Lux, and how to best play her.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Forrestfire15

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-18-2012

Hello, my name is Forrestfire and I am a fairly average player. I have recently gotten into ranked and, while I'm not especially good, I have been doing well climbing back up from my fall to just over 1000.

My main champion is Lux, she was my first and has been my best since I began playing League of Legends. I wanted to open discussion with other Lux players, since I rarely see them in-game and she is always very strong when I play her.

I have played with a ton of different builds with lux, and I have tweaked them and arrived at the current setup I run:

Masteries: 21/0/9, with maxed movespeed in the support tree over mana
Skill priority: R > E > W > Q
Spells: Teleport/Flash
Item Build:

*Note* I generally try to have at least one ward and one of each potion every time I return to lane, and I rarely have problems getting my items even with this monetary drain.

Start Boots & 3 health potions
Early Game: Null Magic Mantle -> Chalice of Harmony -> Catalyst the Protector (prioritizing Ruby Crystal if against heavy poke and Sapphire Crystal otherwise)

By early-mid game I want to have Boots of Speed, Chalice of Harmony, and Catalyst the Protector, depending on how well I have done in lane.

After this core, I will build into Sorcerer's Shoes and Rod of Ages, depending on what parts I can get and still grab wards.

Once I finish RoA, my item build is fairly situational:
Athene's Unholy Grail if I don't get a chance to B often, or if I need the CDR and extra MR. This is my most common choice, since it gives me extra sustain for ganking and laning if we haven't gotten to large teamfights yet.
Zhonya's Hourglass if I am getting focused hard in teamfights and need the defense. I am generally mobile enough that I rarely need this option.
Void Staff if they have a ridiculous amount of magic resist.
Lich Bane is generally only built after deathcap or if I absolutely need the tower-pushing ability. However, it is core to Lux's lategame.
Rabbadon's Deathcap if I absolutely need more damage and I have no need of the other three items.

I generally build Deathcap after Athenes if I go that route, since it means I didn't need the utility presented by the other two items.

------------

One thing I have noticed in my time playing Lux is that generally I don't need deathcap until lategame, because the damage from my E, ult, and autoattack procs is already ridiculous. After the laning phase, I try to always be with someone who built damage, since I can generally knock out half or most of a squishy champ's health with E->Q->AA or apply CC to a tankier champ while still doing a fair amount of damage.

I find that using my ult liberally is the best way to go, because it has such a ridiculously low cooldown that it is always up when I need it. In fact, at level 18 with full CDR, I often find myself using it multiple times in protracted teamfights.

-----------

So yeah... I just wanted to post up how I play this champion, and see if anyone else has any advice or critique, or even just wants to share their build.

AsianDiction

08-18-2012

Hey there, I'm a avid Lux player as well. I agree with your build, but why no Lich bane? The passive is made FOR Lux's passive. Athene's Unholy Grail is an alright item, but I only get it as the last item. I get Zhonya's Hourglass if they have fed or 3 AD going for you. RoA is usually my first item unless I'm fed as hell. The survivability it gives is so good.

My combo if I'm going for kill is Q,E,R, detonate E, autoattack and ignite. If not, just Q,E with autoattacks in between. I rather risk losing a autoattack than my ult missing because my snare doesn't hold for so long when autoattacking. I prefer snaring over the E as my E is 100% gonna land and after I use my combo, the slow allows you to catch up and proc your passive.

Summoner Spells - Flash/Ignite. If I'm mid, Flash/Teleport like yours.
Masteries - 21/0/9 when I get to level 30... Lv 26 now. You can add me and check it out if you wish.

Thats it for now... Lux is OP in my opinion Can't play LoL though, can't get it on this school laptop No more Lazers for me

Forrestfire15

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2012

Ah! I totally forgot about lich bane for the purposes of my post. I generally build it after deathcap.

Cruxae

08-19-2012

I'd rather not take Lux advice from an unranked player with only 8 ranked games under his belt.

No thanks.

Also, I've played a fair amount of Lux games. One of the easiest heroes to pick up.

Rod of Ages isn't a very good item. Lux has no use of the tankiness. You should never be in the thick of a battle as lux. You have to use your long range to skirt the sidelines and deal as much damage as possible.

A great build to dominate mid game and roam, picking up a lot of kills would be with double/triple Doran's rings and Sorc shoes. Rabadons deathcap should be picked up immediately after this. Lich bane is a good item on her. You can then get Zhonya's hourglass, deathfire grasp etc.

Alway's get flash/ignite. Teleport isn't very good mid, especially since it's the shortest lane.

Forrestfire15

08-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruxae View Post
I'd rather not take Lux advice from an unranked player with only 8 ranked games under his belt.

