I'm RiotGypsy. AMAA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-23-2012

Gypsy, what are your thoughts on how these two characters+archetypes would fit into LoL?

Werewolf (IMO Warwick doesn't fill this archetype/fantasy well, he's more of the "MUST HAVE BLOOD" type)---melee carry pet hero who's slightly more durable than your typical melee carries, but a bit more durable (think Lycan from DotA2).
AD single target burst carry---extremely high burst single target DPS, but low overall DPS and is high incentivized not to build attack speed---falls off mid-late to late game (think Templar Assassin).

I know you're somewhat familiar with DotA, so I figured heck, might as well run these two ideas by ya.

gypsylord

Champion Designer

11-23-2012
51 of 65 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfrog View Post
Gypsy,

you missed me on page 51 =(
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2802202
Answered in your thread bro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fongletto View Post
GYPSYLORD FUNFACT

Gypsylord prefers his plant summoner icon to showing off his diamond badge. I know, he told me.
I tend to get attached to things I've had for a long time. Plant icon has been taking care of me since Malzahar patch D:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthless Sophie View Post
How do you feel about breasts? No really... When designing a champion how big of a factor is it?
I feel like they have their place on certain champs just like any other feature of the human body. Gotta make sense on that champ though. Honestly, I think the game industry as a whole gets lazy when it comes to women and breasts.

"Okay, guys our next character is going to be a girl. She needs to read female in game and be attractive. Any suggestions."
"Why not just give her huge breasts?"
*applause*

Wat? Like seriously...THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO MAKE ATTRACTIVE WOMEN THAT READ AS BEING WOMEN WITHOUT TAKING OFF THEIR CLOTHES AND GIVING THEM BACK PROBLEMS. Look, I'm not saying we shouldn't have hot girls. I'm also not saying we shouldn't have big breasts on certain champs. That stuff works great on characters like MF and Ahri. I LOVE the design of those two champs. I just think that if we really tried we could make a flat chested girl with reasonable clothing that also happens to be TOTALLY HOT and TOTALLY READ AS A GIRL in game. I dunno, maybe I'm just a weirdo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guede View Post
I've always wanted to poke in and say this, but been too hesitant for fear of backlash.

Are you Romani?... because a good chunk of us really detest the word "gypsy" when used by someone that isn't Romani... and its generally identified as an ethnic slur ( that blanket pejorative covers Sinti, Pavee, Romani, Romanichael, and Irish/scottish/welsh travellers) in the majority of europe and in some places in the U.S.

...just kinda saying... Don't wanna make waves...
I'm not Romani, but was a "wanderer" when I was younger. Family moved 16 times in 16 years. "Wanderer" is what I took "Gypsy" to mean and so I used it as my screen name. I don't intend to offend however and am seriously considering changing my name to RiotLord...Good Fire Emblem ref!

An earlier response I wrote:
I am certainly aware that my name is "culturally charged." Not so sure if it's "extremely racist and offensive." Here's my take on it:

Gypsy is the English word for the Romani people. Kind of like how we call people from Japan "Japanese" and not "nihon-jin." It also means "wanderer." We use gypsy in LoL. Go check out TF's lore. Organizations like Human Rights Watch use the term. The Wall Street journal used the term in a report they wrote up last week: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...007693674.html
Can using "gypsy" in certain contexts be offensive? Yes. The same thing can be said for terms such as "jew" and "gay." I'm still not convinced it is universally problematic (like the n word).

Why do I have the name? Gypsy was the name of my dog. She used to protect me from bears back in Alaska and died when I was 8. I loved Gypsy as much as an 8 year old could love anything and when it came time for me to create a handle I thought using her name in it would be a fitting way to remember her. On top of that, I moved 18 times in 16 years back in AK. Describing myself as a wanderer felt fitting.

The "lord" portion got tacked onto the end in 9th grade physical science when I needed a 6+ character nickname in order to see my grades. I had been reading Wheel of Time.

All that said, maybe I'm wrong. I certainly have no desire to offend anyone and am not adverse to the idea of changing my name if that's what needs to be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priestess Soraka View Post
Answer = posted on your thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by AetherNeo View Post
Gypsylord is a Fire Emblem fan?! Schweet, new favorite rioteer man!

As for the question, how excited are you for the new Fire Emblem with all of it's cool unique features, like the double system or the spotpass or the DLC or the marriage system (which is new here in the US)? Super excited here, practically have one character on my desktop and my cellphone background and my email background and everywheeeeere. It'd be nice to know a rioteer is also excited for the game!
Super excited. Will buy a 3DS when it come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempestphile View Post
Are you Japanese?

