I'm RiotGypsy. AMAA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Valtielx

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
Brand has a problem in that he is a burst mage in a game where strong burst mages have the potential to be incredibly toxic. It really sucks to get one-shotted and to reduce this frustration we aren't able to make the burst mages' damage all that much higher than that of the the utility mages'. Brand is only going to combo for 10-20% more damage than an Anivia. Is he still better at bursting? Yes. The problem is that when you pick him you end up giving up a ton of utility for a very marginal benefit. So yeah, that's the problem I see. To "fix" brand we'd have to "fix" burst mages in general. Not sure how we'd do that asides from just turning them into more utility mages...Also, Brand may actually be a lot better with season three items...Liandry's + Rylai's + his passive is pretty insane.

Now about WW...He's not weak. He really isn't weak at all. Competitively viable? Maybe not. Viable for our average player all the way up to 1900 elo? Most certainly.

It doesn't matter that his jungle is slow, the recent changes that shifted health into the big camps were a massive buff to him and once he gets to 6 he gets a guaranteed kill every 90 seconds. His mid game transition is insane. He becomes this insanely fast drain tank with a 1.8 sec suppress and a massive AS boost for his entire team. Oh and the "no gank pressure pre-6 thing?" It's all about the counter ganking. A smart WW will know where the enemy jungle is going to show up, grab red, then counter gank the hell out of him. E + red buff assures kills.

Laning is solid too, sustain is still through the roof and, again, he guarantees kills every 90 seconds once he hits 6.

I really just don't see where people are getting the WW is weak thing. Sure, he has weaknesses pre-6 but he also has some very potent strengths once he gets there. Whenever I see the wolf on my team I'm like YES! Ward and play safe for 7 minutes and then let the free gold start flowing!

I'm sorry, but that's awful and shouldn't be okay. Essentially, you're saying a champion is considered "fine" in your opinion if they work against people who don't know how to play the game?

I probably sound bitter and argumentative but I don't know how else to word my reaction to that. I regularly played WW in the ~2k elo bracket last season and it felt awful. As I approach my elo again this season, yet again, he feels awful.

Macrofarad

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-27-2013

Any plans to a character similar to invoker in the game? IE instead of quas wex... Void, hextech, and arcane maybe? He was my favorite champ in Dota and I'd love to see LoL's rendition of him. Thematically, you could also use it to knock out that doppleganger niche, I'm seeing a lanky hextech support structure held together with void energy and an arcane mage controlling it, so the dopple profile with a few unique visual ques. Maybe even one of Viktor's Acolytes.

What on a pure trap or strategy based mage? Something for us who's primary skill is to out-think our opponents.

Spiritomb

01-27-2013

What do you look like? (picture!)

Hellioning

01-27-2013

Quote:
Because some supports feel fair to lane against and some supports do not.

When champions like Lulu and Soraka are super strong mid laners our game is bad. Why? Because it is the worst experience ever to fight them. Oh you want to last hit? Glitterlance at 1000 range! It's a nuke that slows you! Also, it tastes purple! There's nothing you can do against a Lulu lane. You can't fight her due to pix and whimsy, you can't poke her or CS due to glitterlance, you can't gank her thanks to glitterlance, and you can't burst her thanks to her ult. Mid Lulu just does too much while offering very little counterplay Against a good Lulu Glitterlance is not something you can dodge. Zyra root and Lux Snare are.

Am I saying we don't have midlaners in our game currently who are obnoxious? No. I'm just saying champs like AP Lulu and Soraka are on a whole different level.
This is going to sound SO whiny but...

Why do you nerf AP Lulu almost immediately when Darius takes forever to change? He's not fun to lane against either? Heck, you could say the same about any support that can AP mid. AP Sona? NOPE. She's a melee minion! Less durable then the champion who has an extra lifebar every couple of minutes and less range to boot! AP Janna? Nope, tornado takes forever to charge up and if it isn't charged it's worthless! AP Soraka? Actually still kind of decent but takes forever to kill something.

