I'm RiotGypsy. AMAA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

urmamasllama

09-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLilHecarim View Post
Would you ever consider creating a support with a "Shifting moveset"? Say her first 3 abilities help your teammates, she ults, and now her first 3 abilities harm the enemy?

If you liked this idea, how would you balance her out to not become an overpowered ap mid?
so hel from smite

Coach

09-11-2012

I TOO LOVE FIRE EMBLEM

i always replay radiant dawn on the wii haha and come up with new challenges for myself it's such a great game =D

Racic

09-11-2012

[QUOTE=gypsylord]
How would this shield get stronger? One of the key parts of Nasus and Veig is that you can shutdown their scaling by zoning them in lane.
/QUOTE]

It could be something similar in that for every ability the shield blocks/absorbs, it could gain X points of MR/armor/dmg reduction/etc.

Phrosn

09-11-2012

Why are all the fast and flexible champions land bound? Riot has created champions that fly/float, but most of them are slow or not based on mobility. So, when is Riot going to create a champion that captures the agility and speed of flying? I think a champion based around flight would make some awesome game play.

gypsylord

Champion Designer

09-11-2012
34 of 65 Riot Posts

37 and 38:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Xorism View Post
When you design the champions, how much say do you get in their final design?
How much say do you get in their design too? Ie do you come up with the idea + skills or do you give the artists ideas etc?
I get a lot of say in their final design. At the end of the day everything about a champ needs to intersect. I have to stay true to the art but in return I also need my team members to help support the kit. It's a team effort with input coming from all sides.

Say I'm working on a champ who uses a giant sword (based off an awesome concept I got from one of the art team). It wouldn't make sense for an artist to suddenly decide that this character should be carrying around a shotgun. If I saw that happen I'd comment on it and give pushback. In the same vein, if I decide to put an orbital laser on said sword champ and the concept artist feels like this is out of line I'd expect him to come talk some sense into me. The abilities I make have to make sense on the character and the things on the character have to make sense with the abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolosaurus View Post
Any plans of once cancelled champions returning?
Hydrosoul plz
The blind monk needs you! We sometimes find good ways to fit canceled champs into the game. We're not going to force it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyedMonster View Post
How much work is involved in creating a champion?

You sit in the office and run kits/concepts/etc by your superiors or...?
A TON of work. Oh man, I never could have guessed how brain wrenching it is to think about cohesive and fun kit design. Let's just say that my character has gone through NUMEROUS iterations. I've made probably 10 or so abilities that I've ended up having to throw out (don't worry I replaced them with better ones ).

In terms of day to day my process is mainly: playtest- think- implement- discuss- playtest- think-implement. Been doing that since I got here. She's coming along though

Quote:
Originally Posted by iZallen View Post
Is the Riot artwork team considering of creating seperate portraits for the champions?
What do you mean by this exactly? Like in-game portraits that aren't like the splash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
Realize, gypsylord, that my standards for your champion(s) are now very very high.
You should only expect the best. My job is to make my champ live up to those expectations. Hopefully I can deliver :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by damican View Post
Did you play the japanese fire emblems (mainly FE4 snes translated?)
I want to but I need translated versions (not good enough at Japanese )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zielmann View Post
How do you determine whether or not a spell will be channeled or simply have an animation (for regular spells, not things like Karthus/Fiddle/Nunu ults)? And do you feel that certain spells in the game don't act the way that the look/feel like they should in this regard?
Well in terms of your comments on Garen and Darius' ults it's all about "should this ability be reliable." Sure it doesn't make sense that if you flash Garen still hits you, but it feels even worse for the Garen when he casts his ult, does the animation, and has someone flash out of it. It's an execute and once he pushes the button he expects to get a result. It cancelling due to a timing dispute ends up making him feel cheated.

Many spells have a "breaking point" it their cast time where they can no longer be cancelled, even if the target flashes away. The goal of the player is to get past that break point, if he manages to do that he expects to be rewarded by his spell hitting.

In terms of Kennen's thing, that may be a bug. Not sure you should be able to cancel his ult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittor View Post
Just out of curiosity, what would you think of the following support champ and do you think something like it would ever see the light of day in LoL:

I see a lot of talk about having the newer champions created with clear strengths and clear weaknesses to go along with them. With that in mind what about a support actually meant for support players:

One that does no damage at all. No damage on any of their skills, and their passive could "turn-off" their auto attack. In return they get a truly outstanding support kit.
This is dangerous. I'm guessing that if a support literally had no damage people would play it EVEN LESS. Think about it, if you don't do damage you have ZERO ability to create threat when there are no teammates around. That feels really bad. Soraka may do close to zero damage, but at the end of the day she still gets to feel awesome if she's the one securing the killing blow with that clutch banana after her team has died.

