Wukong Builds and Strategies

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NamKim

08-21-2012

Hello Summoners!!

I wanted to ask if anyone can give me some advice on using Wukong on Dominion. Keep in mind that I do not want to use Wukong because he is OP on Dominion (I have Jax for that). But rather because Wukong is one of my favorite champions and is currently the only exception to the "I will not buy a champion that is 6300 IP until I buy all the ones that are 450 IP, 1350 IP, and 3150 IP champions first." This rule was instated so I would have a variety of champions that I may use (I like to switch it up) and allow more trading strategies in draft pick.

==========================
-What are the core items that I should use for Wukong?

-What specific strategies are good for Wukong?

-What are the strengths of Wukong?

-What are the weaknesses of Wukong?

-Who is Wukong strong against?

-Who is Wukong weak against?

-Who are the top Dominion players that main Wukong?

-How are you guys doing?

-How was your summer?

-Are you looking forward to a lot of snow this year?

-Anyone interested in trying to set up a "Riot vs. Pro" Dominion battle?

-Anyone have any cool computer spec builds they want to brag about?

-Is it awkward that I am asking these type of questions?

-Just trying to be nice...

-You guys are awesome...

==========================
Linking me to guides is also fine but I rather hear your personal thoughts over just a random person's guide.

Volandum

08-21-2012

Core items: Trinity Force, Brutaliser, Executioner's Calling
Good items: Mercury Treads, Ionian Boots, Last Whisper, Hexdrinker, Atma's Impaler, Sanguine Blade
Strengths: Effective harass and wave clearing, powerful teamfighting ultimate, armour reduction
Weaknesses: vulnerable to stealth detection, poor duellist
Top Dominion players: dunno
I'm doing okay, summer was tolerable, I am looking forward to snow, not interested in adminstrative tasks, I have a very cheap Dell gaming laptop with superb specs, it is awkward, I'm not sure it makes you any nicer to ask those questions, but the ending statement helps.

DiscworldDeath

08-21-2012

Don't discount mobility boots. He's quite mobile, so it helps him get places, and close the distance for that E>Q.

Furthermore, if you gank, and W just in the fog of war, the boots of mobility help you close more distance while stealthed. Assuming you don't just run at them and save the W to de-aggro, which might often be better...

jremmons

08-21-2012

Panzerzs is the top Wukong player I can think of and he forgoes the typical Trinity Force build for a Phage/Hexdrinker/Brutalizer/Last Whisper build with Ionian/Merc/Ninja boots and Prospector's Blade.(NOTE: I have no idea if Fratma's is better or worse than any other build, e.g. Trinity).
Wukong is supposed to be a top dominion pick and I plan to buy him next so I'm interested in the answers to many of your questions as well.

PXShaman

08-21-2012

What are the core items that I should use for Wukong?
TF into IE, fun times
CDR boots, and brutalizer
-What specific strategies are good for Wukong?
Use those bushes, your W is the best skill ever in dominion

-What are the strengths of Wukong?
He becomes a shaco on this map with some of the craziest burst, and juking is easy.

-What are the weaknesses of Wukong?
If they can see you, you are ****.

-Who is Wukong strong against?
Everyone but these people.

-Who is Wukong weak against?
Riven, and any real melee people that have an aoe stun were they really don't have to aim.

-Who are the top Dominion players that main Wukong?
Me

-How are you guys doing?
I am pretty awesome bot, RiotNome "Might" have beat me, but I play for fun, and Wukong is by far, the funnest champion Riot has ever made. If you really wana be good you just gotta play enough, and know when to use your W. I have blocked ults, kill shots, summoner spells, everything cause I knew when, and how they were going to use it.

-How was your summer?
Good, I hit a big losing streak earlier, but pulled out of it with some crazy games.

-Are you looking forward to a lot of snow this year?
Yeah I hope, I bought a house and wana shovel the side walk.

-Anyone interested in trying to set up a "Riot vs. Pro" Dominion battle?
Hell yeah I want to rematch RiotNome, he is really good, but he got lucky. If I had General Wukong skin I would of "beat" him

-Anyone have any cool computer spec builds they want to brag about?
I got a lappy.

-Is it awkward that I am asking these type of questions?
No, I answer everything, I play wukong cause when you click him he says I am the greatest, which I am.

-Just trying to be nice...
Awesome. come play with me, I want people to see how fun he is.

Edit:
But really, he has so many weaknesses. it isn't so much CC, it is just that he is a hardcore in your face fighter. Meaning if you get anything to stop a fighter it would work. Wardens Mail, Thornmail, Frozen Heart, and then the items that can see you are a terrible weakness, it means you have no escape. But most fun champ ever.

