New item - Trishield

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mysterise

08-21-2012

Triforce - The most popular item in the game. Why? It gives a little of almost everything. The three components:

Phage - Tankiness, AD, Chance to slow
Sheen - Mana, AP, Proc
Zeal - Attack speed, Critical strike, Movement speed

And lets get back to why it's the most popular item. It gives a little of almost everything, which means it's viable on most champions. Corki? Yep. Ezreal? Yep. Jax? Yep. Darius? Yep. See, my point here is that Triforce is viable on 3 out of the 4 dominant roles: Tank/DPS/TankyDPS, Jungler (which is almost always a Tank/DPS/TankyDPS) and AD carry (the other being AP carry, who has their own version of the Triforce known as Lich Bane).

What about the supports? Sure, they're not that dominant in the current metagame, but for the other three roles to become a dominant, unstoppable force they need to make them one. Supports generally help the AD carry at bottom lane to farm and obtain kills, but doing so, as a support is difficult, when you don't have many build options, or, a little bit of every stat that supports need.

So, why not introduce a brother for the Triforce? Heck, name it Trishield. Similar to the Triforce, the Trishield will have a little bit of almost everything a support needs. And on the way, let's use items that are underrated and underappreciated, and also are in need of more build options, instead of only being able to either upgrade to a certain item or sell it.

Trishield will compose of:

Mana Manipulator Cost: 180 + 180 + 115 = 475
UNIQUE Aura: Nearby allied champions gain 7.2 Mana Regen per 5 seconds.

This item is, in my opinion, one of the best early game items for supports. It gives an AURA mana regeneration so that they, and their AD carry, can more sparingly use their spells without the pressure of running out mana that fast. The only reason less supports are buying this item is that the only upgrade is the underpowered soul shroud, which everyone knows is not that much of a good item, but we'll stick to the topic of mana manipulator for now. If it had viable build options, people will certainly buy it for both early and end game.

Glacial Shroud Cost: 700 + 400 + 425 = 1525
+425 Mana +45 Armor UNIQUE Passive: +15% Cooldown Reduction

Another item that's pretty decent is the Glacial Shroud. Although it's not often built for supports, it's potential as a support item is often overlooked. The same contributing factor for the reason that supports don't buy Glacial Shroud is the lack of viable, support build option(s). Sure, Frozen Heart is a decent item, but supports don't make much use of the massive bonus armour endgame. However, the 45 bonus armour early/mid game is devastating to bot lane, where all the damage comes from the AD carry, whose damage is countered by armour. The bonus mana and cooldown reduction is also a must have for supports.

Emblem of Valor Cost: 300 + 250 + 350 = 900
+25 Armor UNIQUE Aura: Nearby allied Champions gain 10 Health Regen per 5 seconds.

The least bought item LoL is the Emblem of Valor. Even though I don't have the completely accurate statistics sheet, I know for a fact that no one ever buys this item, unless they're a complete beginner. This item, again, only builds to one end-game, and even that item is considered such a bad item in the community. It's stats, however, is overlooked by everyone. The armour, again, is such a good choice in a lane where the only damage source comes from AD carries, which get negated by armour. And the aura health regen? It's MASSIVE early game. It's like having a regrowth pendant that is shared between you and your carry. It gives alot. Even if you don't win trades, you just regen it back up. And again, probably the only reason no one buys this is the lack of, and horrible upgrade(s).

Now, those 3 items individually all look like less-than mediocre items for a support. But when combined together, they become lethal. They become viable. They become available for use in competitive play. And best of all? They have the same features as the Triforce. 3 items, combined from 2 basic items, that only builds into one other thing, seperately, besides the Triforce.

The stats for the Trishield would be:

Total Cost: 475 + 1525 + 900 + 300 = 3200
+500 mana
+75 armour
UNIQUE Aura: Nearby allied champions gain 15 Health Regen per 5 seconds.
UNIQUE Aura: Nearby allied champions gain 15 Mana Regen per 5 seconds.
UNIQUE Aura: Nearby allied champions gain 15% Cooldown Reduction

Looking at these stats, your first reactions would be: WTF? OP!1!!!11ONE!1!!!
and then: Practically a Frozen Heart, but much better
and then: Overshadows the Soul Shroud
and then: Too much auras
and then: Too much utility overall

Now, let me address those thoughts:
"Practically a Frozen Heart, but much better"
Nope. A Frozen Heart has a really awesome, aura that makes it so viable. On top of that, it has +99 armour whilst a Trishield would only have +75. It also has +20% Cooldown Reduction, which is, overall, practically the same benefit as a +15% Cooldown Reduction aura.

"Overshadows the Soul Shroud"
Well, I admit it does. The only thing the Trishield doesn't give in comparison to the Soul Shroud is health, and instead with all the other benefits it completely overshadows the Soul Shroud. However, in my Trishield's defense the Soul Shroud was never a viable item to begin with. Riot can address that issue sometime else.

"Too much auras"
Well, it's like a more utility and defense based Zeke's Harold. Auras promote supports standing alongside their teammates, and rewards them and their teammates for the supports effort for doing so, and it discourages getting caught by going away from their team.

"Too much utility overall"
And then I say, the Triforce. Nerf that aswell if you say this has too much utility. It's basically giving a decent amount of what a support needs. And also, it's cost compensates for the amount of stats in a single slot item for supports, as supports barely, (and good supports don't ever) take farm.

So there you have it. The perfect solution to the lack of item builds for supports. And also, what a perfect time to release it? When season 3 comes out maybe?

If you're not going to release supports, atleast release an item for supports.

TL;DR: Xpecial item for Xpecial supports.

Mysterise

08-21-2012

Mods, please delete this. I'm moving this to general discussion.

TeknoWizard

08-21-2012

Umm... I don't think Triforce is the most popular item...

AlphariusRising

08-21-2012

Actually boots are the most popular item, followed by potions and wards.

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-21-2012

**** it. Screw it, I'm never buying anything but 6 Trinity Forces now. He's right. They are OP.

Sam Is Whoa

08-21-2012

Frozen heart passive still better and more worth it. Soul shroud actually gives 3rd most health in the game for pretty cheap and isnt bought because the mana regen isnt neccessary late game so that passive on the "trinity shhield" is also useless. Frozen heart and soul shroud would be bought more than this in most cases regrardless. And the locket is not terrible, it gives a pretty good shield as an acitve and good HP regen with 300 HP.

Skidochufada

08-21-2012

Many many problems with this post.

First off, Mana manipulator is a bad starting item, just because if you start with it, you have no wards. If you buy F- Charm and wards to start off, it's much wiser to build that into a Philo stone for the extra gold and health regen.

Second, Locket of the Iron Solari is a good item. Health, armor, and a AoE shield active, all within an affordable price range.

Third: Your item cost too much. Supports are on a very limited income. That's why we go for items such at LotIS, because they give valuable stats for not much gold. That's always why we build GP10 items.

Fourth: Useless stats, specifically the Mana. Mana is nice, but as a support, gold is limited, and mana is not where I'd choose to spend that gold.

Fifth: The final reason I hate your "Trishield" item; we already have one. It's called Aegis of the Legion. It builds from three defensive items, and gives a nice defensive aura (and some odd AD). Bonus points for you is that it's already a shield. The best part is it's only 2k gold.

Now if you want a new support item, I vote for another item to build from Philo Stone. Or, even more bizarrely a support item building from Avarice blade (+Crit chance aura?)