No thanks.
I wasn't asking you to. I was just sharing how I build her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruxae View Post
Also, I've played a fair amount of Lux games. One of the easiest heroes to pick up.

Rod of Ages isn't a very good item. Lux has no use of the tankiness. You should never be in the thick of a battle as lux. You have to use your long range to skirt the sidelines and deal as much damage as possible.

A great build to dominate mid game and roam, picking up a lot of kills would be with double/triple Doran's rings and Sorc shoes. Rabadons deathcap should be picked up immediately after this. Lich bane is a good item on her. You can then get Zhonya's hourglass, deathfire grasp etc.

Alway's get flash/ignite. Teleport isn't very good mid, especially since it's the shortest lane.
Thanks for the advice. ^_^

Astral Yorae

08-19-2012

Hey man, Lux is one of my fav champs. Add me in game I would be glad to give some tips.

Squidoop

08-20-2012

I build Lux for pure damage ie., rushing Deathcap after 2 dorans.

RoA is bad on Lux. She's long-ranged and squishy enough that she doesn't need the health. (well, you will survive in lane longer I guess, but RoA severely gimps your damage output in teamfights and lane). With Chalice and Catalyst you get 0 AP, and Lux really needs the AP to do her main job besides CC and shields well: insane laser combos for massive damage. You "only" have 1 damage spell besides your ultimate.

Lichbane - The passive doesn't seem very useful on Lux either. Sure it goes with your passive, but your passive falls off lategame when going within AA range of enemies in teamfights means instadeath. I guess you could take down towers faster by yourself. I might start getting this after Deathhat....

Chalice is OK, but it's a bad first item. You don't really need insane mana regen in lane; just be efficient with your E. You burst down the enemy mage post-6 after you wittle him down to 3/4 health and catch him with your Q, which you don't need Chalice for. Ask your jungler nicely for blue buffs. If you're not getting them regularly then it's time to get a chalice.

I've found that even though I usually take Ignite on Lux I use it only rarely. The problem is that its range is shorter than all your spells. Teleport is a decent alternative. CV if you're feeling REALLY confident (and mildly troll-y) and want to do insane laser snipes. (There's no satisfaction like lazor-stealing the enemy blue safely from mid lane while Orianna and her jungler are getting it).

Glass cannon builds are great on lux because of her range and AOE damage!

FlowyS

08-20-2012

RoA is good in Lux against matchups like Vegiar or Le Blanc. People don't realize that more survivalbility = safer for Lux to proc her passive.

It is very dangerous to proc Lux's passive against Annie if Lux builds a Deathcap because she can easily be 1 comboed. A lot of pro 2k players also build RoA on Lux in many situations where they want a balanced stat rather than a lot of AP. The better skilled a player is with Lux, the better they can know when to get close to use her passive because her passive adds like around +40% damage on average for a full combo, which is a lot!

I also recommened to take a point in W early on at level 3 or 4. W helps a lot if you find yourself trading damage with your opponent.

Forrestfire15

08-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowyS View Post
I also recommened to take a point in W early on at level 3 or 4. W helps a lot if you find yourself trading damage with your opponent.
W is one of her best skills, though. It lets her get the proc off and trade with impunity, as well as being useful in teamfights.

HeroKillerz

09-01-2012

Ok let's see, Lux
shes high range mage like koggy and Xerath, but unlike them her damage isn't very high. Instead she has a lot of utility like the snare, a shield and her e which is a castable 5 second ward. I would recommend building a death cap first as all mages love that then go into cd boots plus chalice and turn that into athene's.With runes and masteries you can easily hit cd cap and spam all your skills.(yes this includes your ultimate at late game w/ about a 20 sec cd)

Since she is really adept at poking you should do it often. When your opponent initiate however you need to shift to utility mode casting your shield first to block the initial burst on allies as well as landing your e to slow enemies for your q which snares. If your ultimate is up make sure you at least hit 2-3 NON TANK champions.

You need to remember to use that shield FIRST and not go all crazy with you slow, snare and BIG LAZER

When playing as Lux you need to abuse that cast-able ward checking bushes instead of face checking .I rather lose 100 mp then to give 300 g to an enemy. Of course your e is not a substitute for the real thing so don't neglect on buying wards.

Yah I know sheen and lich bane are great items I really dont want to use them reason being that the closest target is probably the tank and their rear units are the squishies. I don't want to get cc by the tank and bum rushed after. It's a great item, but just not for my playing style.

Spell vamp is also not a very good idea since you have your shield and you really don't want to be hit by ANYTHING save the koggy and Xerath ultimates. (which you should know how to dogde)