration unless he runs away huehue.

Aight so I feel like im writing too much, so Heres my core build:
Pros
Boots (situational)
Brut - Ghostblade
Phage (leave it a phage until late game where u can decide between tri force, or FM) Hexdrinker & pickaxe - (with these 2 items, u can either rush maw, or LW)
frozen heart for max cooldown.
Last whisper (rush it depending on how fast enemy builds def)

That's 7 items, u can sell pros LATE GAME (i repeat, dont sell pros early unless u are getting ur last item or ur 2nd last item)

-Wu kong excels BEST w/ AoE ult champs, Friend Painkillar and Captnbuwberry, they'll tell you why Wu kong does best with teammates with AoE ults =) Enjoy!

& Word of advice ! Don't play wu kong every single game, it makes people mad b/c wu kong is a tier 2 champ in dom XD

IronAegis

10-27-2012

1. Be cheesecake
2. ?
3. Profit