DiscworldDeath

08-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post
Phage/Hexdrinker/Brutalizer/Last Whisper build with Ionian/Merc/Ninja boots and Prospector's Blade.
This build has many things going for it. You get quite useful passives, and the AD adds up for relatively cheap. You can get this build on anyone who likes going into melee and has good AD scaling - Pantheon, Xin, Jax, Lee Sin, Darius, etc.

But in the end you still upgrade these items, so it can still become a Triforce build. Just a late Triforce.

jremmons

08-21-2012

you could definitely go TF with that build and many of the other top players such as Sifucalvin seem to. Panzerzs tends to go with Frozen Mallet and early upgrades and LW as opposed to Trinity. Again, I'm not sure which build is preferable but since I've been scouting people's matches attempting to determine a good Wu build.

McNuggetts

08-21-2012

How I Play this furball

Start with Prospector and lvl 1 boots and a health pot. Mana is likely to not be a problem for you.

Get Ionian boots (only boots i ever buy with him). Get the Trinity next, I get the Zeal first then the Phage then the Sheen.

Then i get the Ghostblade, get the Bruitilizer portion first.

Atma's is good.

MUST get a Executioner's against a large number of champs. I call refer to it as the "Mundo Killer" but it's great against a wide variety of champs.

For runes I don't want a dedicated rune page for just ONE champ so i go with an all-round good rune lineup. Armor Pierce Red and Quints, Health per lvl yellow and Magic Resist per level blues. I try to always get the "per level" runes because i think you're just gunna get more out of it. I'm sure there are better runes out there like slapping in some more Cooldown Reduction but like i said, i want 1 runepage that i can use for Wu/Olaf/Lee/Trundies/Ect. ect. so i find this is a good (or good enough) rune layout for Wu.

21-9-0

For Summoner spells i always go with Ghost and Flash.

When rushing over to defend a tower it's always fun to Decoy right before you get out of the shadows to give yourself a nice gap closing distance before you start to attack. If they see you coming they are gunna take off and you're stuck using your E to get back ontop of them. Decoy out of the shadows, get ontop of them and attack. They stun you, use your E and you're right back ontop of them. This is also why i like Ghost and Flash so much on wukong. Decoy and then hit Ghost, they'll think you're a mile away and turns out you're right ontop of them.

I hear you wanna make sure to auto attack AND THEN Q. I don't know the math behind it but it seems to do a lot of damage. So try that.

Most people by default think that when you're standing still it's your decoy. Get good at fooling people into thinking that you are you're decoy if you can. I suck at it but I think that this is what separates the men from the boys when it comes to Wukong.

There are some champs that you just HAVE to turn and run from or you WILL die. You simply won't kill Jax or Fiora. They will kill you every time. Even at dangerously low HP these two can still rape a Wukong. Don't even bother fighting these two. There's no items in the game that are going to even the odds against them so don't think that because you have X Y or Z that you're gunna get'em.

There are others that will give you hard time but a Executioner's Calling or a Quicksilver Sash will help a lot.

DiscworldDeath

08-21-2012

I had a discussion with someone yesterday on eu-w which reminded me. I used to always go Frozen Mallet on Wukong, I even usually went Frozen Mallet on Irelia.

I was playing around 1,600 Elo at the time, and everyone on my team went full squishy. So I'd go for the tankier build, with slightly less damage, because we were already drowning in damage.
The reason I stopped was because I'd catch people, and I'd slowly chip away at their health, and chip, and chip, and they were even slowed.
Yet somehow always the enemy team came there to turn it into a 2v1 or 3v1 before my team did... so I moved to Triforce, did massive damage fast, and if I had to run they still had to go b at the very least.

But now that teams are more organized, and there's a better chance of someone coming to help and capitalize off of the permaslow, I might give Frozen Mallet a try again on some champs.

blackDAILO

08-22-2012

One of the most notable Wukong players is Panzerzs.

I personally also main Wukong in dominion.

Build:
I would always start with Blade and rush Brutalizer. The arpen offered along with my runes and mastery will give me a solid damage output through the first part of the game. Phage and CDR boots will definitely come next.

From then on, go for either Mallet or Triforce depending on the team comp. I get Mallet most of the time. The HP offered combined with your passive makes you innately extremely tanky in fights. However, if you aren't the sole tanyDeePS on your team, go for the triforce.

Then depending on enemy, I would go for an Atmas or Maw. Youmuus then LW.
Executioner's Calling is also excellent.