Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Who counters Anivia?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xobx

08-17-2012

High mobility sums it up. All you have to do is dodge her SKILL**** stun, because all her moves pretty much follow up with that initial stun. Fizz is obviously good for that. Ahri, etc..

Jmaf

08-18-2012

Quote:
Xobx:
High mobility sums it up. All you have to do is dodge her SKILL**** stun, because all her moves pretty much follow up with that initial stun. Fizz is obviously good for that. Ahri, etc..

Well your more worried about her e which is where the majority of her damage comes from. Play against her like urgot you get frozen back off..

Dragor480

08-18-2012

Fizz, Kassadin, Talon, Etc. This is coming from an anivia main.

Nishaven90

08-20-2012

Kassadin.

PuffPuffPanda

Recruiter

08-20-2012

Urgot. Anivia has low move speed, so you can keep hitting for a while when she backs off. You can also ult to move her/ the egg away from the tower.

LosPegasus

08-20-2012

Anivia. As people have mentioned before:

Fizz: Can very easily escape her Q initiate or ult. Has gap-closer. As Anivia, I mostly just have to play passive. Harass with AA early levels. Save my stun for when Fizz hard engages.

LeBlanc: Good harass and mobility + being able to dodge her stuff. You just need to beware that Anivia can push like crazy with her ult post-6 (and push decently even with her Q pre-6) and LB can't really farm well under tower.

Kassadin: I don't think Kass counters Aniv as hard. Pre-6 he can't do much besides the orb harass. As Anivia I'll just AA and Q-E the heck out of him pre-6. Post 6 Anivia has her ult and can play nearer her turret while still wiping out creeps, so it's less likely you'll get caught out of position and get chased by Kass Riftwalk.

Talon: same category as Fizz. Again, Anivia will just have to play passive and not throw out spells willy-nilly.

Katarina: more or less same as Talon.

Basically, against Anivia, you need to get past her "zone" and use a character that can engage well at closer quarters. The main thing to remember is that Aniv's AA range is quite long, plus she can always farm well due to the ult even if she's denied a lot of CS pre-6. Hence, you don't necessarily have to counter her by killing her outright. Having a character (even Ahri for example) that can easily roam in a sense "counters" Anivia because Anivia can't roam as well and is much more susceptible to getting caught if she does.

Dante49

08-22-2012

Quote:
LosPegasus:
Anivia. As people have mentioned before:

Fizz: Can very easily escape her Q initiate or ult. Has gap-closer. As Anivia, I mostly just have to play passive. Harass with AA early levels. Save my stun for when Fizz hard engages.

LeBlanc: Good harass and mobility + being able to dodge her stuff. You just need to beware that Anivia can push like crazy with her ult post-6 (and push decently even with her Q pre-6) and LB can't really farm well under tower.

Kassadin: I don't think Kass counters Aniv as hard. Pre-6 he can't do much besides the orb harass. As Anivia I'll just AA and Q-E the heck out of him pre-6. Post 6 Anivia has her ult and can play nearer her turret while still wiping out creeps, so it's less likely you'll get caught out of position and get chased by Kass Riftwalk.

Talon: same category as Fizz. Again, Anivia will just have to play passive and not throw out spells willy-nilly.

Katarina: more or less same as Talon.

Basically, against Anivia, you need to get past her "zone" and use a character that can engage well at closer quarters. The main thing to remember is that Aniv's AA range is quite long, plus she can always farm well due to the ult even if she's denied a lot of CS pre-6. Hence, you don't necessarily have to counter her by killing her outright. Having a character (even Ahri for example) that can easily roam in a sense "counters" Anivia because Anivia can't roam as well and is much more susceptible to getting caught if she does.

The thing is that I feel a lot of people when assessing whether Anivia is countered by a character are assuming that Anivia doesn't know how to play to the high end of Anivia play. Most Anivia's will lose a lot until they reach full understanding of their character. But, once they reach that understanding there is very little that actually counters Anivia.

