I'm going to be a bro and dodge for you guys.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shakenspear

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-24-2012

good idea

Vicvictorw

10-07-2012

Someone timed out in Ranked, picking a champion they absolutely cannot use, didn't fit the comp, yet refused to dodge. Hello, 30 minute dodge timer!

Art Student

10-07-2012

i love this forgive idea

Vicvictorw

10-07-2012

Riot pls.

Mannin Veen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

I agree. I was in a ranked the other night with someone who said he'd troll if I picked malphite, then trolled when I didn't and the other team got him. I took a dodge for the team, who were all being unbelievably patient with him... not all dodges are cause of unorthodox picks or something. If you can get 3 other people to forgive your dodge or something like that (which would be the case if the fourth was a troll), it should dramatically reduce your dodge penalty.

supister

10-08-2012

League of Legends is a dynamic environment with many interplays, so why should champ select be so basic and simplistic? People want to play a game that they feel will be fun, so there should be a fairer way for both sides to get games that all members feel comfortable with.

There are two problems here. One problem is that some summoners don't cooperate. It's difficult to deal with, and it can be identified in champ select. A ban type mechanism or reduction in dodge penalty could be an appropriate solution. Alternatively, there could be a lottery system where a team leader puts out a meta (not necessarily adc, ap mid, bruiser, jungler and support), and summoners bid for roles. In the Army if they just gave jobs out based on whoever put up their hand first and without regard to experience, they would see such failure. But in League of Legends, 10 random people get put together and jobs are assigned based on some random ordering and whoever can convince (con) the others they should get to play such and such champion in such a such location.

The second problem I see is the highly linear champion select method. The current approach is so locked in and restrictive, and while it was ok when there were a few dozen champs, there are over 100 now. Linear champ select cannot scale. You can't just increase it to 4 or 5 bans and hope to make people feel happy playing. There are more and more people complaining about how they think champion select sucks, and more and more people are willing to not play for >30 minutes rather than continue. League of Legends isn't popular because people get penalties, it's popular because when you can play balanced games they are fun. When you dodge a game, you don't just read LoL forums for 30 minutes, you leave the LoL scene to go play a different game where you aren't under a penalty.

So, why not have an option for multiple chances for choosing champions that both teams can feel comfortable with. When there are so many different champions, a single pick can make or break a game for one side. If teams know that at the outset, if they could swap one of their champs to better counter it, so each team can keep changing one of the champs until they both agree to play.

If you start these implementing things like this as custom modes, you will find they are popular and that existing methods are actually ****. If Riot doesn't start innovating in champion select, and if they don't fix their server security and stability issues, they will surely find their market share plateau and popularity wane. Already I've seen friends leave for greener pastures such as Dota2.