[Guide] Heimerdinger - A Guide to Using The Spanner

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

11-12-2009

A Guide to Heimerdinger

Intro
This guide has mostly been updated to the latest .112 patch, but there may still be pockets of outdated information. Heimerdinger is a great pusher and support hero. With his turrets he offers a very unique play style from any other hero on the board and played right, can be a great asset to the team.

=================================
Basics - Skills

Abilities
Q: http://leaguecraft.com/spell/H-28G%20Evolution%20Turret – Heimerdinger constructs a Machine Gun Turret with (260 + 15 x Lvl) health and 30/36/44/52/62 (+0.25 per ability power) damage. Max: 2. Each level of the turret ability adds a slight upgrade, Level 1 - Places 1 standard turret, Level 2 - Places 1 Green armor piercing turret, Level 3 - Places up to 2 Green turrets, Level 4 - Places up to 2 Green turrets with +150 hp, Level 5 - Places up to 2 Red AP and Area Effect turrets.

About – Turrets are Heimerdinger’s defining characteristic. They provide the majority of his damage, act as rooted pets and can make a huge difference in pushing, defending and covering when you have to return to base. If Heimerdinger dies, all of his current turrets are destroyed and if you place more than your allotted amount of turrets, the oldest turret is destroyed. The turrets are now on an ammo system, similar to Teemo's mushrooms which means you can strategically save up turrets to be placed down in a teamfight or an emergency, or you can build up backup turrets for when your originals go down.

W: http://leaguecraft.com/spell/Hextech%20Micro-Rockets – Heimerdinger fires 3 enemy seeking Micro Rockets, hitting targets nearest to him. Each rocket deals 85/135/185/235/285 (+.55 per ability power) magic damage.

About – Hextech rockets are instant click with no targeting required, fairly cheap mana wise and long ranged (1,000) with a reduced cooldown, which makes them ok for farming and still decent if you catch enemy heroes away from minions (in the river, jungling, etc.). Strategically, they can be used to harass for additional damage when you've brought the enemy's minion wave to 2 or less mobs or as a luck kill for a fleeing champion when you're surrounded by other minions. When the Upgrade! ultimate is active, rockets hit 5 targets instead of 3.

E: http://leaguecraft.com/spell/CH-1%20...sion%20Grenade – Heimerdinger lobs a grenade dealing 80/135/190/245/300 (+0.7 ability power) magic damage to enemy units, towers and turrets as well as stunning anyone directly hit for 1/1.5/2/2.5/3 seconds.

About – Concussion Grenades are fitting along with Heimerdinger’s style as a pusher. When cast, they move piteously slow allowing enemy heroes to easily dodge both the grenade and it’s radius. However, the grenades to decent area effect damage with stun that allows you to take down minions and throw in some added damage on towers at range. Against enemy heroes, they are primarily useful in three situations. 1) In group battles when people are massed and too fully engaged to run away. 2) On an enemy melee hero attacking a tower or turret to get them to move back or stun them if they’re staying for the kill. 3) As a tactical retreat device, if running from enemy heroes, the slow speed of the grenade can actually be used to your benefit by quickly firing it behind you in the run path that your pursuers have no choice but to run through.

R: http://leaguecraft.com/spell/UPGRADE%21%21%21 – Passively increases cooldown reduction by %10/15/20. On activation fully heals an Evolution Turret and causes all your turrets to fire frost snaring (20/25/30%) shots for 10 seconds. Also causes you to fire 5 mini rockets for the duration and increases the travel speed of the Conc grenade.

About – This skill has been significantly altered. The frost snaring effect on the turrets is only semi useful but the instant heal can really help keep your towers up, especially against AE damage. The cooldown on this skill is decently low, and the passive is still great as a pseudo replacement that allows you to pick different runes, masteries and items. As of patch .109, the activatable for this skill also increases Rockets to 5 (from 3) and increases the missile speed of your Grenade.

Passive: http://leaguecraft.com/spell/Techmat...0Repair%20Bots – Gives nearby allies and turrets 6/12/16/22 health regen per 5 seconds.