Quote:
Would you ever consider creating a support with a "Shifting moveset"? Say her first 3 abilities help your teammates, she ults, and now her first 3 abilities harm the enemy?

If you liked this idea, how would you balance her out to not become an overpowered ap mid?
Lulu kind of does that. If we're talking about a pure shift the big danger is how you'll get people to use both sets of moves while making both balanced. So you've got a kill kit and an ally kit. Can't make either kit real good because that will make it OP in combination with the other kit. Say we force you to spec into one...then you feel bad with the support if you spec'd damage and bad with the damage if you spec'd support. Then you would only use one kit.

Not saying it can't be done, but would be very hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urmamasllama View Post
will your champ be able to justify having gangnam style as its dance?
Hmmmmm. I like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkilledUUMAD View Post
How many wives and children do you have?
Am I immature for still viewing myself as a kid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCourage View Post
Teemo must die?
NO U

Warrikon

09-11-2012

Best teemo moment? that you have seen?

Wyl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2012

Quote:

Quote:
Lulu kind of does that. If we're talking about a pure shift the big danger is how you'll get people to use both sets of moves while making both balanced. So you've got a kill kit and an ally kit. Can't make either kit real good because that will make it OP in combination with the other kit. Say we force you to spec into one...then you feel bad with the support if you spec'd damage and bad with the damage if you spec'd support. Then you would only use one kit.

Not saying it can't be done, but would be very hard.

Check my Karma rework proposal :

Quote:
  • Karma has a reworked system that I named Good & Evil (very original right?) to truly highlight what she's supposed to be representing. Basically, Karma has 3 set ''Good'' spells and 3 set ''Evil'' spells. Mantra is used to travel between sets of spells (the system is similar to how Nidalee's Cougar Form works). Spells are set on ''the Good side'' at the beginning of the game. Being on the ''Good side'' adds a holy white aura beneath her feet. On the same order of idea, being on the ''Bad side'' adds a deep black aura beneath her feet. (animations changed?)
  • Inner Flame renamed Will.
  • Heavenly Wave (Good) renamed Compassion.
  • Heavenly Wave (Evil) renamed Egoism.
  • Spirit Bond (Good) renamed Friendship.
  • Spirit Bond (Evil) renamed Jealousy.
  • Soul Shield (Good) renamed Harmony.
  • Soul Shield (Evil) renamed Desolation.
  • Compassion : Karma heals her allies (not herself) for 35/55/75/95/115/135 Health + 5% (+ 2 % per 100 AP) of targets missing Health. Cooldown of 15/14,5/14/13,5/13/12,5 seconds. Mana cost of 65/75/85/95/105/115. 60 width. 600 range.
  • Egoism : Karma deals 70/110/150/190/230/270 (+ 0,6 AP) magical damage. She also heals herself for 10% from damage dealt to champions, and 2% from minions and neutrals, and make opponents turn back briefly. Cooldown of 10 seconds at all levels. Mana cost of 60/70/80/90/100/110. 60 width. 650 Range.
  • Friendship : A tethered ally will be procured 1,5/3/4,5/6/7,5/9 % (+1 % per 100 AP) damage and 9/12/15/18/21/24 Movement Speed. Karma loses 4/6/8/10/12/14 % of her maximum Health in the process, if an other ally gets in contact with the bond, he'll gain 1/3 of the % damage bonus and 2/3 of the Speed bonus. Cooldown of 17/16/15/14/13/12 seconds. Duration of 5 seconds. 850 Range.
  • Jealousy : The tethered enemy now lose 10/12/14/16/18/20 % of damage potency and is slowed for 10/15/20/25/30/35 %, Karma gains these bonuses. Other enemies hit by the bond are dealt 100/140/180/220/260/300 (+0,7 AP) and slowed for the same amount. Cooldown of 15/14/13/12/11/10 seconds. Duration of 5 seconds. Mana cost of 70/85/100/115/130/145. 600 Range.
  • Harmony : Karma gives a shield of 100/150/200/250/300/350 (+0,25 AP) to an ally. If other allies are close enough, they are also shielded. The shield amount is reduced by 10% per additional target. She cannot cast on herself directly. Cooldown of 12 seconds at all level. Duration of 2,5 seconds. Mana cost of 80/95/110/125/140/155. Range of 600, radius of 550.
  • Desolation : Karma deals 80/120/160/200/240/280 (+0,6 AP) Area of Effect damage on and around an enemy target. Cooldown of 10 seconds at all level. Mana cost of 75/85/95/105/115/125. She can cast on herself, shielding for 75/100/125/150/175/200 (0,8 AP) for 3 seconds, and applying the AoE damage around her. Range of 600. Radius of 600.
  • Changing from Good or Evil takes 0,5 second.
  • Mantra charges recharge time set to 20 seconds at all levels, from 30/25/20.

