Maximum Range on Targeted Abilities?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Urthclaw

08-20-2012

This happened to me several games back, and it got me thinking about this. Currently, any Targeted Ability or Basic Attack will travel to the target regardless of the increase in distance since the cast of the spell was made. Sometimes this seems like it shouldn't happen, like in my case. Now I'm not QQing or anything as it only led to one death in one game.

I was playing Ziggs (inb4 pick a real champ noob) in a Normal 5v5 on SR and my team was winning, and we were pushed all the way to their mid inhib turret. We were grouped up, and we were caught off guard by a good initiate from the enemy team. Team fight ensues, and we manage to kill 3 of them while they kill 4 of us, leaving me at ~500 hp. I flee, being chased by the enemy Sona and Darius. I take more damage and then am Ignited. Knowing that i will die to Ignite regardless of how much I increase the gap, I quickly throw down my Satchel right below me and then use Zhonya's. The invuln negates the last ticks of Ignite, leaving me at 50 hp. I jump with my Satchel and quickly flash, giving me about a ~1300 gap. Then, out of the blue, Sona's Q flies across the screen and kills me.

Now, I'm just wondering how putting a cap on the distance these kind of spells would affect the game. I'm not saying they should be capped at their cast range because that would make it near impossible to hit any ranged spells at all, just to some distance beyond that, maybe around 500, depending on the spell. This could also apply to auto attacks, so that people couldn't be hit by auto attacks from across the map after using Teleport or a similar spell (I have seen this happen on multiple Youtube videos).

TL;DR Should targeted abilities or auto attacks have a maximum travel range, some distance beyond their cast range, to prevent them from traveling across the map?

Again, not QQ or "roit pls", just want to know what people think of this idea and how it could be implemented.

AlphariusRising

08-20-2012

Making it so targeted abilities didn't follow you after you left their max range in relation to the champion casting them would make any champion with targeted abilities completely unviable. Even if you extended it a significant distance, it would be a nerf to those champions.

Basically, the point is they hit you with the skill or autoattack, the delay is a luxury that you can use to shield, heal, or say an extremely quick prayer that you don't die, but if you let a targeted abilities champion get close enough to you to use their abilities, you should expect to be hit with them no matter the circumstances.

Urthclaw

08-20-2012

I see what you mean. But would that still be true even if the cap was a lot farther than the cast range, so that they wouldn't lock on on in situations such as mine?

AlphariusRising

08-20-2012

Yes. The point is, even if you teleported across the map, they hit you with the ability, they deserve to get the damage/effects that come with hitting someone with their ability.

DirtyJs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-20-2012

you would've survived if you had warmog + FON
next time include warmog FON into your ziggs build, never die to sona aa again