Input on new champion choice: Fiora or riven

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LucifronSun

08-17-2012

Hello fellow dominion players! I've decided and save up 6300 IP and buy a new champion, and I'm looking at either fiora or riven for dominion exclusively. I chose these two because I generally enjoy close range heroes and they seem to be very good from what I've seen/heard.

Sadly, I haven't had the opportunity to play either of them yet, and I don't think they'll be getting a free week by the time I get 6300. So here I am asking you guys, if anyone plays them or has experience, could you share:

- Pros and cons
- Who is more fun?
- Who benefits the team more?
- Who would you rather have on your team?

Thanks in advance for the help, it's much appreciated!

P.S As a quick note, please don't respond with "Go with whatever you enjoy" or "Go with what you feel like". I understand your trying to help, but if I knew what I liked best or what I felt was good for me, I wouldn't be asking here.

HaIfhearted

08-17-2012

Well, fun is extremely subjective.
I can't tell you which champion you will have more help with.

But I personally think Riven is stronger at higher levels of play due to her caster-like nature, higher resistance to cc, AoE damage, and good AoE cc.

I haven't seen any Fioras in the weekly tourney, but I have seen Talith's Riven, and Talith's Riven is kind of powerful.

LucifronSun

08-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaIfhearted View Post
Well, fun is extremely subjective.
I can't tell you which champion you will have more help with.

But I personally think Riven is stronger at higher levels of play due to her caster-like nature, higher resistance to cc, AoE damage, and good AoE cc.

I haven't seen any Fioras in the weekly tourney, but I have seen Talith's Riven, and Talith's Riven is kind of powerful.
Alright, thanks for the help dude! By fun I sorta meant if it was an enjoyable experience playing with the champ, win or lose, good or bad, and I like fun champs in that regard.

I've heard riven is very powerful, but a bit difficult to play correctly, does this have any merit? She looks like a solid champ just from her abilities, and I've generally seen rivens do good.

But just about every **** fiora I've seen so far however has done extremely well, often going positive by at least 6 kills and just dominating the game overall. This is probably player skill however, so I'm unsure of what to think of her.

A12MO12

08-18-2012

fiora is easy to play but to do dmg she has to build mostly glass.

Riven is a bit harder then fiora but if played well, she brings more to the table in terms of cc and damage to more targets at the same time. (her q, ult and stun hit multiple while only fiora's ult hits multiple)

Ragnaarock

08-18-2012

I find Fiora more fun to play, but I know Riven is much stronger is more situations. Fiora can get shut down by cc since she mostly builds glass with maybe a Frozen mallet whereas Riven can build tanky and still deal "tons of damage"
Also fiora has no cc so your team picks will need to have good cc to synergize with Fiora whereas riven can pretty much be a part of any comp.

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-18-2012

I'd say Riven i have barely played her but i can give you her pros and cons
Pros: great Burst damage with her ultimate
-She's an Ad caster, nobody can describe why but Ad casters are some of the strongest dominion champions
-Not so easy or obvious to counter
- Almost immune to Slows and snares thanks to her kit moving her around anyways
-AoE stun, which is great for bushwhacking
-Decent mobility later in the game
-Tanky even when building for damage

Cons: she's sort of kitable early game, this dissapears over the levels but it'sstill a con
-not so easy to pick up and play, (sometimes you will hit your third Q on the opposite direction when you first pick her up)
-literally 0 poke

i have a little more experience with Fiora since i play her here but i'd recommend against her

Pros:Pubstomper(it's alo a con but i'll explain it later)
-Ridicolous burst damage
-Really sticky, it's actually hard escaping from her at later levels
-Easy to play, and i mean really easy
- free attack damage

Cons
-pubstomper: she can be really good at low elos but she's easily counterable and higher level play
- tremendously Buggy ultimate, sometimes you can be right next to a champion with no cc and for some odd reason your ultimate will never go off
_ way too many things cancel your ultimate and put it on cd, good examples are when you ulti a fizz and he troll poles or when you ult someone and he just goes into a brush cutting vision and thus cancels your ultimate
-Way too ulti dependant, which is really bad considering how buggy the thing is.
-Thornmail and malphite haunt your nightmares
-Teemo and heimer can leave you at literally 0dps specially if both are together (trust me i have ran into this combo twice while playing FIora and doing 0 damage wasn't pretty
-Needs way too many stats to be effective Cdr, Hp, attack damage, arpen, and lifesteal, crit chance is also important, which means it is really expensive to get her going, differently to say Jax which only needs a triforce or Derpius who Only needs a phage (yes Derpius is that redonkolous here).
-if you really want to burst people down you need to build glass cannon and that leaves you very vulnerable to bursting down on teamfights or skirmishes
-No escape mechanism., Her ultimate takes her to her original target so anyone that knows it can leave you right on the dead cente rof the enemy team.

Overall Fiora is more fun to play but more prone to encounter really frustrating situations so i'd recommend you to buy and learn Riven even though she's harder to play and needs a little patience.

edit1: i am currently uploading a video about Fiora so that i can showcase my points please notice that on this video everyone built thornmail so i didn't do anything late game and also that Talon's ultimate cancelled mine.
edit2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn9vc0_Vl8g sorry for the lateness i was forced to go to a little cousin's fifth birthday and my computer eneter suspension state so i had to repupload everything

Slivyrr

08-18-2012

Solo queue unranked blind pick: Fiora, because most of the time the enemy team won't be trying to counter you. Most people build damage here so it's not too big a deal as you'll probably win most fights.

Any other mode, Riven.

Phourc

08-18-2012

Fiora's pretty fun but doesn't get to ult much on this map - she's pretty much the only melee carry that can, ya know, actually carry pretty well though you'll have to play a little cautious-er than you would on the Rift as carries don't get that big of a gold lead. ):

Riven is just Irelia levels of hard to stop, always a solid pick though she fulfills the 'bruiser' role and really I never have a hard time getting people to run those xP

HaIfhearted

08-18-2012

Fiora is basically AD Yi 2.0.
If you are at a level of play where AD Yi works extremely well, Fiora will probably work better.

Higher up the ladder where people know how to focus and cc dangerous enemies, she starts to fall off as she will start getting gibbed extremely quickly in fights.

Riven doesn't suffer as much from that problem, because she is able to front-load a large portion of her damage through spell-casts and a few empowered auto-attacks, instead of relying on a continuous stream of uninterrupted autos like Fiora does.

Painkillar

08-18-2012

Fiora, because she has an accent.