[CENTER]Explanations :

1) This new system would greatly represent what the Champion is supposed to represent : Karma. Now some people could agree that her current system already does it, through the concept of Duality : There is offensive principles in defensive acts, and defensive principles in offensive acts. Which is what the current system revolves around. I respond this however : Offensive principles are generally bad, defensive principles are generally good. There are some cases of offensive principles being good though. The weakness here is that there are generally no bad points in defensive principles. Thus my idea to implement a system that revolves around the concept of Good deeds / bad deeds (=Karma). I agree a whole new champion could be created out of this concept, but as it already fits Karma, thematically-wise, why bother.

2-7) The new names reflect mind concepts that are tied to either the Good or Bad side. While the new name for the passive reflects that it takes Will to achieve both Good and Bad deeds.

8) New concept for the Good side's Q spell. Much useful for Support Karmas as they don't need to waste a Mantra Charge in order to heal comrades.

9) New concept for the Evil side's Q spell. Offensive spell made for AP Karmas mainly.

8-9) How does the two interact : Support Karmas will basically use Compassion more in order to heal, however they can also turn on to the Evil side (Egoism) to cancel Channels with the turn-back for example. While Egoism is better made for AP Karmas hence the damage output and the sustain in lane, you can still turn to Compassion late game since it can provide more effectiveness at some points, the heal will be stronger too since the Karma player will be AP.

Why does Compassion's healing excludes herself?

Since you can juggle with your health with more ease than with Allies' health, it would be easy to gain an optimized profit of Compassion's heal which potency is great. It also really inputs the need to switch to Egoism, even if you're Support, if you want to survive.

10) New concept for the Good side's W spell. Providing a good amount of damage bonus to her teammates.

11) New concept for the Evil side's W spell. Offering an addition to Karma's deceptive kit and also a nice addition to her raw power.

10-11) How does the two interacts : Support Karmas will have the choice to either cut one opponent's damage quite heavily or buff her allies' damage potency, it will probably be preferable to use Jealousy in laning phase, turning to Friendship when the jungler ganks if an additional slow isn't really needed or a retaliation isn't feared. Friendship will really feel useful when teamfights will start, so mid game into late game, with the exceptions of some dispersed episodes, like an enemy who chases you and you thus use Jealousy to slow him and reduce his potency. Now for AP Karmas, Jealousy will also be used all laning phase, will turn to Friendship in the mid game since she would just start to acquire proper high tier AP items thus not having the damage potency to justify taking Jealousy over Friendship. Late game she can choose either one or the other in most situations.

Why does Friendship costs Health?

It provides an interesting function for Karma : since her passive turns missing % HP into AP, she can get up to 21 AP from each use of Friendship. It thus gives more power to her other spells. Basically, it offers her the possibility to control her Health in order to gain power.

12) New concept for the Good side's E spell. Providing a good amount of survivability to the team.

13) New concept for the Evil side's E spell. Providing a high amount of raw power, similar to the current Mantra'ed Soul Shield.

12-13) How does the two interact : Support Karmas will be likely to use Harmony alot for the utility it provides. They can use Desolation to deny minions/neutrals or to soak some more damage in bad situations. AP Karmas will sure use Desolation to harass/deny/zone his opponent, but can also use Harmony in mid late game in some situations. Utility vs Damage.

Why can't Karma target herself directly with Harmony?

As the base amount is very high, she could escape bad situations with a bit too much ease for it to be acceptable, but she can still be affected by the shield if she's in the radius of the ally she targeted it on.

14) A little addition to prevent people from using Mantra more than intended, also to make everything going through with more fluidity and grace.

15) Allowing a faster gain of Mantra early to have the possibility to obtain more Combos, as the spells on the other side are situational for the side you're mainly in. While in late game, it makes a vital choice to obtain the right combo. The power is also lessen overall, the spells being very powerful late, you have to choose which are the best in a given situation.

Why not just keep her current kit and raw-buff her instead?

