Ryze item Build?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zRyanRHz

08-20-2012

What's a good item build for Ryze?

Soup Miner

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-20-2012

6 sapphire crystals and a green elixir.

FlowyS

08-20-2012

AP close range Ryze

Sorcerer's Boots
Rod of Ages
Archangel's Staff
Rabadon's Deathcap
Void Staff
Lichbane

Pigsfoot

08-20-2012

boooots
Tear for mana stacks, dont upgrade til later.
Catalyst
Glacial shroud
sorceboots ! or mercs if needed but then you need void staff/abyssal
upgrade cata to banshees, glacial to FH

game should be over. if not...

wota is nice spell vamp
tear might as well upgrade to aa

alternatively you can rush cata into Rota then build another for banshees but ap items are so meh.

Undertaker c2

08-20-2012

^^ryze scales of his total mana, not ap as much, so build to that.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-20-2012

Ryze now scales off of AP about as much as mana, per gold cost.

That said, the mana route gives a lot of defense and extra efficiency, so its still the go-to build.

Start with boots+3 in most cases as you have to dodge skillshots a LOT (mid). Sapphire+2 is fine vs melee opponents (toplane usually).

Get boots and upgrade to Catalyst and Tear ASAP. Catalyst is preferable because it gives you increased anti-burst(health), as well as a good amount of Health/Mana sustain. Tear ASAP lets you start building it up, but Id prefer the catalyst first if you have the option.

You will then counter your opponent, getting Chainmail OR negatron cloak, depending.

Upgrade to Sorc shoes whenever you can for increased damage. I do this after catalyst/tear though.

You will want to get a Glacial Shroud next, which adds more mana and armor and CDR. The CDR is really helpful and ensures a very fast Q,W,E,Q harassment combo, combined with your defensive mastery CDR and Q-built in CDR.

Upgrade to Banshees Veil for even more of a health boost from your catalyst and negatron.

So youve got:

Sorc shoes
tear
Banshee
Glacial Shroud

From here, you have several options:

* upgrade to frozen heart, for max CDR, more armor.
* Upgrade tear to AA staff. Do this at about 3k mana pool for best efficiency. Adds pure damage.
* Hextech revolver adds health sustain. Upgrade to WoTA for helping team, more health sustain, dmg.
* A second Archangels is very strong at 4k mana pool. Big damage boost.
* Abyssal scepter adds even more flat penetration and is strong if their AP champs are doing really well.
* Rod of Ages... even taken late adds a lot of health,mana, AP for a general boost...mostly survivability.
* Warmog - pure survival.. huge Effective health boost with your 200ish armor and veyr high MR.

Why not rod early? You CAN do that if you want, but most Ryze will want to get the negatron/chain faster as well as get the CDR from glacial shroud.

Once youve got heart (20%), rank 5 Q (10%), 8.1 defensive, you can start using your sustained dmg combo of Q,W,Q,E,Q,R,Q,W,Q,E,Q. About a 1 sec delay inbetween each pair. (3.5 Q cooldown reduced to 2.1, reduced by 1 cast to 1.1 sec).

Jesot

08-20-2012

^^

I just used the above guide. I didn't get past Sorc Shoes, Catalyst, Tear, and Shroud because the game ended quickly. I was doing really nice damage, so my next item was going to be Negatron/Banshee.

I had been starting with a rushed Tear, but you just don't need the regen that early and you aren't spamming spells yet to take advantage of Tear's snowball. Catalyst first does wonders for Ryze's sustain.

Pigsfoot

08-20-2012

but he said the exact same thing i did pretty much but 10x longer =O

PogoPogoPogoPogo

08-20-2012

I like to start with Tear of the Goddess, then do Catalyst the Protector. Build Catalyst into Rod of Ages, then come back and build Tear of the Goddess into Archangel's Staff.

The thing is, as someone stated, in terms of strictly gold efficiency, it's about even whether you build mana or AP in terms of how much damage you're going to output. HOWEVER, first, the same person also pointed out that the mana route helps Ryze get pretty tanky, while AP will just increase your damage. It should also be pointed out though that Ryze is played best by spamming his abilities. The more abilities you cast while other abilities are on cooldown, the quicker you can cast those abilities again (and reduce the cooldown of other abilities). Q, R, Q, E, Q, W, Q, wait, Q, E, Q. That's a pretty potent, hard-hitting combo. By building mana, you not only increase your damage output at the same rate as you would by building AP, you also increase your tankiness, and your mana pool which helps in spamming out those Ryze combos.

Rod of Ages and Archangel Staff are two items I build every single time on Ryze. And typically, I get the magic penetration boots as well.

From here though, it depends on how the game is going.

Banshee's Veil and Frozen Heart are both items great for increasing Ryze's mana pool (and damage) as well as increasing survivability. BV for AP heavy teams, FH for AD heavy teams.

Lich Bane is not an uncommon item for me to build on Ryze either. I'm no Ryze pro, so I dunno, maybe it's bad, but just look at the item.
+350 Mana (great for Ryze, one of the highest mana items that you're not already building anyway)
+80 AP (again, great for Ryze)
+7% Movement Speed (I find people highly undervalue movement speed, and here's a way to get Ryze into and out of battle quicker on an item with lots of other stats that synergize great with his abilities)

And the unique passive, which is the same as Sheen or Trinity Force, except the bonus damage is based on your AP, not your AD. After you've built Rod of Ages AND Archangel Staff (the latter converting 3% of your mana pool to AP), you actually have a LOT of AP, simply by focusing on mana. So, your autoattacks after abilities hurt REALLY hard now. And guess what? With Ryze, we're spamming our abilities as fast as we can.

I think Lich Bane is excellent on Ryze.

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with this Ryze build.

Sapphire Crystal > Tear of the Goddess
Boots 1 > Sorceror's Shoes
Catalyst the Protector > Rod of Ages
Archangel Staff
Lich Bane
Banshee's Veil
Frozen Heart

The last 3 you build in order of priority depending on the circumstances. And alternatively, you could substitute out any of the last three for other items, like Abyssal Scepter, Rabadon's Deathcap, Rylai's Crystal Scepter or Zhonya's Hourglass.

Dr Oxycodone

12-18-2012

I stacked AP to the max and decent amount of mana. did great for me, any inputs or tweaks i should do?