League of Legends Champions Retrospective

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

stàr

08-16-2012

really nice and really cool

SmurfX213

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-16-2012

Rio why you not actually care about us? =(

ZSonOfSparta

08-16-2012

So, does anyone else feel like this riot post would be a great place to throw out ideas for more champions? For example, we have nasus and renekton that sort of remind me of egyptian lore, we have olaf which reminds me of the norse lore, we have cassiopia which reminds me of greek lore, but what about other lores that haven't been explored? For example, there are some impressive deities/mythological creatures that come from chinese lore or japanese lore. I think it would be neat if riot explored some of these ideas. and really expand on the great franchise that they already have.

The Sexual Moose

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeopterygida View Post
As good as the character design of League of Legends is, I think it still falls prey to one of the more common fantasy tropes out there - All Humans Are White.

This isn't to say there aren't other cultures in the game's lore that aren't based on European or American styles and vales, but all of the human characters - purely human - have very pale skin, even Karma. And neither are there many champions that are inspired in part by folklore and/or myths not from Western civilizations or the common East Asian cultures readily accepted by the gaming community.

I think it would be very interesting to see the champion designers work with the wealth of non-Western cultures in a way that meshes with the lore of LoL - maybe previously isolated city-states or other island nations wanting to join in the technology and magic races. One that immediately comes to my mind is using the canceled Priscilla, Spider Queen with Anansi, the trickster-teacher god of Ashanti folklore.

First of all Riot has said there is no Races inLeague second of all There are plenty of """non white champions"""though most influenced by Asian themes... guessing because 1# Largest player base is White 2# 2nd largest player base is asian.

Leesin
Akali
Shen(It's a guess but I'm Pretty sure =P)
Taric (original artwork he does not look white
Kharma
Ahri
Irelia
Xin Zhao

Personally what Annoys me more is people act like all the "White" Champions are based off the same Nationality and they are just white and all white people are the same right? o.O

Fiora = France
Caitlyn=British
Lux/Garren/Jayce=American
Sejuani/Tryndamere,Olaf=Nordic

Turtle Tiger

08-16-2012

My only complaint is that I would love to see more Monsters in the game, more Cho, Kog, and Skarnar types. The humanoids look fantastic but there's nothing quite like roaming around in the jungle as a monster

Randell44

08-16-2012

I was expecting some sort of PR spin and damage control after some of the recent discussions on the boards. People being irritated at changes to the point where even the company president got involved to try and curtail it, and having mixed success.

Thus viola, we have a nice fuzzy "we love you and we do all this!!" video to try and stamp out some of the remaining discontent.

The problem is that thematic diversity is not the same as champion diversity. I appreciate that they are putting small twists on existing play styles, but they also completely ignore other playstyles that exist.

Also thematic diversity is not the same as feminine character model diversity. It's nice to see an additional champion that doesn't smother us with her rack, but the face and build is still the same. I'd love to see an actual middle weight or even a heavyset female just to add a champion style that does not exist currently. She could be matronly, buxom, or even straight up Gragas "large".

Additional issues such as the glacially slow IP earning rate and the balancing of the entire game around flash are still prominent for many as well. New comers to the game will have issues ever seeing most of the game without dumping insane amounts of time or money into it.

Who is Sexy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-16-2012

Those splash art look SO GOOD!

Broderbund

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploki122 View Post
*facepalm*

1. Karma is a slender no-boobs and so is Vayne in half her skins... Leona and Kayle are clad in armor, no cleavage there, and little to no boobs... Lulu/Annie/Poppy/Tristana, no (read as -1) sexuality there... The only reason they don't have fat girls is because even the funny fat man isn't selling well... As for the monster, I can't really say if Kog'maw is male or female... it's pretty much an "it", and the reason they're male is because (imo) it is easier to picture monsters as males (not that men are monsters...)

2. No background? Yeah... let's take Katarina as an example, it wasn't said that she was attracted to Garen, they didn't mention any relationship to Cassiopeia or Markus du Couteau. No backstory involving how she failed one of her first missions but atoned for failure and ended up killing the correct target... Honestly it really is too shallow (if you didn't get it yet, it was all sarcasm)

3. That one is true, but for their defense, they have written all of it over 3-4 years, and they've been looking at this problem and fixing it... slowly...

4. Yup, very emberrasing... also, they never acknowledged how they knew they used awesome too much but that it has become a pattern in their offices... /sarcasmagain

P.s. your reply loses even more credibility given the fact you haven't accepted ToS...
I don't think it's even possible to argue that League of Legends as a game is not incredibly sexist. Ashe the frost archer has some skimpy tunic on in an apparent snowstorm, as does Sejuani. I did forget to consider the yordles and I'll concede that point for the most part. However, it is simply inarguable that more than half of the women in this game are oversexualized with oversized features, sexy phrases and sexy armor. And the fact that you call karma a no-boob when she has average sized breasts for a human adult implies that you've been desensitized to the issue.

The lore is almost certainly written by the same people that made this video, not a seasoned fantasy writer. I know it's an opinion (one that every person I've talked to in real life, all college kids, agrees with) but the League of Legends lore is just pathetic and shallow.

You'd think they'd have a system like Magic The Gathering for writing the technical information of their skills. One that has no ambiguities, and that would place the contextual information at the beginning or end of the ability.

I actually couldn't get through the entire video because of how hard it made me cringe, these people are simply immature. Actually, as a software engineer I can tell you that almost every person in my program is a lot like these people, oversized (albeit intelligent) manchildren with good ideas but poor taste.

Ryufu

08-16-2012

I think we could go a week or two without new champions... What we need are new maps to play on. Just my opinion.

halfcast

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12PieceMeal View Post
How long will the game be able to pump out characters. I like them all, and think they are all different in their own way. But questions will come up like, How many characters will we now banned in ranked matches? How many global ultis will there be? Do pro's need to memorize 150 something characters come next year? Will there always be originality? I love the champs, but good and bad things happen with the introduction of so many.
I think the fact that there is so many champions makes the diversity and skill cap at high end or competitive play so good and rewarding. You do have a point with the bans of champs when we start getting to numbers of 150, maybe have 4 bans per team but I think 3 would still work that will make the bans even more important and thought out where high end players will quickly be able to suss out which ones to ban.

On the number of champs being released I have noticed maybe not a decrease in originality but the surprise of new champs being released doesnt hold the same excitement of say back when they were being released at larger intervals. The fact new champs arent released with 2 skins anymore has me dissapointed, it shows me that time and effort arent being put into it as much as before. I get the feeling of them being 'pumped out' for some unknown reason and I think that takes away from them overall. Riot perhaps you could have a 'holiday' from making champs at certain times of the year which would make us crave them even more and bring some excitement of a new champ being released instead of a uninspired feeling of yet a new champ this week. There is a limit to how many champs you can release pace them.

P.S. Perhaps have a bunch of champions made after this 'holiday' then create sort of a champion 'draft' where the community votes on a few to become able to play while other miss out until the next pick. This would of course be different in all the regions depending on the community. This would be something very clever and original.

Halfcast
Australia