Do I still play all of these mid? Yes. Would I do so in any serious game? No. I understand that, as fun as it is for me to land a great glitterlance kill from a minion, it's not very fun for the other player. But it's still frustrating when the community pigeonholes a bunch of champions into the 'item caddy, ward slave, and adc babysitter' role; and this is coming from someone who LIKES to play support! Sometimes I want to do something different with my mute songstress/crazy yordle/unicorn/wind goddess, yaknow?

I apologize and I know this sounds ridiculous and you're not the person to complain to.

Aran888888

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
This is going to sound SO whiny but...

Why do you nerf AP Lulu almost immediately when Darius takes forever to change? He's not fun to lane against either? Heck, you could say the same about any support that can AP mid. AP Sona? NOPE. She's a melee minion! Less durable then the champion who has an extra lifebar every couple of minutes and less range to boot! AP Janna? Nope, tornado takes forever to charge up and if it isn't charged it's worthless! AP Soraka? Actually still kind of decent but takes forever to kill something.

Do I still play all of these mid? Yes. Would I do so in any serious game? No. I understand that, as fun as it is for me to land a great glitterlance kill from a minion, it's not very fun for the other player. But it's still frustrating when the community pigeonholes a bunch of champions into the 'item caddy, ward slave, and adc babysitter' role; and this is coming from someone who LIKES to play support! Sometimes I want to do something different with my mute songstress/crazy yordle/unicorn/wind goddess, yaknow?

I apologize and I know this sounds ridiculous and you're not the person to complain to.
Just gonna say this but jarvan kinda counters darius.

Birdy51

01-27-2013

Soley on their lore alone, are there any certain places or characters you look upon fondly?

Piltover Mayor

01-27-2013

Quote:
Hi,
I'm gypsylord, one of Riot's newest designers. I make champions.

So this is an "Ask Me ALMOST Anything" thread. I'm all about getting to know the community and I figured this would be a good way to do it. So yeah, let's chat.

If I skip your question it's either because A) I'm not the right person to answer it or B) I've already answered it in a previous post

-------------------------------------

Some things about me:

-I'm a champ designer. I work on champions. I don't work on things like servers, skins, or IP prices. As such I probably won't be able to give any real answers on such topics, it would just result in the propagation of false information.

-There are currently no champs in the game that I have designed. I'm working on my first one as we speak.

-I love LoL and played Ranked + normals non-stop in college. Wrote my final term paper on the F2P pricing scheme and filmed a 10 minute documentary on the new player experience during Senior Winter.

-Was 1800 - 1850 and rising when I graduated. Haven't had much time to focus on improving my game since then (too busy making my champ ).

-I main supports (Raka, Janna, Lulu, Sona, Taric, Zyra). Also play a TON of Tristana (bot) and Teemo (top). Noct, Shaco, and WW are my go-to junglers. If you force me to play mid (I suck at it) I'll try to grab Kass (provided the matchup wouldn't screw me).

-Used to be "almost" pro at TF2. Have 1400 hours in the game and mained scout/med for a team back when CAL was a thing.

-LOVE Fire Emblem

-I'm originally from Alaska. I like climbing rocks, running up mountains, and fighting bears.

-I went to college at Dartmouth and graduated with a BA in Economics 2 months ago. Also studied Theater, Film, Chemistry, and Biology (was a pre-med freshman year).

-Started @ Riot right after graduation (it's weird being one of the "young people" again). Been here 2 months.

As another former resident of the Upper Valley (White River Junction), I wonder if you are inspired by New England's rich natural landscape for any champions.

Also, feel free to add me if you ever want to reminisce about the UV.

Samflash3

01-27-2013

A while back i suggested to Xypherous about a mounted champion who starts from ground but summons an animal that he can choose to mount on (like an icon hovering over the animal). I just wanted to know if Riot had any plans to implement any character like this. Thresh is a champion who kinda revolves around a " click on this icon" kind of character. But it would be awesome if the mounted champion could summon /mount and also control its animal ( at the cost of less damage, etc).

Samflash3

01-27-2013

Any chance of there being a support Carry?. Like a carry that can heal/shield teammates( Hmmm. Maybe add that to ashe's E lol). Or a carry that does not rely on mana? Maybe energy, fury, health or just cooldowns?

DeeDrumma

01-27-2013

When is Battlecast Skarner coming out???