Need help building Morgana (and other tactics and strategies)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lil Miss Lori

08-16-2012

So I'm a little confused at the best way to build Morgana. According to the majority of the guides I read, she starts with Boots + x3 pots, and then starts stacking Dorans after that, then goes toward RoA, and then Rabadons. After that it becomes situational, usually an Hourglass though.

I've been trying to practice Morgana and I've been doing... relatively decent, I suppose. The issue I'm coming across is my lack of AP mid-game. I'm used to champions like Ahri and Annie doing actual damage, but as Morgana ~ when I build all those Dorans ~ I become more Utility and not really a damage-dealing AP caster. I have health and can snare targets for my teammates to down, putting down some tormented soil for some mediocre damage and shielding whoever is being targetted. MAYBE I'll be lucky to get a kill from my AoE or an AA.

Then end-game, I've fallen off completely. By this time, I haven't really gotten enough kills to buy much. I have Sorc boots, 2 dorans, my RoA, and MAYBE my Rabadons ~ if not, then working on it. My damage sucks and the best I can do is run in to the team fight, hit my ult, and hope they get stunned before I die so I've at least contributed something. My CS isn't horribad either. I get 140 on average by end-game, which I know isn't GOOD (while Morg's soil can clear casters and wraiths, I haven't gotten used to her slow AA yet..) but its better than a lot of other people I team with.

I'm just not quite sure how to address this situation. It definitely relates to my skill as a LoL player (I'm not level 30 yet on my main account, and I'm playing Morgana on a new account without any runes or masteries. My friend started playing LoL and I thought I'd join him and play as the cheap RP/IP champs Annie and Morg respectively.) I'd just love some building tips and strategies to help me become a better Morg player.

Thank you ^_^

Cenerae

08-16-2012

If you're comfortable with playing Morg, don't get the Rod. Having one makes you pretty tanky but it really bites into your power while it's not fully charged, and it's expensive to boot. You definately don't compound this by stacking Dorans items - Catalyst will give you the tankiness, buying the rings for AP is inefficient at that point.

So, if you're not comfortable with her yet, start boots then get a Catalyst and turn it into a Rod ASAP, but skip the Doran's items. If you are comfortable with her, do your boots start, get 1 or 2 Doran's Rings depending on how well you do early game, then go straight for a Deathcap.

After that you generally want an Hourglass so you can pop it while ulting if you get focused down. Or an Abyssal Scepter, if you're needing magic resist. Or a void staff if you need neither.

Lil Miss Lori

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenerae View Post
If you're comfortable with playing Morg, don't get the Rod. Having one makes you pretty tanky but it really bites into your power while it's not fully charged, and it's expensive to boot. You definately don't compound this by stacking Dorans items - Catalyst will give you the tankiness, buying the rings for AP is inefficient at that point.

So, if you're not comfortable with her yet, start boots then get a Catalyst and turn it into a Rod ASAP, but skip the Doran's items. If you are comfortable with her, do your boots start, get 1 or 2 Doran's Rings depending on how well you do early game, then go straight for a Deathcap.

After that you generally want an Hourglass so you can pop it while ulting if you get focused down. Or an Abyssal Scepter, if you're needing magic resist. Or a void staff if you need neither.
Oooh okay. Yeah, I figured RoA was a staple for Morg because its in virtually every guide. Ever. But I'll try it that way!!

Does anyone ever build DFG on Morg? Sometimes I like picking up a Kage's instead of 2 dorans because its much cheaper and only 5 AP short of Doransx2. It also builds into DFG late game so I don't feel like its a waste. But I've never tried this on Morg hmm..

TB9Durkee

08-16-2012

I play Morgana (ideally mid), setup with Magic Penetration/Mana Regen/Ability Power Runes, with standard 21-0-9 Mastery setup for AP and Mana Regen. If you want to be aggressive, take Exhaust and Ignite as spells, otherwise Flash or Clarity and Ghost

Start with Doran's Ring and Tormented Soil, focus on farming minions for gold with a bit of harass against the enemy mid, leveling Soil & Dark Binding until you get Soul Shackles. In the meantime to Lvl6, with the gold, work to get a second Doran's ring (helps with AP and mana regen), and basic boots. Don't get killed or too harassed

At this point, if you've harassed your opponent to around half health and they make a mistake and get too close, you can snare them with Dark Binding, and hit them with Soul Shackles and Ignite (tip - start moving towards their tower, the mostly likely place they'll retreat, best chance of landing stun). After the stun, plan to hit them with Exhaust and Tormented Soil - this should net you a kill, or at least help you dominate lane by pushing them out, allowing you to farm. (This is situational, some mid champions and players are harder to push around).

Items to work towards are Sorcerer's Boots, Zhonya's Hourglass, Rabaddon's Deathcap, then choice of Rylai's, Void Staff, Will of the Ancients (doubling up the spell vamp of your passive skill), etc., replacing the Doran's when you have the gold. Personally, I don't ever get RoA, but DFG is a solid pick (I prefer Rylai's for health and slow, Void Staff for MPen).

Morgana shifts from good damage in early to mid game to support in late game - use Dark Binding to snare targets for your DPS teammates, Black Shield to keep them safe. It's hard in mid-late team fights to land both halves of your Soul Shackles - try to launch it and stay close to one or two of your targets for the stun. If you get attacked after launching your ult, hit the active on Zhonya's to keep you alive through most of the duration.

Morgana is fun, her passive helps her sustain in lane, but she isn't the "melt your face" type of mage (that's Ryze, Annie, Lux, Brand). Late game she's good support - Black Shield will be your teammate's best friend - with decent damage and good ability to push lanes (high AP Tormented Soil will insta-kill a creep wave).

GL HF!