Why am I being matched up against 30s?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doctor Riptide

08-22-2012

As an up and coming summoner, I'm still very much learning the game as I progress to level 30 wherein I can really start learning of the frustrations of ranked games. One thing I'm absolutely sick of, as a level 25 summoner with 120 wins, is queing up in normal games only to be matched up against level 30s with 1000+ wins. Needless to say, a lot of times I end up getting stomped, which kinda makes playing and learning the game a little difficult (not to mention leveling to 30, since a loss gives less xp than a win).

So why is it that I am constantly being pitted against players that clearly outskill myself and my whole team? Aren't there like 30 million players in the world, is there no one else to get matched up with that low level summoners have to get destroyed constantly by more experienced summoners?

I apologize for the QQ, it's just incredibly frustrating queing up by myself and, after losing in less than 20 minutes, seeing my opponents far out level me.

ragnaraq

08-22-2012

This happens to many people. I'm just glad it didn't happen to me. But, if this persists, you can just get better with the highest level of difficulty in bot games, and when that gets way too easy, try doing normal again. I wouldn't know if that worked well or not... but just trying to give suggestions. Also you could Queue up with friends.

KaltraX

08-22-2012

I leveled playing with my friends that were 30s and when we started playing other 30s it helped me get better. You learn more from a loss than a win. Just stay positive and look at what the 30s did. And emulate them and you will be better.

AskKarthus

08-22-2012

The reason why you are placed with 30s is because you have a similar amount of win to them. Matchmaking isn't by level, its by number of wins. My main had about 130 wins when it got lv 30, so its feasible that you could be matched with another 30 that just made it.

AlphariusRising

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskKarthus View Post
The reason why you are placed with 30s is because you have a similar amount of win to them. Matchmaking isn't by level, its by number of wins. My main had about 130 wins when it got lv 30, so its feasible that you could be matched with another 30 that just made it.
It's actually by hidden elo.

SpicyLeaves

08-22-2012

Are you soloqueueing with people around your level? When I played league at around level 20-25 I was queueing with my friends who had played many more games than me. They were all level 30. I fed the enemy team usually, but I got better.

maximumboss

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphariusRising View Post
It's actually by hidden elo.
Yes. It's not based on a total number of wins but rather a ratio for how often you win over losing. Not only that but it estimates roughly where your skill is at. You are fighting level 30s with thousands of wins because you have won games against players of relatively equal caliber to those you are fighting now. The obvious flaw is that you can always beat great players if they have bad games so occasionally you will be mismatched against players who are on average more experienced/skilled. Just keep playing and your hidden elo should level out to where your appropriate skill division is at.