About – Regen is snazzy, stay close to your turrets when possible and allies when possible too. It’ll help to keep you in your lane, especially early when coupled with a healing pot, but other than that, it's a pretty weak passive.

Basics - Character

Base Statistics
Health: 420 Start (+72 per level)
Mana: 305 Start (+65 per level)
Movespeed: 300
Armor: 10 (+3 per level)
Spellresist: 30
Critical Strike: 1 (+0.4 per level)
Health Regen: 0 (+0.2 per level)
Mana Regen: 0 (+0.2 per level)
Attack Range: 550

Builds

Ability Path
The build listed below is best used for pushing. It maximizes your turret use and gives you the most bang for the buck pushing towers and minions. It won’t give you hero kills. My preferred build (although probably not as useful as the one below) is to just get one level of Conc Grenade and replace the others with Micro Rockets. Micro Rockets while never powerful akin to Veigar or Ryze nukes, scale damage pretty rapidly and can be great for getting that <1 hp bar kill on fleeing champions. The Left Build is a Turret Focus the Right Build is a Rocket Focus.

• 1. Evolution Turret ------- 1. Evolution Turret
  • 2. Conc Grenade --------- 2. Conc Grenade
  • 3. Evolution Turret ------- 3. Rocket
  • 4. Conc Grenade --------- 4. Conc Grenade
  • 5. Evolution Turret ------- 5. Rocket
  • 6. Upgrade --------------- 6. Upgrade
  • 7. Evolution Turret ------- 7. Conc Grenade
  • 8. Evolution Turret ------- 8. Rocket
  • 9. Conc Grenade --------- 9. Rocket
  • 10. Conc Grenade -------- 10. Rocket
  • 11. Upgrade -------------- 11. Upgrade
  • 12. Conc Grenade -------- 12. Conc Grenade
  • 13. Rocket ---------------- 13. Conc Grenade
  • 14. Rocket ---------------- 14. Evolution Turret
  • 15. Rocket ---------------- 15. Evolution Turret
  • 16. Upgrade -------------- 16. Upgrade
  • 17. Rocket ---------------- 17. Evolution Turret
  • 18. Rocket ---------------- 18. Evolution Turret
Items
There are two primary paths you can run for Heim, AP builds and Survivability builds. This guide focuses more on being a pusher with Heim so this item section will focus mostly on AP. AP builds can help push since turret damage scales somewhat with AP, and it’s certainly more fun for slightly more effective grenades and rockets that do a little more damage than people would expect, but for the average player, a survivability build may be more effective

http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Heime...2f37c47f93dfbf

1. If you're focusing on turrets, start out building a mana manipulator or tear. If you're soloing mid, start out with a catalyst.
2. Go for boots early on, wiping out any magic resistance is going to be more effective than AP increases at low levels.
3. Finish your Innervating Locket early if you're focusing on turrets, if not, you may want to build your Rylai's Scepter and Zhonya's before moving on to finish Archangels and Innervating.
4. The 6th item is situational. Abyssal Scepter gives you some needed Magic Resist while adding nice AP and Magic Reduction. If you've got a lot of game time left and are doing well on the ganks, Rod of Ages or Mejai's Soulstealer would also be good AP options. Lich Bane adds nice AP/Mana and movespeed to get away plus makes your next auto attack deal 500+ damage, or Banshee's Veil can add some nice surivability.

Masteries
Max out your offensives. Anything left can go either into defensives, Mana/Recall in Utility, or if you use other Summoner Spells grab the SS buff for whatever you use.

Runes
Heim didn’t spend a whole lot of time in beta before runes got nixed, so going to wait on this section for now. Basically though, cooldown reductions, mana regen and hp would still be the focuses.

Summoner Abilities
At least one person on your team should have Fortify, it can be game saving and if nothing else is a nice way to say “hey screw off my tower” to the other team. Heim isn’t really a front line hero and as such doesn’t necessarily need to have summoner escapes available and is a good person to take fortify. Flash and Ghost are good escapes, if you don’t need to take fortify. Teleport and Cleanse are useful skills to have, teleport just lets you lane faster or portal to save a push from a minion wave and cleanse might save your butt if you’re 1v1 or 1v2 against a disabler, although I would say it’s more limited than Flash or Ghost. Everything else is pretty much a wash.

