Dodge runes in this day and age

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chakki

09-15-2010

I use health/lvl on my Kennen and some other champions because I don't go into defense, but on Shen or Morde I'll grab dodge seals, still.

malphismia

09-15-2010

Every DPS runs ArPen on red, so they can get near/full penetration at level 1.

Armor seals can negate most of their penetration. Definitely something to consider.

Diomedea

09-15-2010

They still do what they always did. Not like you got them just to dodge the four or so champions that have undodgeable moves. Plus, half of them are barely played (like Poppy, for instance).

They are like armor runes, but better. Not nullified by ArPen, the reduction is a bit more substantial, and it protects from autoattacks that have a magic damage component, like Kayle's righteous fury or Kennen's... whatever it's called.

Dissonance119

09-15-2010

I keep my Runes of the Elusive Snowflake still

They are like that one crit rune in my red. Not something to rely on, not at all - instead, a luck bonus.

They do, however, become quite noticeable when i put points in defensive, and especially when I play a dodge champ ala Sivir.

Cocoabutter

09-15-2010

HP/lvl yellows.

Carados

09-15-2010

HP/Level yellows are still terrible and anyone suggesting them is bad at this game. You get a negligible amount of HP at all levels, instead of when you need HP the most. HP/Level has never been the second rune choice after dodge. Armor has.

Dodge is still good. Just because you can't dodge half the on-hit effects in the game doesn't mean that they're bad, they're still the best yellow seal for pretty much anyone. Nimbleness is basically the best mastery on any tree, it's still a flat 7.5% reduction for physical damage from auto attacks, and so on.

Ebonclaw

09-15-2010

I can't count the number of times I've been trying to harass an enemy MAGE and gotten Dodge strings 3-5 long. Dodge will not lose relevance as long as the RNG algorithm for it defies all possibility and gives you more Dodge than listed in your character sheet.

JoeDuo

09-15-2010

Dodge mostly only affects auto-attacks, and auto-attacks are mostly physical damage.
Armor seals are more effective than dodge seals at blocking physical auto-attacks. (1.41 armor vs 0.75 dodge)
Armor seals also reduce damage from physical damage skills.

Nimbleness is the only thing going for dodge seals.

Covenant

09-15-2010

Armor seals adding 1.41 per rune adds up to about 14ish armor, which is kinda bland. Afterall, that's even less than a Cloth Armor (+18 armor) and while it's a handy way to reduce early-game armor penetration it's not hard to get armor other ways if survivability is your focus. It won't really help squishies much either, except at those very early levels.

Dodge seals adding .75 per rune adds up to a 6.75 percent dodge chance, which may seem bland but is actually very potent if you consider the value of avoiding 6.75 percent of all attacks on you that game. There's only two items in the game that add a dodge chance, Ninja Tabi and Phantom Dancer. Both of those are items that often get overshadowed by other items, leaving your average character with a zero percent of dodge.

Another 14 armor really doesn't interest me all that much, but I won't say it doesn't have value, because it absolutely does. It's handy early on when combined with a cloth armor, because starting with a base armor of say 18... is a lot less than 18+18+14, and can give you another 20% effective HP at level 1. If you're laning as a melee, I can see the attraction. But it doesn't scale nearly as well or offer you anything special. But if you're going to dabble in defense you might be able to start with a pretty hefty armor rating that way.

But dodge seals are still something that can save your life out of nowhere and give you a far more difficult-to-counter advantage than armor. And 99 percent of characters can't buy better dodge than that, not unless your're willing to build ninja tabi instead of merc treads.

I own a set of dodge seals and see their advantage pop up fairly often, but even so I think the armor seals plus cloth armor plus defensive masteries might actually add up to a more efficient early-game setup than dodge... even if dodge is more valuable across the entire game.

JoeDuo

09-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
Armor seals adding 1.41 per rune adds up to about 14ish armor, which is kinda bland.
That's 12.69 armor, and that armor will reduce all physical damage by up to 12.69%.

6.75% dodge will reduce auto-attack damage by up to 6.75%.

It's your choice.