Adding to the Duality vs Good/Bad Deeds conflict explained in point #1, I feel the need to highlight that Karma's Mantra system, while being genuine, implements the need to sacrifice one spell's full potency to get one or two others, so it always kind of make you feel bad about the spell you choose to sacrifice, and what it could have accomplished at the end. Also adding that her most powerful spell is the one that feels the less efficient (Spirit Bond) thus disregarded often. I don't say that it's not a good thing to balance her current kit, but I think the one I propose would create a more interesting gameplay, give Karma more strenght, control, and more than all, create a very fun character.[/CENTER]
As well as a potential new lore that would fit that rework :

Quote:
Throughout the earlier stage of her life, while her peers were crazed by the overflow of emotions they were undergoing, Karma would often be found meditating as, like she affirms, the key to Harmony is only accessible if the said harmony is made within your inner self first. Many were those who approached her seeking guidance from this embodiment of serenity. Oddly, some reported feeling uncomfortable in Karma's presence as if they were facing two different entities with opposite personalities.

When Noxian Troops invaded southern Ionia, her village was in the very first ones to be ravaged. In the said assault, Karma could be seen roaming around the little battlefield ; one moment a peaceful and kind helping hand ; the other moment a "possessed" fury sapping the will off of the Noxians. Her performance and perseverance during that fight saved many of her peers' lives. However, this drama unleashed a part of her she thought was under control, but had one and many positive impacts ; she's now a feared and admired symbol of balance. She used her abilities in order to raise Ionia's morale, and with Irelia's impassionate last stand against Noxus, provided a new light to the vanishing blaze of hope. For her devotion, might, and speech skills, Karma was made Duchess of Ionia and thus the figurehead of the Ionian Resistance. She never compromised, and she shared every hardship with her people, in both inner and outer combats. She learned to master the aspect of her she first chose to try to calm in her youth in order to increase her power, her inner resilience, and also to be able to defend those who can't defend themselves.

"This girl can not only trigger a storm, but calm it as well" - Irelia.

Original thread (so you see it's actually me who did it) :http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2422094

Phyrexia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
...but at the end of the day she still gets to feel awesome if she's the one securing the killing blow with that clutch banana after her team has died.
To be fair though, that's actually one of the more "oh ****, I screwed up" wince-worthy moments of playing the game. Yea, in your scenario if the support is the last one left alive and they score a kill before being gunned down then it washes some of the salt out of the wound of the ace. But let's be realistic. Come late game most supports don't do all that much damage anyway. Soraka's Q is basically a suicide button.

I guess my line of thought is, if Riot doesn't want support to be doing meaningful damage because it tends to warp the game, might as well roll with it all the way instead of just going half-way, saying a champion can be a battle mage and making something that doesn't feel good for anyone.

Plus, and this is mainly just for solo queue, if you're a support and you get a kill, almost no matter the circumstance, you're going to be endlessly raged at for a few minutes by your team. I can't tell you how many times I've gone for a last second silence on Soraka to prevent an over-the-wall flash, gotten a kill and then been reduced to the team scapegoat for the next 10 minutes.

Sure, a pacifist support won't go over well with the majority, but I'd take that as a sign it's probably a well built support. It's when I see people willingly pick and fight over playing a support that makes me worried, as it generally the shenanigans in my previous post are going on.

Zielmann

09-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
Well in terms of your comments on Garen and Darius' ults it's all about "should this ability be reliable." Sure it doesn't make sense that if you flash Garen still hits you, but it feels even worse for the Garen when he casts his ult, does the animation, and has someone flash out of it. It's an execute and once he pushes the button he expects to get a result. It cancelling due to a timing dispute ends up making him feel cheated.

Many spells have a "breaking point" it their cast time where they can no longer be cancelled, even if the target flashes away. The goal of the player is to get past that break point, if he manages to do that he expects to be rewarded by his spell hitting.

In terms of Kennen's thing, that may be a bug. Not sure you should be able to cancel his ult.
Thanks. I understand the reliability thing. And I guess that's true of the Lux/Ez ults as well. But that doesn't mean it doesn't feel like a silence at any point in the duration of their ults should cancel it. And from what I've experienced, the 'breaking point' for these two ults is pretty darn early in terms of their overall animations.

One more follow-up question, then, regarding Darius' ult. The text for the spell says:
Quote:
Darius leaps to an enemy champion and strikes a lethal blow, dealing true damage.
Shouldn't that mean that Darius actually ends up next to his target when he deals the damage? Similar to how a well-timed flash/blink/jump can actually pull Maokai further from his team than he intended? I think the most I've ever seen Darius move when ulting something is maybe 200 units. Even if he's ulting an Ezreal who uses both flash and his blink to try to get out of range right as Darius starts the cast. Darius stays in place, contrary to what the tooltip says, and Ezreal dies from 600+ units away.

Iron Solari

09-12-2012

Gypsy, we should make ham babies. We can then make them play LoL and we will have a GypsyHams. Thoughts?