I consider "Countering" to mean that regardless of how well the character is played, they will inevitably lose the matchup. However, I feel that there are very few (if any) characters that could accurately be described as counters to Anivia.

Fizz: Fizz has a large advantage over Anivia, but a smart Anivia will go MS quints, with MR everything else. Level 1-2 Anivia has the advantage over Fizz and can use that time to farm at least evenly. Levels 3-5 Fizz has advantage on Anivia, but not large enough to actually kill Anivia without solid jungler ganks. Level 6 on, Anivia can farm at least even but most of the time more than Fizz can farm. Long-term Anivia outfarms this matchup to win, with neither side getting any kills assuming both play well.

Kassadin: Kassadin definitely does not counter Anivia. In fact, Anivia has a large advantage over Kassadin as long as she doesn't get behind (ie. jungler feeds Kass an early blue or something similar). Anivia can AA Kass to death to zone him early and deny him from that point forward. Kass will require jungle ganks to stay in the game. Q-E is easy on Kass pre-6. Post 6, Anivia just pushes and farms without engaging to scale better.

Leblanc: Max MR runes or MS + MR will set you up for a decent matchup against leblanc especially if you rush chalice. Leblanc has the advantage on Anivia but its not a large one. Leblanc cannot farm at all. She needs champion kills to scale, and Anivia can starve her of both kills and farm by pushing quickly and not engagin unless Leblanc over extends. AA to do dmg, and force Leblanc into bad positioning to win the fight.

Talon: Max Armor runes + Cloth + 5 pots to start the game, and talon is now useless. AA him when he tries to farm pre-lvl 6 and do everything possible to deny him. Talon will have to overextend to attack Anivia early, and minions will help Anivia greatly in this fight. Post-lvl 6 Anivia wins this matchup from the early start. This matchup overall is about even if Anivia plays smart and only uses her abilities after Talon commits.

Urgot: Urgot I am convinced counters Anivia really well. He can definitively Zone Anivia and when she tries to farm later in game, a single ult will screw her positioning and disrupt her farming ult. Even great positioning and play by Anivia cannot save her if Urgot plays his matchup just as well. At best she hopes for an early gank or two to keep it ever and let Anivia zone Urgot instead.

Gragas: Gragas only counters Anivia in that he can farm just as well as Anivia and has an advantage over her due to his ult screwing Anivia's positioning and messing up the ult. A smart Anivia though can fight this to a draw, while the Gragas will simply push, then gank if he's smart. This is because he's one of the few that can push as fast as Anivia (once leveled) and Anivia can only marginally get ahead from his pushing.

Vienna

08-22-2012

no one truly counters a good anivia player.

Th3Fr0z3n1

08-23-2012

She has a great range and damage, and the slows make her a pain... but take it from me, i main anivia and out of the 800+ games i have played with her, nothing annoys me more than an enemy getting too close to me... if you wanna counter anivia, jump right on top of her.

Dante49

08-23-2012

Quote:
Vienna:
no one truly counters a good anivia player.

This is essentially my point. Froggen essentially says the same thing. Everyone knows what character he's going to play or tend towards, but they essentially have to cater their whole team to resist him with small advantages to try and win.

Anivia's skill cap is high to reach that point, but once you do you're essentially never going to be shut down. You may get beat in lane once or twice, but overall you'll always be a useful to your team if you know Anivia's in's and outs.

That's why when you see a *Good* Anivia you know it. They usually just dominate, but even when "countered" they still wreck in the game.

Quote:
"She has a great range and damage, and the slows make her a pain... but take it from me, i main anivia and out of the 800+ games i have played with her, nothing annoys me more than an enemy getting too close to me... if you wanna counter anivia, jump right on top of her."

This is essentially it though. Get close to Anivia and you cut her advantage.

Anivia is 100% positioning. If Anivia is able to position correctly there is nothing you can do to stop her. The "counters" to Anivia are those characters which can either disrupt her positioning or nullify it.