Tactics

Turret Placement
Turret placement is Heim, bad turret placement means you’re doing less damage, burning mana replacing towers and generally just being ineffective. At the most basic, you want to keep your towers close together. Especially at the start of the game when they are beefier than the opposing teams abilities and damage, it’s a great way to add a little bit of force. If you’re facing a whole lot of AE’s (Nasus, Morgana, etc.) as the game progresses you’ll want to start spreading out your turrets in a way that they can fire on the same target but not be in the same radius of the AE attack. Some basic formations are:

Laning
PUSH! A lot of Heim players feel the need to turtle next to a tower. Certainly in conjunction with towers and turrets you can make a decent fort, but you can also do that with cardboard boxes (which if you’re going to sit back and basically make your team run 4v5 is really what you should be playing with instead anyway). Your Conc grenades do AE damage and temporarily halt minion attacks allowing you to build up a wave. When you get to a tower you can throw up turrets and fire your range attack and Conc grenade again allowing you to do some decent damage even early in the game. If you’ve got the movement speed and mana pool, you can even set up forward observation posts in more than one lane allowing a solo or even a duo to have a safe place to fall back to in front of your towers.

Ganking
Ganking with Heim is pretty much a group effort. Without burst DPS you really can’t blow heroes away. Early game you can get lucky with good turret placement or a dull enemy who stands there wondering what the humming ball of electricity slowly making it’s way towards them is for, but for the most part, you are there as an assist and you need other champions to get kills. Tall Grass is your friend here. Set up multi turret ambushes in the enemy forest, or along the grass lanes. Ally with Singe, Tristana or Blitz for someone that can use your turrets like Towers for added damage. Watch for heroes that run away at low health or think they’re safe behind a tower and fire off some rockets.

A Survivable Heim with a decent hp pool and armor or magic resist tailored to the enemy team can even be a decent ganker despite the lack of burst dps. As long as you stay with your towers, a well played heim can even 1v1 heroes that normally terrorize solo like Ryze. That said, don’t try to take someone late game who has decent lifesteal (Warwick, well itemed Twitch, etc.) since you can’t do burst dps a large hp pool just acts as a font of healing for them while they continue to beat you senseless until your towers explode along with your newly decaying corpse.

Pushing
Pushing is essential to playing a good Heimer. Whether your survivable allowing you to hang around the fight and throw in a bit of extra damage and stuns or AP allowing your turrets to hit like small trucks, you can build an effective fallback point for your team.

Ideally, you and your turrets will be able to push all the way to their base on the middle lane allowing your team a DPS fallback point to regroup and heal while maintaining a push, or allow you to hold the lane solo while your teammates push a 2nd lane.

Game Strategy

Early Game
Get towers down as soon as possible, they’re added damage that the enemy doesn’t have (unless they also have Heim, and then…well… just be better). Utilize the Tall Grass to keep your turrets stealthed and protected. Do not put one tower by itself in the middle of the lane, it’s going to get killed and you just wasted mana. If you’ve got Conc Grenade, save it to protect your towers, it doesn’t do enough damage now to push creeps anyway. Keep last hitting with your range. If you’ve got Rockets, harass with your range attack and fire when they start to run.

Mid Game
You’ve got more turrets now, start watching out for AE attacks and monitoring your turret placement even harder. If you’re trying to gank or protect against ganks, keep your turrets in the Tall Grass far enough back from the minions so they don’t auto attack and reveal themselves. Upgrade your newest turrets and hopefully your mana pool is big enough now that you don’t have to worry about dumping old turrets in favor of new pushing turrets. If you’re laning with a partner and they get a stun or a snare off on an attack, try to drop a turret in between the enemy hero and their tower, you’ll get more hits in and it’s kinda scary (kinda). Start using Conc Grenades to push lanes and last hit. Your Rockets if you have them now, are most effective at this point. If you have a solo hero running or hiding, fire them off, they’re cheap and do decent damage. If they have AE heroes, make sure you’re using turret formations that are a little more spread out, if not, focus up.

