Riot - 3D Character Art by Sam Yang (cgsammu)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cgsammu

Character Artist

12-20-2012
6 of 56 Riot Posts

ahahahaa you'll be surprised

PlayedSun

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

That's awesome to hear because I'm still at a stage where I'm not sure if I like the process of animating better than modeling and texturing and all that other stuff, or vice-versa, so I'm still just trying to figure out what I really want to be doing.

And I have one last question (general question that is. I could go on for hours asking about specific stuff that I'm curious about, but those are more technique based things that I'll learn in time with more practice) when creating a model, what are you given to begin with. I'm curious as to the art assets they provide you with, or if you come up with those while you're making the model yourself. So for example Zyra. Were you told to specifically make her like that, or do they say, "hey here's the basis of the champion, what she can do, etc. now have at it!" Or is it a more of a bounce ideas off each other while making the model and see how it goes kind of thing.

I'm curious as to how much input you have on her look, or if you're just the guy who is told the recipe and goes and bakes the cake exactly to that recipe.

Valexi

12-20-2012

Hey Sam! You are awesome and should feel awesome.

Bumpin' yo thread

Honda Futayo

12-20-2012

Chibi Ahri with adult face is kinda scary lol.

Master Anubis

12-20-2012

RENEKTON NOW!!!! k thx love you long time

cgsammu

Character Artist

12-20-2012
7 of 56 Riot Posts

It really depends I guesss...but I enjoy working in both conditions!

Getting a concept finalized by the concept artist and then handed to you definitely helps speed up the work flow since you don't need to explore ideas and all that right?

But when your given the creative freedom to go "all out" with your imagination, is also very fun! ahahah but the problem with that is, not everyone is on the same page as you..so you'll have to expect changes in the design and the iteration/polish process will take slightly longer to finish..

Also, our job as a 3D Artist here at Riot is to make sure we deliver high quality champions, and maintaining that stylized League of Legends look.
Making sure the art reads well at game-distance is very important to us =)
Like, we could add ALL the crazy detail we wanted and every single metal bolt/stitch in the outfit....but in the end, from far away - its gotta look clean and readable =)

cgsammu

Character Artist

01-22-2013
8 of 56 Riot Posts

Hey everybody, after modelling chibi Ahri, thought I do a reverse chibi..which is basically taking something cute and making it more realistic! ahahah anyways this is my personal approach of what Titan Ziggs might look like..XD

Zerglinator

01-22-2013

Holee Riot pls.

Riot Uracan

Player Support Manager - Latin America

01-22-2013
9 of 56 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsammu View Post
Hey everybody, after modelling chibi Ahri, thought I do a reverse chibi..which is basically taking something cute and making it more realistic! ahahah anyways this is my personal approach of what Titan Ziggs might look like..XD
heh needs to keep the same laugh and voice tone /agility for some truly hilarious animations.

Truly the face of nightmares!!!

Moffa

01-22-2013

i am never going to look at ziggs the same way again...