I'm RiotGypsy. AMAA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vermana

02-16-2013

Hey Gyp, was wondering if you'd like to look over a Champ idea of mine. I really can't wait to see what you do in the future, since Vi is a very well designed piece of work. I don't play her personally, but she certainly looks amazing.

It/She/He would be based on the minion lore, and have a lot of synergy with them in order to be a powerful lane pusher or even a support, buffing friendly minions or turrets with a scaling passive so it's not too OP'd at level 1.
Not a single Champion out there quite like a "Commander", and it might finally give us a Champ to use Banner of Command on.

Quote:
Minions are constructs of the League, used specifically for battle arenas. They aren't sentient. In the earliest days of the League – during their extensive testing phase – there was a rumor that they were using sentient beings as minions. They even supposedly used necromancy to summon skeletal minions to fight as the minions of today do. Such rumors are generally thought to be unsubstantiated.
So, there is always some truth behind rumors, no? I'm thinking secret experimental machine, originally designed to command the legions of Summoner's Rift, but scrapped due to the experiment becoming intelligent and trying to kill its masters. An untouched Trope for League of Legends, and quite a good one at that. It should be explored!

I think a model based on a "Sentient Prototype", a mechanical Champ vaguely based on minion design. Of course, this character would have to be larger and very distinct (Though changing his/her model color based on what side it was on would be amazing ^^) from the armies of minions around it. Of course, this Champion wouldn't be very fond of the League after being thrown at towers again and again in its early days. A rather "Dark" feel on top of it could lead to a very "Kill-Bot" style character. While we do have Ori to fill that role, she's not quite the "Rogue Artificial Intelligence" trope that this could fill.

Passive grants scaling HP regen and damage against Champions to nearby friendly minions. Also grants the Prototype bonus Basic attack damage based on the number of friendlies around. Capped at 7, AKA one wave.
Q, W, and E might contain some form of poke and a quick wave clear, maybe a weak AoE heal or skillshot slow on top of that.
And the Ult would supercharge a friendly turret or nexus, allowing it to fire a large, sweeping ground-targeted laser, similar to Viktor's Death Ray. Purely defensive, but great at clearing waves and dealing damage. Maybe a short Cooldown?

~~

And in addition, do you have an opinion/statement on S3 Shyvana? Does she need help in the Jungle now? I certainly think so.

Amazinq

02-16-2013

is your name tryndamere?
alaskan, fights volibears, climb malphites
???

Think God

02-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
Hi,
I'm gypsylord, one of Riot's newest designers. I make champions.

So this is an "Ask Me ALMOST Anything" thread. I'm all about getting to know the community and I figured this would be a good way to do it. So yeah, let's chat.

If I skip your question it's either because A) I'm not the right person to answer it or B) I've already answered it in a previous post

-------------------------------------

Some things about me:

-I'm a champ designer. I work on champions. I don't work on things like servers, skins, or IP prices. As such I probably won't be able to give any real answers on such topics, it would just result in the propagation of false information.

-I designed Vi. Working on champ #2 right now.

-I love LoL and played Ranked + normals non-stop in college. Wrote my final term paper on the F2P pricing scheme and filmed a 10 minute documentary on the new player experience during Senior Winter.

-Was 1920 Elo Pre-Season 3. Wish I had more time to focus on improving my game. Too busy working on my next champ. She's gonna be awesome

-I main supports (Raka, Janna, Lulu, Sona, Taric, Zyra). Also play a TON of Tristana (bot) and Teemo (top). Noct, Shaco, and WW are my go-to junglers. If you force me to play mid (I suck at it) I'll try to grab Kass (provided the matchup wouldn't screw me).

-Used to be "almost" pro at TF2. Have 1400 hours in the game and mained scout/med for a team back when CAL was a thing.

-LOVE Fire Emblem. Awakening had great gameplay but a terrible story...

-I'm originally from Alaska. I like climbing rocks, running up mountains, and fighting bears.

-I went to college at Dartmouth and graduated with a BA in Economics last June. Also studied Theater, Film, Chemistry, and Biology (was a pre-med freshman year).

-Started @ Riot right after graduation. Am currently one of the youngest people in the company.

ty for creating vi...shes one of my favorite champs

Eve The Ripper

02-17-2013

Quote:
A badass yordle who does it right (not derpy like rumble or boring like Poppy).
To think. I -almost- liked you >:|

Quote:
Darius lanes in a long lane and can be ganked quite easily. If he gets behind he WILL lose a lane and will bring very little to his team in a fight (Asides from KS'ing). Unerfed Lulu had none of those weaknesses. Laned mid, was impossible to gank, and brought insane amounts of utility to her team regardless of whether or not she lost the lane.
Is this the consensus? Against a ranged champion (or someone else that has a chance against him normally), I agree, but a melee champion will still die to Darius even if they're moderately ahead. He can unload so much damage in such a short time that it doesn't matter if your items are superior unless you can drop him in ~3 seconds. A spell cycle, two auto-attacks, ignite, ult...and once he gets that kill, he's well on his way back.

Honestly, the whole 'super punish melee enemies' as a defining strength doesn't seem like something that will ever be fun to lane against.

Simply Chaotic

02-17-2013

Hi there...can you explain to me the current U.S. GDP and how it correlates to the free market Yordle enterprise large-scale aquisition of resources relating to the production of a near endless supply of Warmog's?

Also, what species of bunny rabbit is sitting near the shop on Summoner's Rift?

Prkl8r

02-24-2013

I want to preface this by saying that I love Vi, one of my favorite champions.

That said, I am wondering how you feel about her post release.

Is she being used in the manner that you envisioned people would use her?

Are you ok with her being an exclusively jungle based champion?

Right now the best way to play her seems to be to build pure tank (agis, locket, warmogs, ect.) and just initiate and try to disrupt whoever you get on. I know this is not something you intended, but are you ok with how it has turned out?

I'm guessing the nerfs coming to her base damage and early ranks of W are probably intended to make people buy damage items, however I don't think this will be the case, I think it will still be the case of just build tank and be the teams initiate, probably even more so after. In my opinion, as long as her R does what it does, and her Q does what it does, she will be better off building full tank. I'm perfectly fine with this, I would just like to hear your thoughts.

Also I feel like any viability she had in top is going to be gone with these nerfs, then again I don't play her top ever so it doesn't actually effect me.

Basically the gist of this is, how do you feel that Vi is holding up in live vs how you envisioned her.

Think God

03-06-2013

gypsy can u pls tell riot to take off cd when interupted on vi's vault breaker. tell them it was already counterable if someone would just walk in front of her while charging.. it easy to block it because of how slow she runs

Vayven

03-06-2013

Favorite thing about Dartmouth college?

Elphrihaim

03-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think God View Post
gypsy can u pls tell riot to take off cd when interupted on vi's vault breaker. tell them it was already counterable if someone would just walk in front of her while charging.. it easy to block it because of how slow she runs
Having played against it... sure, it wasn't impossible to dodge/block, but it wasn't easy at all.
Look at it this way--

You're playing a match, when the enemy runs up to you and preps their dash spell to attack your low-health ally. So naturally, you blast them with your CC.
Now, you performed counterplay. You paid mana, and lost the ability to use that ability for a while.
Before, after you did that counterplay, Vi didn't lose mana... AND didn't have to worry about the fact you just shut her down, she can still use Vault Breaker for damage on -you- or use it to get out if the engage is bad.

That leaves the player who performed counterplay feeling sour because they did everything they could and it didn't really do much.

ChocoKelly

03-06-2013

Have any new plans for Rengar? Idk im think he is pretty weak atm.