Late Game
You should have enough mana and cooldown to regularly push and upgrade your turrets. Your Conc Grenades should pretty much be able to stop a minion push by now. Generally at this point your team should be running around together to gank and protect from ganks. You need to stay near the back of this group. Team battles should hopefully be taking place near your turrets. If not, make sure you try to set something up and communicate to your team about the effectiveness of fighting with turrets. Fire your Conc Grenade from the rear lines once people are engaged, target casters with your stuns, keep firing off your rockets on the runners, but they aren’t as effective at this point. You want to keep upgrading your turrets as fast as possible if you are creating gank points, but the enemy wises up pretty fast so you’ll have to continually move them around to stay effective. Alternatively, you can also set them up throughout the enemy forest as warning beacons akin to Teemo mushrooms (note do not do this if you have Teemo, if you need that explained, check out The Idiots Guide to Life, ISBN 0-4637-6298-x). Your primary focus at this point is getting towers in the right spot, and then not dying.

Other Heimerdinger Threads

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=28809

Yeorwned

11-12-2009

There's a typo in there~ his name is Captain Hamburger!

noodl3s

11-12-2009

Awesome Heim guide! Very good coverage of all aspects!

Treefort

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2009

What do you think of this build? http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Heimerdinger/65,76,82,70,44,52

Both the items and the order of the items.

I played with a build similar to this last time I played (Finally breaking of a losing streak of 7 games ) and I found the +110 armor from the frozen heart made me VERY hard to kill even with 2-3 enemy champs focused on me lategame.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

11-12-2009

I had no idea you could use leaguecraft to actually send out builds, that's really cool.

Grats on the win too!

As for that build, if you can win regularly with something, ignore what everyone is saying and go with what works for you, everyone has different play styles. That said, here's a couple of observations.

When I first started playing, I used to go for the gold items all the time, it was all "hey free money, cool" but if you really get down and do the math, something like the philosopher's stone takes 37 minutes to make back the cash that you spend. (1115gold/5 gold = 223 * 10 seconds = 2223 seconds / 60 secs = about 37 minutes) The other stats are great for Heim and really using that same money to get the boots earlier will do a lot to your suvivability.

Soul Shroud and Frozen Heart are great items, but they have some pretty expensive components and cooldown doesn't do as much for you early on. You're better off starting the build of your Archangel's staff so you can max the mana pool bonus and then later building to Glacial Shroud -> Frozen Heart and Soul Shroud.

I would also think about getting a Rod of Ages/Banshee Veil/Innervating Locket, instead of Nashor's Tooth. The reason being increased attack speed for Heim is really going to do very little and the game has a hard cap on Cooldown Reduction at 40%. With Soul Shroud's 15% and Frozen Heart's 25% you're already there, so you really only get the AP and mana regen from that item.

Hope that helps!

Treefort

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2009

Thanks for the feedback!

Firstly, I meant to send out a build that had Innervating Locket in lieu of the Archangel's Staff, but I copied the wrong build. I also had no idea that there was a cap on cooldown, that is very helpful - I'll swap out Nashor's with something else.

The Philosopher's Stone wasn't purchased with the gold in mind - It's just that I bought a Meki Pendent at the beginning of the game for the mana regen (To be able to use the conc grenade more often) early game and it just seemed logical to upgrade to the philosophers. I didn't look too much, is there something that gives better mana regen that is built from the Meki?

I also forgot to mention that this build was made as I was playing - I had read your guide and wanted to try out some survivability and pushing tactics instead of being borderline useless defense like I see Heim played so often. The items were all bought really quickly and without much thought in mind because I didn't want to waste time picking out items - But it turned out great! It also helped I was soloing vs 2 and I got a kill early game, so the added gold was such a boost.

I'll tweak the build a bit and experiment in-game a bit more and keep you updated on my results. Thanks for the advice!

Purutzil

11-12-2009

I must say good guide. I'm always AP myself finding heimer to be rather good at surviving even without building for survivability with turrets around.

