Tentative Idea for the DD tournament

12345 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Koravel

03-18-2014

I was talking with Afro and decided to post this to see what you guys think of it.

The primary issue with the tournament atm is that we don't have any real competition, (shoutout to Goon Squad for last week giving Clueless all they could handle, if they can do that again, then we have 3 teams instead of 2).

Everyone knows beforehand, "Hey, one of these two teams is going to win the tourney."

I want to try to get new blood into the tournament. I have talked with at least ten people over the course of the past two weeks about it, and the response is generally something along the lines of being afraid of just getting their ass kicked in round 1.

I'd like to propose an idea that might possibly get some of these people to give it a shot.

Once every so often, (say, every tenth tournament or something), make it so that people sign up as individuals and the teams are randomized. Not throughout the tourney over and over again, that's silly. Just once, at the start. If people don't want to participate because its random and you don't want to get stuck with people who don't really know the mode, then sitting out once/10 tourneys isn't that much of a hardship.

You could bill it as "get a chance to play with people who play Dominion a ton," or something along those lines, (I'm not a marketer, someone else come up with a slogan).

The idea here being- get people to try the mode in a competitive environment. Once they try it once, maybe they will stick around.

MonsterSS4

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2014

sounds legit, but damn this is going to so much more added work on admins, or we use rgn to make the teams b4 the tourny and sign them up?

KaWraith

03-18-2014

Didn't we have an idea about running double elimination... so that teams didn't get knocked out super early, and got to play at minimum 2 rounds? the 'loser bracket' as it were would be a great place for non top teams to get in a bunch of games against other non-top teams

Another idea is hosting a more elaborate afterparty (with new casters, since that's a lot to ask after running a tourney)
there could be ample opportunity to 'play with the pros' since plenty of people stick around anyway.

Learnfromthat

03-18-2014

How about you have everybody enter individually and get randomly paired with teammates each round.

Say 40 people enter - that'd be 8 teams normally.

Those 40 people get randomly paired into teams 8 teams of 5. 4 teams win so those 20 people move onto the next round.

Those 20 are then randomly paired into 4 new teams. 2 teams win so those 10 people move on.

Those 10 people are then randomly paired into 2 new teams to play the championship.

Then the tournament becomes much more friendly to new blood because 1) you aren't intimidated by long-standing teams that have played together for a long time and 2) you don't need to find 4 other people you think are good at Dominion to participate, which is hard to find in this day and age. You can just participate yourself.

This would also make it so only the best players end up winning, not simply the best/most experienced team. You would need to be a good player and also have good teamwork regardless of who you are playing this. That is the mark of an awesome player. If you can only have good teamwork playing with one team, then that's not a skill. It's just experience.

Edit: Oh I see Koravel is trying to steal my idea without giving me credit but slightly tweak it so it's only randomized the first round.

The reason it needs to be randomized each round is to prevent the luck factor from someone simply getting the "best" players on their team then winning because of that. That would not be an earned tournament win. When they are randomized then it becomes much more about your individual level of play, skill, and ability to work well with others regardless of who they may be.

If this is too much work, I would gladly run the first one of these style tournaments FOR you.

Koravel

03-18-2014

@Learnfromthat: No. That's precisely what I said not to do.

Besides the fact that this would be a ton of extra work on the admins, that doesn't actually determine who the best players are. That isn't what this is for, in any case.

Just playing four games, even with purely random teammates, would not show that the winning team was the best. The elo system only works because of the large sample size. Four games is nowhere near enough. Now if the same individual won 9 out of 10 times or something, then sure. Your idea is entirely too much work and doesn't make sense. We want to promote teamwork- sticking with the same team throughout the tourney is far better for that.

And don't think I don't know who you actually are, Xander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learnfromthat View Post
Oh I see Koravel is trying to steal my idea without giving me credit but slightly tweak it so it's only randomized the first round.
Oh so you're admitting you are Xander now. Well, at least that's a start.

This idea is rather different than your ridiculously complicated one, at least as far the entire motivation and intent for the tourney goes. I'm not doing this because I think the current tourney setup doesn't show who the best players are, as you constantly use as an excuse for not entering the tourney.

This is purely to get new blood interested in the tournament, not to stroke the ego of someone who thinks they are better than everyone else despite being stuck at low elo. It's actually designed to attract people with entirely the opposite attitude as yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSS4 View Post
sounds legit, but damn this is going to so much more added work on admins, or we use rgn to make the teams b4 the tourny and sign them up?
RGN?

I'm sure there is a system where we could put all the names in and then have it automatically randomize them. I don't know how that would work with mobafire and actually signing up teams, or if this is even plausible. Just throwing out the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaWraith View Post
Didn't we have an idea about running double elimination... so that teams didn't get knocked out super early, and got to play at minimum 2 rounds? the 'loser bracket' as it were would be a great place for non top teams to get in a bunch of games against other non-top teams

Another idea is hosting a more elaborate afterparty (with new casters, since that's a lot to ask after running a tourney)
there could be ample opportunity to 'play with the pros' since plenty of people stick around anyway.
The issue with both ideas is time. Double elimination would add one additional round to the tourney, so not so bad. Elaborate after-parties would add even more. The tourney already ends around 12 AM for me, (EST), I can't go more than an hour or so later than that. Not to mention a lot of the "pros" aren't going to stick around just to play for fun.

wolferer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2014

Yeah, so the problem with this idea is that most of the top players just wouldn't want to play in it. I'd probably play just for giggles, but I'm pretty certain that all of my teammates would not want to play with random teammates.

The better idea is to not replace a DD tournament with this, but to run some separate event. Get a ton of Dominion players together (people won't want to play with clueless SR players) and randomly/fairly split them into teams, then run a tournament.

Learnfromthat

03-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferer View Post
Yeah, so the problem with this idea is that most of the top players just wouldn't want to play in it. I'd probably play just for giggles, but I'm pretty certain that all of my teammates would not want to play with random teammates.
But that's what League of Legends matchmaking is. Do they not play the game without a full party? Only goes to prove you can only win because of your teammates.

Koravel

03-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferer View Post

The better idea is to not replace a DD tournament with this, but to run some separate event. Get a ton of Dominion players together (people won't want to play with clueless SR players) and randomly/fairly split them into teams, then run a tournament.
Yah, if the "pros" won't even play, then there would be no point, as that is kinda the entire point of the tournament.

That would be up to them, if they wanted to try something to help get some new blood in here. If they aren't willing to do it, the idea isn't going to work.

Koravel

03-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learnfromthat View Post
But that's what League of Legends matchmaking is. Do they not play the game without a full party? Only goes to prove you can only win because of your teammates.
Your ignorance is just astounding lol. They solo queue all the time, or most of them do. That's how they got up where they are.

There is no such thing as elo hell, sorry.

ZallKlos

03-18-2014

Koravel, your idea sounds like a description of solo queue but with more incentive to rage.

12345 ... 10