How to Hecarim?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

STANKSTORM DELTA

1 Day Ago

i went to hoers plz

I did some comp-stomps doing Frozen Fist and Visage opener with some cool results, maxing E then W. I figured I need to survive in order to spam Q in the first place, and I love the healing capabilities with W in teamfights.

So, naturally, I got melted my first pvp and didn't quite feel effective.

I know he's considered mid-to-bottom tier, but how would one go with Hecarim? Triforce/tank? CDR Bruise?

HaIfhearted

1 Day Ago

Paging Mr. Wolferer. You have someone asking to see you.

Anywho, I usually see some form of early Sheen on Hecarim and then I dunno.

wolferer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

1 Day Ago

You absolutely have to max Q first. There's no reasonable other option since so much of his damage is tied up in that skill. For W vs E you can go either way, but I think W makes more sense because it's a more important cooldown. You'll usually be fine with one E per fight, you just can't use it to run around the map before fights start (even if you max it you can't really do this).

Now lets talk about how to use Hecarim's abilities.

Stats
Hecarim has 175 attack range since he has a polearm. Most melees are at 125. I find this to be very nice. You also have cool stuff like MR/lvl and a medium-high base ad.

Passive
This does nothing early game, and gives you about a BF sword late game. Don't strain yourself trying to build as much MS as you can, it's not worth it. Don't build swifties just because of this, and don't bring MS quints just because of this.

Ignoring unit collision is also pretty underrated. If you're fighting minions you can run around through them and your opponent may have trouble sticking to you (while you abuse your range).

Q
The notable things about this spell are the range, the decreasing cooldown, and the fact that it procs sheen.

Hecarim's Q has a 350 range. You don't have to be completely on top of enemies to Q them. Against many bruisers you can land Q and back off without them being able to attack. This ties in to point 2.

Ideally you want to hit targets with Q a few times before committing to a fight to maximize your damage. Try to hit people with max range Q while dancing around the fight, then go in after a few. Also use minions to charge it up.

Sheen procs are self explanatory. CDR is nice with this skill as you can bring it down to 1.2 seconds when fully charged, but it functions fine with no CDR. If you have reasons to itemize otherwise don't sweat it. Random other notes, you can cast this while moving, and it doesn't really interact with your auto-attacking. You can AA and Q at the same time.

W
About all there is to this ability is to not use it when you are at full health and not taking damage. This thing heals you pretty massively when you're in the center of a team fight, so try to use it when your teammates are going to pump damage in and heal you. The 18 second cooldown at max rank is pretty real, so try to use this when you actually need it.

Tower damage counts. This skill is great when defending towers. It's also great when you combo it with burst damage from your R.

E
Please don't use this in combat as a damage cooldown. It does less damage than an auto-attack. The best use for this I've found is to run around like an idiot and avoid enemy abilities. Also note that this gives you ad through your passive. Use Q while you are running around like an idiot dodging all the skills.

Also, by running around like an idiot, you will boost the damage on this. At max rank this can nuke pretty hard. 360 damage +100% bonus AD (includes his pretty big boost from passive while this is active). If you use this and hit your opponent immediately you basically get nothing out of it.

Random other note, this boosts your attack range to 325 and lets you move when rooted. I abused this a bit when I was bot lane hecarim vs Bebepop's Ryze. Get rooted, jump on Ryze and continue hitting him. You can go over terrain to, but that doens't come up much in Dominion. Not sure if you can get over the windmill wall, someone test that.

R
Great mobility, damage, CC, and CC immunity. When possible save this for the middle of a fight. If you've 1v1, save it to follow enemy flashes and escapes. Also use it for burst healing with your W.

Items
Hecarim uses just about any item quite well. He even has real AP ratios. I dislike FF because I dislike that item in general. Buy Triforce instead, you stick to people just about as well and you get 200% base ad sheen procs instead of 150% procs. Plus you get cool stats like attack speed, crit, and health. Way better than FF on melees IMO.

You can go damage terror hecarim and buy a ghostblade. Or you can go triforce tanky hecarim. You can stack up CDR, or you can not. Items are pretty flexible.

Spirit Visage is your MR item of choice. Randuins is your armor item of choice. If you're against kitey stuff, buy swifties, trinity and zephyr for maximum rudeness.

I like Sanguine Blade over Ravenous Hydra currently. It's a pretty good third item if you are able to deal damage and don't need to be tankier.

Buy Last Whisper when you need it. If you are going Trinity Force, I don't think Black Cleaver is the way to go since they're both quite expensive. BC is fine on him in general though because you stack it fast.

In conclusion, here is fancy wolf's opinion of Hecarim.

HaIfhearted

1 Day Ago

Dat vod. Holy ****ing **** were my mechanics really that bad back then?
Also I see that Bebes skillshot accuracy is unchanged, hue.

Penteano

1 Day Ago

1 - run around the map as a happy pony like there is no tomorrow
2 - ???
3 - Victory

STANKSTORM DELTA

1 Day Ago

Thanks for the heads up! I'll give it a whirl during his free week. : D