None the less good guide. As soon as a looked at your guide and saw skill selection with the grenade over missile I instantly knew this guide was pretty well planned out. To many noobs go for missiles which aren't worth it until later on.

Treefort

11-12-2009

So I just won another game with this intended build: http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Heime...76,70,82,52,61

In this order:
Tear of the Goddess
Glacial Shroud
Glacial Shroud -> Frozen Heart
Mercury Treads
Soul Shroud
Tear of the Goddess -> Archangel's Staff
Innervating Locket
Warmog's Armor OR Sunfire Cape

It worked pretty well - I wasn't doing quite as well because I wasn't soloing, but it was a good build and I got a lot of assists (A lot of deaths too, they seemed to like to gank me). I only got as far as the Soul Shroud because we won pretty quick, I had enough for the Archangel's though.

For summoner spells I used Teleport and Clarity - I usually use Heal instead of Clarity, but since I chew up so much mana I thought I'd stick with Clarity. It helped, but there were times when I wished I had heal .

edit: I might also add, I had more health and armor than a Cho'Gath of the same level. (Not a good Cho'Gath obviously, but still it felt awesome)

Purutzil

11-12-2009

It looks pretty nice from what I see. I'm not to much for going support items going pure AP though I'm tempted to go for Frozen heart though with the Magic buff (I usually go for it) I tend to see it being less worthy since CDs are restricted to 40%. None the less it still can be real beneficial and gives a nice survivability boost though honestly armor is the least of my worries on heimer.

I just think that Rod of Ages would preform well as a supliment to add durability and power. If I'd dip anywhere, I would dip in for magic resist, the turrets worst enemy.

Edit: Further looking at your items, I think that your actually over the CD cap. Unless the cap was changed your actually over-killing the CD limit.

Calculating in the numbers lets first consider the fact that his ult gives a passive reduction. Once that is added in let us make the assumption that a 9/0/21 build is being used for optimal performance.

Upgrade Passive CD: 20%
9/0/21 total passive CD: 9%
Total CD Reduction without Items: 29%
% left until CD cap: 11%

That leads to a total passive reduction of 29% without the use of items. That leaves only a small gap of 11% CD reduction that is needed for the character to achieve Cool Down Cap. In such a case going through your items you surpass the cap greatly. Assuming your considering upgrade max level and masteries placed in.

Frozen Heart: 25%
Soul Shroud: 15%
Upgrade Passive and Masteries: 29%
Total: 69%

That is a whole 29% over the cap going to waste. Swapping out the frozen heart would be your best bet with perhaps being more defensive as you like for surviability with a rod of ages for the more health and mana or Abyssal Scepter for Magic Resist and SP. Another good thing would be to get the Aegis of the Legion for its passive benefits that can be an aid to allies if you do push with a team. If you really want to hit the cap then go for the Codex (upgrade to Nashar's once you have got all the items you need) or aim for Spirit Visage for added MR and HP regen, only 1% over cap with max level upgrade and cheap to get.

Abyssal Scepter: +70 Ability Power +60 Magic Resistance UNIQUE Aura: Reduces the Magic Resist of nearby enemy champions by 20.
Rod of Ages:+425 Health +425 Mana +50 Ability Power Passive: Your Champion gains 20 Health, 20 Mana, and 2 Ability Power every 1 min. Bonuses cap at +300 Health, +300 Mana, and +30 Ability Power
(Total: +725 HP + 725 MP + 80 AP)
Aegis of the Legion: +285 Health UNIQUE Aura: +35 Armor / +40 Magic Resistance / +8 Damage to nearby allied champions.
Spirit Visage: +35 Magic Resistance +25 Health Regen per 5 sec UNIQUE Passive: Reduces ability cooldowns by 12%

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

11-16-2009

This came up in one of the other guides, but another great item to consider is Rylai's Scepter. I use scepter when going rocket build over grenade build. It's got decent stats on it, but the crowning jewel is that at max rocket, all 5 rockets apply the Rylai's snare proc which can slow enemies down for a fairly decent period of time, especially when they all hit the same enemy champ.