Help me with AP Carries please

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BarbeqdBrwniez

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2012

Hey there, I'm BarbeqdBrwniez, I'm a mid-ELO (1191 right now, been hovering around 1200) player and I mainly play AP Carries, with a little bit of dabbling in the rest, but APC is my favorite role.

I was just wondering if ya'll could give me some tips/tricks for my favorite AP carries so that I can work on carrying myself to a better ELO, my top 5 champs (in no order) and roughly my builds (but of course builds change depending on the game, but having an idea of what I want is never a bad thing) are...

1. Gragas - I love the fat man, he has massive health and mana sustain, insane AOE damage for farming/team fights, one of the best pokes in the game, and a game changing low-cooldown ulti.

I start boots/3 health pots (but then again, so does everybody other than supports) and grab a few dorans rings and rush a deathfire, with the goal being to always have wards/hp pots, and to either grab a dorans or a piece for my deathfire whenever I go b.

Also, Fancy Gragas (Gragas Esq.) is epic

2. Heimerdinger - Another old favorite, great pushing/defensive potential, pretty tough to gank once you hit 6 as long as you are setup, and rockets destroy people.

Again, boots/3, then I try to go for an Athene's grail and a few dorans rings for tankiness/early ap/regen, as well as keeping wards/pots up at all times.

Snowmerdinger OP

3. Karthus - Finally somebody who doesn't specialize in long-ranged poke, I like Karthus because he can heavily influence the game while staying mid to farm. I generally play Karthus fairly suicidal as long as I'm getting fed (as in, running in to a 5v5, dying and getting a kill, and then getting 1-3 more kills after dying)

Boots/3, sometimes I go tear but recently I've just been liking earlier AP more. I haven't played much Karthus for a while though so I'm not sure how things like Athene's would work for him, and I would love some tips on building him.

4. Veigar - I love killing things instantly and Fancy Veiger (Superb Villain Veigar) is one of my favorite skins.

I play Veigar two ways (both starting boots/3), I either play safe, farm a lot, maybe go for a chalice/Grail, sometimes a tear instead, and just farm up my Q and get really jacked, or I rush a deathfire and work on killing things instantly, with dorans rings thrown around, it depends on the game/ my mood.

5. Xerath - Low Orbit Ion Cannon. That's what Xerath means to me, I build tons of AP, and I just sit back and murder kids with lots of damage and 40% CDR for more arcanopulses and ultimates.

Boots/3 -> dorans rings + Morellos + blue buff, deathcap, perhaps deathfire if I'm having trouble keeping a blue buff up at all times.

And some honorable mentions for AP champs that I like, but aren't these 5 I plan on maining for ranked, are Viktor, Zyra, Twisted Fate, Malz, Morgana (although if I ever get the chance in ranked I will of course take Morgana, I am as comfortable playing her as I am any of my top 5, she is just banned too much to be one of my ranked mains), and Galio, although I would take Gragas over Galio any day, he just feels better in almost every way to me, not sure why. Also, I plan on practicing my Fizz and Orianna in normals because Fizz can be a great counterpick and Orianna is apparently strong as hell right now!

So, to sum it all up, any tips for Gragas/Heimerdinger/Karthus/Veiger/Xerath, or laning AP mid in general? Matchups in which I should/should not pick some out of the above 5, etc.

Thank you so much for your help, and if anybody (2K+ would be awesome, I want to get DESTROYED, but I'm 1200, so just about anybody will be better than me to play against) plays mainly AP mid and would like to 1v1 me so I can get some practice on some laning things, that would be awesome, just add me in game, BarbeqdBrwniez, and if we're ever both on it would be a blast!

Éléments

08-19-2012

Usually, if you rush deathcap on any APC it's fine. Try rushing it with gragas, you'll find that he can hella poke/farm. I would also consider not playing xerath too much because he is easily countered!

Astral Yorae

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2012

BarbeqdBrwniez, add me in game and it woudl be a pleasure to share some ideas.

BarbeqdBrwniez

08-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vl Elements Vl View Post
Usually, if you rush deathcap on any APC it's fine. Try rushing it with gragas, you'll find that he can hella poke/farm. I would also consider not playing xerath too much because he is easily countered!
I see that for a lot of people and have tried it to varying degrees of effectiveness, although I know for gragas I see the pros get deathfire first and it works super well for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Yorae View Post
BarbeqdBrwniez, add me in game and it woudl be a pleasure to share some ideas.
I accepted your friend request, I'd love to

Also, any tips for runes/masteries? I use 21/0/9 or 21/9/0 depending on the apc and their mana issues, and I use magic pen/flat AP/ap per level/flat ap for red/yellow/blue/quint.

BarbeqdBrwniez

08-20-2012

Bump for help?

Jeggred Baenre

08-25-2012

If you are looking for help with Galio, add me and ask away.

SanduskyCase

08-25-2012

Gragas: Outfarm and outpoke. When they go to last hit (you know..) throw out your barrel. Bam. Also, look for opportunities pre-6 to body slam onto them and then Q right away. At level 6 just prepare to EQR.

Karthus: You win no lane so don't expect it. Just farm wraiths/mid, roam if you can with your wall and secure kills with ult. Become OP late game.

Xerath: Same concept with Gragas. When they last hit, EQ (or just Q). Auto attack them. Assert your lane dominance because the lane is yours in most matchups after level 6.

Veigar: don't be afraid to miss Q farm to Q the enemy instead. It does hit hard and Veigar scales insanely well with lane dominance over measely Q farm. Around level 4 or 5 really expend mana on Qing the enemy so you can full combo at 6.

Also pick up Ahri and Q enemies when they last hit to instantly chunk them. When they last hit again, ult in and full combo them to death.

Basically, your lane concept that people miss is harassing when they last hit. They GIVE you the window to harass them because they're stuck auto attacking and you know they are committing to that last hit and not you. If you are 600 health and they take 200 damage from a last hit, you have full control over the lane. Small things like stealing enemy wraiths will seriously put you so far ahead the enemy can't come back if you play it correctly.

Also, this is my smurf account (my main is banned on the forums for whatever reason) but look up Leirkov. I have gotten to 1950 Elo maining mid and I'm climbing back up again. These concepts will seriously improve your gameplay.