Stop building tear on PG

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Intrinsic Entity

08-19-2012

In most of the PG games I've play, people are getting tear for first buy. In order to do damage, it costs mana so I assume they buy mainly to sustain mana. But it still doesn't keep mana up even with archangel's upgrade

Chalice, however, will keep mana up even when you're spamming abilities right off of CD with max CDR in most cases. (not kassadin's or kog'maw's ults)

Only champions that scale of off mana should get tear (and that champ is only ryze)
...Or champions with abilities that have extremely short CD's AND extremely high mana costs (namely kass/kog ults; kog's ult costs 400 mana at max stacks on <1 second CD)
....But kass/kog on an ap build will require both anyway...

tl;dr
grail OP; AA UP
You will run out of mana with Tear of the Goddess/Archangel's Staff (even with 0% CDR) and therefore do less than potential damage.
Chalice of Harmony/Athene's Unholy Grail actually sustains mana (even at max cdr). Not to mention the cost effectiveness of the stats (Magic resist and CDR)

Please stop buying tear on ziggs/sona/orianna/zilean and basically any other ap champ with tear as a recommended item.

EDIT: Not sure of the downvotes, I essentially discussed how chalice/grail allows for more damage, heals, shields, overall utility, etc. Tear/AA is either underpowered or chalice/grail is overpowered as it stands.

Nea De Penserhir

08-19-2012

Are you going to tell me to stop building Philo Regrowth with health pots too?

iPrecision

08-19-2012

So karthus shouldn't build Tear even though he can max it fast? Seems legit.

TealNinje

08-19-2012

I just realised what he's talking about...

Proving Grounds is an extension of ARAM, and is a much less serious gametype. The entire point of the gametype is to have fun while ignoring the usual conventions of play. Ergo, you'll get people who will do random things that don't really make a lot of sense because, oh hey, it's ARAM, so it doesn't matter.

PhailRaptor

Adjudicator

08-19-2012

Playing Sona, I managed to get a Tear 65% charged before the enemy team actually managed to kill me. When I came back to lane, it was an Archangel worth over 100 AP. Ziggs can do it almost as fast, and becomes far more deadly due to his obscene ratios.

Keep in mind that some people build for late game, rather than early game.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2012

Ryze on PG would still want Tear.

Certified

08-19-2012

Tear is still hugely cost effecient...
If YOU don't want to buy tear, don't...
If OTHER PEOPLE want to buy tear, that's their own choice...

Tear is not under-powered, their play-style is just different to yours and you should respect that...
Most of the champions you listed can stack Tear rather fast, so it's still viable for them...

Intrinsic Entity

08-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPrecision View Post
So karthus shouldn't build Tear even though he can max it fast? Seems legit.
What's so good about having a huge mana pool? You don't scale off from having a huge pool and you're still gonna run out.

You can literally spam q with chalice and never run out.

Intrinsic Entity

08-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhailRaptor View Post
Playing Sona, I managed to get a Tear 65% charged before the enemy team actually managed to kill me. When I came back to lane, it was an Archangel worth over 100 AP. Ziggs can do it almost as fast, and becomes far more deadly due to his obscene ratios.

Keep in mind that some people build for late game, rather than early game.
Sona doesn't scale on mana; she scales on CDR. You still run out of mana with AA. Sure, compared to Grail, AA has ~40 more ap but Grail has 15% CDR and therefore will let Sona do more DPS and (Heal)PS over longer bit of time.

Not sure about the late game statement. Late Game: Grail > AA.

Intrinsic Entity

08-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certified View Post
Tear is still hugely cost effecient...
If YOU don't want to buy tear, don't...
If OTHER PEOPLE want to buy tear, that's their own choice...

Tear is not under-powered, their play-style is just different to yours and you should respect that...
Most of the champions you listed can stack Tear rather fast, so it's still viable for them...
How is tear cost efficient? Chalice is cheaper and does the mana-sustain job better.
This statement is true even with Archangels vs Grail.
I'm not making anyone do anything; this is just a PR announcement about how tear is a noob trap item.

Not sure how play style has to do anything with it. Even if you start off with a 1000-mana tear on first buy, chalice/grail is still better in overall stats/cost.