Aggressive maokai that tanks, 3v3

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mendeleyev

11-20-2012

My build I am told is funny, but it works for me. I probably have about a 60% win rate, and it is mostly based on my partners, I feel.

So, usually I snag boots and the ring.

first spell is the sapling for the bushes fight

second spell is arcane smash, third is root. Once I get root, I can comfortably begin ganking.

I build the ruby, sapphire, blasting wand, then MY preference are the +3 speed boots. This way i can catch people for my root.

I max arcane smash ASAP, getting either the sapling or the root when I can't get smash.

once i get money, and if I have good partners i do, I upgrade to the catalyst and then rod of ages.

after that, I build rylai's, starting with the belt.

This build allows for a perfect blend of tanking and aggressiveness to perform great teamfighting, filled with roots and hardcore slows. The saplings aren't bad either. I can clear jungles and minions with extreme ease, typically little more than one sapling and a smash.

After rylai's, I get flexibility to build to whatever the need is. I get Banshee's usually for more life, magic resist, and that bubble.

My runes are armor. magic penetration, mana, and ability power.

In a game with great partners, I take a side role of basically tanking via roots/slows, but when my team is slacking, i have the capability to carry them until they get on their feet.

I typically will not have more than 10 kills, but I will easily have the most assists.

thoughts? I am not a details guy, which is why there are few specific item/rune names.
this build works in 5v5 in my experience, changing the starting items to boots, health pot, 2 mana pots.

mendeleyev

11-20-2012

I should mention my endgame is typically weak, as i focus all the power into rylai and rod of ages. Everything after that is designed for surviving. If I live longer, I can hang around to stun and root more. Plus survival is important for the ult, which will reduce damage for my team as long as i am around and my team stays in the circle.

TehJackAttack

11-20-2012

Swift boots are terrible

paintmania101

11-20-2012

Simply not enough sustained burst. I love Maokai for 5's but he doesn't have the kit for the speed of TT. The only way to make him some what viable is two teammates with early burst and you take root and go for a double kill or ace right from the beginning.

But the longer the match goes on the less involved he becomes and more your team will suffer.

Go with Cho or Amumu if you are looking for ap tanks.

mendeleyev

11-20-2012

maokai slows down the speed of TT. When i do it, we easily munch down one with root and then we have a 2v3 on our hands. it seems to work well

Stormrider6

11-21-2012

My suggestion would be to work in a little more tankiness with cooldown reduction. Frozen heart and randuins for AD teams, Athenes for some more magic resist, ap and more cooldown again. Being able to spam your skills more often benefits the fight more then having 100 or so more AP