Attachment 561368
いいえ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDi View Post
Alright... can't talk about it... how about we just infect your brain with it?

My Little Hecarim, Friendship is Murder skin?

Baconian Justice themed champions?

Your opinions please?
My Little Hecarim would be sick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphtronics View Post
So how about you make less champions and fix the current ones? This game has over 100 champions and its unrealistic to have this many and make them all somewhat "good". You just release new champs, let them become outpicked by newer and "stronger/more useful" new champions, then rework/fix within the next two years

How can League stay an awesome game if you guys can't deal with it being this huge? The game will just keep on having more and more champions and then there will just be more and more un-used champs

Championship got so boring now; its pretty much always the same champions that are picked during the finals
Well the thing about making new champs is that they drive player engagement. Every time a new champ comes out it revitalizes the game for many players as new moves, strats, and counterplay gets added to the game.

Also think that "new champs push out old ones" is totally false. You look at those finals games and Karthus or Anivia were in practically every game. Those two are original 40 and will probably always be played to some degree due to the innate power of their kits. They bring a lot to the team. That's actually Volibear's Problem IMO. His kit doesn't bring anything that you couldn't get elsewhere. Want a bruiser on their carry? Take Noct. What a dude who can move fast and do AoE damage/slow? Take skarner. Want a decent combination of both? Take Shyvanna. Volibear kind of lacks a "signature BS move" that no one else gets and it causes him to fall out of the game unless he's OP. That's just my opinion though...

Lastly, we can't just throw more people at these problems. We're trying to hire tons of awesome people to make an awesome game but trust me, supply of amazing is much smaller than demand. Also, can't just "take dudes off other teams." Live has a specific set of req skills that not everyone in the company ha (They're all amazing at the game for one) and "just reassigning guys" is going to be pretty inefficient.

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
Also think that "new champs push out old ones" is totally false. You look at those finals games and Karthus or Anivia were in practically every game. Those two are original 40 and will probably always be played to some degree due to the innate power of their kits. They bring a lot to the team. That's actually Volibear's Problem IMO. His kit doesn't bring anything that you couldn't get elsewhere. Want a bruiser on their carry? Take Noct. What a dude who can move fast and do AoE damage/slow? Take skarner. Want a decent combination of both? Take Shyvanna. Volibear kind of lacks a "signature BS move" that no one else gets and it causes him to fall out of the game unless he's OP. That's just my opinion though...
Don't you think there's a lot of legitimate examples though of newer ones pushing out older ones? Diana largely pushes out Akali (superior CC, tankiness, not gated late game, better itemization, better CC, but effectively does the same thing), Annie is pushed out by most of modern mages (Orianna and Zyra both completely invalidate her existence, for example as they have very similar burst, but vastly vastly superior utility and CC) to name a couple examples.

I realize that not every new champ completely invalidates every old champ, but some of the old champs you've named are incredibly unique and haven't had anything remotely similar to them made---those with a lot of overlap, however, it seems the newer ones edge out the older ones.

NotBuzzJack

11-23-2012

What is the weirdest bug you have encountered while working as a champion designer?

Ogaflow

11-23-2012

Was curious if you could give any hints as to what inspiration you are using for your champion. Such as theme or attitude.

Arctic Bro

11-23-2012

Do you play Counter-Strike?

Mooflakes

11-23-2012

are you aware that gypsy is a racial slur

CragBlade

11-23-2012

Will we ever get the Mountain Giant Archetype as a champion? Massive tower sized man with a giant weapon. I always loved playing this archetype, mainly because I am 6'10.

I dont mean like a giant slab of mountain, like Malphite. I mean like something fully feasted Cho'Gath size with a giant club, rather rough looking proportions and limbs etc.,

Kinda like this:

Benetnasch

11-23-2012

Hello gypsy. I have a question to ask.
Why is it that the designers shy away from the more "exotic" concepts for champions?
Things like mana shield with 1 HP, scaling based on other stats like mana (ryze is one), or rather, missing mana. Also more exotic types of playstyles, like a risk VS reward thing with "the lower your health is, the more damage you deal" concepts. I would really like an answer on this.

Also, if you have time, you can check out my EXTREMELY exotic champion concept:http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2355309
I'm sure you'll like it.

CragBlade

11-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemorselessEcho View Post
"the lower your health is, the more damage you deal" concepts.
Olaf