How can i be a better APC Sona?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Undying Templar

08-19-2012

Hey guys, IYAJ here.
So recently i bought a champion named Sona, and i WAS determined to become a APC Sona instead of a lame support Sona... So i played a few games and these are the results:

Game 1: 8/4/4 Victory - Surrender
Game 2: 1/5/4 Defeat
Game 3: 3/8/2 Defeat -Surrender
Game 4: 3/3/5 Defeat - Surrender
Game 5: 22/5/2 Victory
Game 6: 6/3/4 Victory
Game 7: 7/0/3 Victory
Game 8: 5/4/4 Victory -Surrender
Game 9: 5/1/1 Victory -Surrender
Game 10: 8/1/1 Victory

As you can see i did, semi-fairly as a APC Sona, when i asked other people how i can be a better APC Sona all i got was:

"Your not an APC your a support, and will always be"
"i dont thing there is a APC Sona, sorry"
"Your NOT APC your just carried and fed"
"Dont even get Sona if you dont know how to play her"

Well.. Based on my results ive basically proven to myself i CAN be an APC Sona. Does anybody else understand my position? And do you have any suggestions on how to be a better APC Sona? Please and Thank you c: - IYAJ

Éléments

08-19-2012

Well it actually depends on your build

TeknoWizard

08-19-2012

I can AP carry with Garen. Doesn't make it a good idea.

And from someone who likes to play Karma, just ignore them and carry them in victorious silence. Nay-sayers will always put anything they haven't liked down, and you gotta learn to phase them out.

Also, never call support Sona lame. D: She's an amazing support.

Cenerae

08-19-2012

Well....Sona doesn't really have the raw damage to do the job properly, and the ratio on her heal is unfortunately, ****.

That aside, she does make very good use of a Lichbane. If you got that and a DFG, you could work up your burst damage to a respectable level, but it won't match other AP carries. And unlike someone like Janna, your utility doesn't get much better with extra AP.

So, you can make it kinda-maybe work if you're really set on it. But since I don't know what you're building, hard to offer much else.

edit - just so you're aware, your k/d/a over a few games is ancedotal. Especially in normals and solo queue play. I have done well with AP tristana on a number of occasions, but I'm not going to kid myself and pretend it's good for anything other than funsies. Same deal with AD Sona, actually.

Undying Templar

08-21-2012

In my opinion Sona is probably the best APC that can turret dive. I go turret dive, pop my ult, pop my q, instant kill for some who are low health. And boom i flash outta of there and pop my heal or my w. to return to my lane safely. So proably a +1 on Turret Diving

상자상자상자

08-21-2012

^ NOT the best. Kassadin can get in and out quickly for diving. Same with Ahri. Same with LeBlanc.

TheUnburned

08-21-2012

If you don't already, get some CDR on her. She needs to be able to deal as much sustained damage as possible since she can't really burst. Shurelya's is one of my favorite items on her, even when playing as apc (which I only do in proving grounds). Morello's Evil Tome should also be in the build, as well as CDR masteries and runes.

Grab a Lich Bane to make use of your power chord's AA proc.
Build AP bruiser (Items like Abyssal, Chalice, ROA, Rylais, etc.) so you can stay in the battle longer. You wont be able to keep your W up constantly in a fight early game (with CDR, you can keep Q and W up at the same time late-game).

When your power chord is up and you have some defenses build, Initiate teamfights with your Ultimate; turn your W aura on as soon as you've used your first burst (R->Q->AA). Weave in and out of the fight based on what aura is active. Stay near teammates with your W activated while your Q is on cooldown.

corallein

08-21-2012

AP Sona exists. She's great at laning, but crappy at actually doing damage and killing people.

Sona can't get kills in lane because she has one non-ult damage spell, unless the enemy doesn't know how to play or you get lots of help from a teammate or two.
Sona contributes little damage to teamfights because she has ONE damage spell, and then one ult whose primary contribution is the stun and damage is only the secondary contribution to it.

So while AP Sona exists, I wouldn't call it a carry. AP Sona is still a support, even more so than AP Zilean who at least has massive double-bomb AOE (and he's still a hybrid AP Carry/Support rather than full AP Carry).
And what works at your level (I'm assuming it's pretty **** low) will not always work against better players.

Undying Templar

08-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallein View Post
AP Sona exists. She's great at laning, but crappy at actually doing damage and killing people.

Sona can't get kills in lane because she has one non-ult damage spell, unless the enemy doesn't know how to play or you get lots of help from a teammate or two.
Sona contributes little damage to teamfights because she has ONE damage spell, and then one ult whose primary contribution is the stun and damage is only the secondary contribution to it.

So while AP Sona exists, I wouldn't call it a carry. AP Sona is still a support, even more so than AP Zilean who at least has massive double-bomb AOE (and he's still a hybrid AP Carry/Support rather than full AP Carry).
And what works at your level (I'm assuming it's pretty **** low) will not always work against better players.
Lol, no im not a low level, im level 28. I've decided to play some more games as AP Sona, its been going well, Especially if i can build some ability based items just as Deathfire Grasp to get some easy damage out!

Lethadind

08-26-2012

Why Sona is not a viable APC in competitive play:

Her passive does not use AP at all. It increases in damage as she increases in level, that's it.

Her Q is her only "nuke" spell, and it has an AP scaling ratio of 70%.

Her W Heals. WTF does an APC need a heal for?

Her E grants movement speed (next to negligible for chasing a champion down, this is almost always leveled last anyway).

Her R does little damage, and still has a low (80%) AP scaling on top of it. It is a mass stun, plain and simple, and is used to help your AD Carries beat down high priority targets for about 2 seconds (1.5 second stun + the .5 seconds it takes to get out of range).

Her Passive bonuses give, in order:

-Bonus damage not scaling with AP
-Damage Reduction
-Slow

None of these work into an AP Carry's kit at all.

ALL of them work for supporting. Her Q is used for poke in laning, and to add extra damage so her ADC can last hit more effectively. Her W is obviously used for lane sustain. Her E is used for both aiding her ADC in chasing them down, or escaping if things get sticky. Her R is a mass stun - used for interrupting channeling, catching a champion out of position, or as an initiator for a teamfight.

Most of the damage Sona ends up doing is shown on other champion's "Damage Done" as her Q aura adds a respectable amount of team damage until very late game.

There are two types of AP Carries - Assassins and Mages. Assassins have incredible burst plus good escapes, and usually some type of DPS Sustain (i.e. Fizz's W). Mages usually have either interrupts, AoE damage, or good poking and harassing skills (Malzahar comes to mind, as he has all three, with his ult, his pool, and his minions). Sona has neither burst nor DPS, so she doesn't fit assassin, and all she has from the Mage category is an interrupt. Her "AoE" on her Q is two targets for negligible damage, and her harass falls off hard mid game.

So, against scrubs who don't know how to play, sure, APC Sona can wreck havoc, but consider grabbing a champion with a better kit for APC and wrecking even more havoc. In other words, just because you got high scores with APC Sona does not mean that it makes her a viable AP Carry. APC Sona is for when you are in a match where you know you will destroy your opponents and you just want to mess with them. It's demoralizing to get destroyed by an AP Sona. Why? Because she's not an AP Carry. Ergo you flaunted the fact that you outskill your opponents by leaps and bounds because you beat them with...

Wait for it...

AP CARRY SONA!!! BAHAHAHAHA!!!

Ahem. A good build to troll with APC Sona would be those suggested above. Lich Bane, DFG, RDC, Maybe Rylai's, and some defense.