Guild Wars 2

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Meta

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2010

Alright, so I'm going to preface this by saying that the last MMO I seriously played was WoW, and I quit about 2 1/2 years ago.

I've just recently been starting to keep an eye on Guild Wars 2. The graphics, design concepts (events), and design philosophies (less grind, more fun) really intrigue me. I briefly tried Aion and the boring quests and slow leveling got to me very quickly, and I didn't even get to what players consider "really grindy".

Anyways, before I fall head-over-heels for this game before I even try it, I'm just wondering if anyone else has any additional insight/concerns. I think the even system looks really cool, but I thought the same thing about the public quest system in Warhammer Online (which I also tried very briefly) which was a flop imo.

So yeah, any opinions on Guild Wars 2 out there? I'm intrigued, but skeptical

newCreation

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2010

I want to be excited about this game, but also I am alittle apprenhensive due to there be no real "roles" in this game. Many of us MMO-gamers are accustomed to these roles of DPS, Tank, Mage/Caster, Healer, etc. I am afraid to see what I saw in the first one, too many Warriors saying "I got healz" and they too busy tanking and healing themselves they forget about the Sorc/Ment over there getting chopped up.

Unless they are aiming more towards; today you can play a tank, next fight you can play a healer, next fight you can play a caster, and next you can be DPS approach. That will work, like picking your deck of cards to play in TCGs. I do like the random events like they did in Warhammer Online. I just hate the instance ****. I remember back in Dark Age of Camelot or Everquest when you were just out in the woods grinding, or in a dungeon and then a group rolls up with one-two slots and its like, "hey! whats up!" Then the night gets going!!!

Those days are gone in the new genre of MMOs coming out, they are tailoring to the emo, anti-socialites, play with yourself like you did when you had a Playstation with a powertap adapter for four-player action in '97.

You make games for multiplayer on the net just to find ways to only play with yourself, such a waste.

Meta

09-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by newCreation View Post
I want to be excited about this game, but also I am alittle apprenhensive due to there be no real "roles" in this game. Many of us MMO-gamers are accustomed to these roles of DPS, Tank, Mage/Caster, Healer, etc. I am afraid to see what I saw in the first one, too many Warriors saying "I got healz" and they too busy tanking and healing themselves they forget about the Sorc/Ment over there getting chopped up.
I think the idea is that everyone will be able to heal themselves. I'm assuming there will still be roles to play, but that you'll be less dependent on specific archetypes. I'm not sure how it will all play out though.

Quote:
I do like the random events like they did in Warhammer Online.
Events in Warhammer Online were far from random. PQs were boring as hell.

Quote:
I just hate the instance ****. I remember back in Dark Age of Camelot or Everquest when you were just out in the woods grinding, or in a dungeon and then a group rolls up with one-two slots and its like, "hey! whats up!" Then the night gets going!!!
I agree to an extent, but I also enjoy having the option to do things by myself. My understanding is that events will scale with the number of participants, so hopefully if that works out well for everyone.