I'm RiotGypsy. AMAA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

gypsylord

Champion Designer

10-12-2012
38 of 65 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenail Clipping View Post
That doesn't mean she shouldn't be able to fill multiple roles.

Riot shouldn't go out of their way to allow champions to do multiple roles, but at the same time, they shouldn't go out of their way to be sure they can't, which is unfortunately what they did with Lulu. She may have been overpowered on release, but they took it too far, and now they should feel obligated to make her a viable pick in other roles again just the same as if they overnerfed any champion.

Why does AP Ezreal get special treatment?
It's less about "Should Lulu should only be able to support?" and more about "Is a game state where Lulu is super viable in certain roles a fun one to play in?"

Utility + damage tends to be frustrating to play against. Especially if it comes out at long range and you also have awesome autoattacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesastre View Post
As a girl player, I really enjoy playing Female Champions. Some of my mains are Riven, Irelia, Janna, Sivir, and Ashe. (i'm not much of a jungler ;P) When the past few (Diana, Zyra, and Fiora) came out, i was disappointed in Rioters..I know Zyra was supposed to be kind of a "monsterish" champion, but i felt like it wasnt enough...What's YOUR opinion on a Monster Female Champion?

Something like Brand, Kha'zix, Cho'gath, Nocturne... NOT a female form?
I think female monsters are something our game is SORELY lacking. "Monsterish humanoids w/Boobs" do not count.

Would it be hard to make one? I don't think so, just gotta find something that fits. A character doesn't need breasts and heels to read "female" (look at Anivia) We're working on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyl View Post
The most recurring concern about this proposal was that it would diverge a bit from her initial lore rather than a concern about initial design. Which is why I decided to retouch her lore a bit to highlight a " new " side of her personality which could be right even without changing the current lore, simply harder to perceive ; she could be a member of the Kinkou order and we wouldn't know yet, or is destined to be. There's many possibilities that can be imagined based on her current lore and some briefs parts in it inspired me this very one rework.

I understand where you come from by saying people who buy Champions do because they're attracted by their kit (most of the time). However, I feel like her current kit has pretty heavy design flaws that notably don't allow her to be a full time support without AP.

The main design flaw after that would be that her strongest spell is the one that feels the less strong, less useful, less everything : Spirit Bond. You have very few advantages to use a Mantra on it compared to using it on the others. Funny enough, this very one flaw partially fixes the next one :

She needs a mantra on her Soul Shield 24/7 if she plays AP or she's useless.

Balance wise, her numbers are way off. Her 3 levels 6 spells aren't as strong as 3 level 5's and one ult. That's a bearable problem for now.

Now to come to your main argument being "Mantras being able to evolve her abilities make Karma Karma " , I feel this is pretty wacky because Mantras are given the attribute to be able to operate a spiritual transformation. Is doing what she does representing that ? Not really. This is another reason that made me want to do that Good/evil skillset, for then using Mantra WILL change her mindset, basically. Thus it will be thematically right.

If you want a Champion that "evolve" things, I feel you did a good job with Kha'Zix on that very point, but I personally don't feel like Karma had achieve that purpose.

As for your second concern (reworks must keep the character safe), I feel like I didn't destroy Karma to create something utterly new. Her spells have more or less the same purposes, her theme is refined, and she should be easier to grasp because she would now have clear build pathways. What I did is pushing her learning curve higher if you want to use both stances, but made possible to stay on one stance only if you really want to stick to your role.

Now to present the main change in this rework, I'll ask you this. Is it thematically and design-wise right that Mantras "evolve" her abilities and not Karma herself ?

I'd really like to pursue this discussion with you, so give me feedback !
I guess what I was getting at is I don't think the core idea behind the mantra system is her problem. It's instead the thing that makes her unique and interesting. It's not about "evolving" it's about "empowering."

I'm not on live so this is just speculation, but one way to solve may just be to make mantra's feel more "ultimate" in nature. Maybe make her base abilities more satisfying on their own and then give her big moments where she gets to use a SUPER SPELL.

Don't get me wrong, your good and evil ideas are cool, I'm just cautious about departing too far from the source material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fell14043 View Post
Hey Gypsy, I've always really been into helping people. I am very knowledgeable about many things, and am constantly learning new things, and learning more about old things. When people have questions, I like to answer.

Does this translate to any career opportunities at Riot?
That translates to being good at working in a fast paced team setting. Something we value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROtoro View Post
Y u miscapitalize my name
uMad bRo?

GaoShiki

10-12-2012

Odds we can get more machine champions? Is anything like that, or more machine-ized champions, in the works? Mecha Kha'Zix, Battlecast Cho'Gath, Space Marine Jayce (Or whatever it's called) Are all things that I felt compelled to purchase cause I love goddamn robots, anymore in the pipes?

Edit: Also, why is GD so filled with Sexism/racism/homophobia? It's discouraging, bro.

DaMiTzNhan

10-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
I'm gypsylord

-I main supports (Zyra).

-Used to be "almost" pro at TF2. Have 1400 hours in the game and mained scout/med for a team back when CAL was a thing.

-Theater, Film
Gypsy scum.
Zyra ain't a support.
Hat fortress 2 is ****.
Best subjects ever (not).

A bouncy Furret

10-12-2012

Can you please take a look at this thread gypsy?

It has been around for a long time and I'm pretty disappointed it hasn't gotten Riot attention.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2182697

Volibear has been left in the dust ever since his initial nerfs to his only powerful ability and hardly anyone wants to talk about Volibear.

ScottyRawr

10-12-2012

Ahhhh, I don't know if these questions have been asked, but I can't read through all of the 38 posts you made xD (I tried but only made it through 5 ). So you like to play Supports the most it seems(?), will you be focusing on creating more Support champions? Is the Champion you're working on now a Support Champion? Also, welcome to the team! (Yes, I'm a little late ^.^) I don't think I have anymore at the moment, if I do I'll come back ;D.

LenfaL

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2012

Did you play games every day before getting hired by Riot?

QuSu Swipe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-12-2012

You studied Theatre in college. Being a theatre major, I have to ask: What's your favorite play and/or musical and why?

DaMiTzNhan

10-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
You studied Theatre in college. Being a theatre major, I have to ask: What's your favorite play and/or musical and why?
Cats.

Death by Lulu

10-12-2012

I am thinking about potentially getting a job at riot, I would love to be on the live team or character design, what would be some things i could go about doing to improve my chances of being hired. Also how many hours a day would you say you don't work on your champ and when you do how work on her, how much time do you spend just thinking.

Tharama

10-12-2012

If you could give any champion a Teemo ability, what would it be and why?