Learning other roles? I'm eternally support, please help.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chicorie

11-21-2012

Don't get me wrong, I love playing support. However, I've been playing for nearly a year now, and I've impulse-bought over 90 champs. I don't want them to sit there; they deserve to be played!

I also wish to be of greater help to my gaming group, and to be able to solo queue without the risk of someone else calling support before I get a chance to ask. I understand the game mechanics: last hitting, when to push or back off, setting up ganks for my jungler, and how team fights play out.

So... why can't I carry? My timing always seems off with last hits-- a moment too soon or too late. I also tend to be quite defensive, used to poking as on my supports. My role as support demands quick reflexes and good awareness, so why do I have so much trouble applying it here? In fact, I'm usually the one coaching my lane partner when to push or back off, or when a gank is coming.

I can't see using a Smurf as helpful, as I have all the runes I need right here. Can anyone provide some advice? In game coaching? Thanks!

Rekitsu

11-21-2012

Just pick a few champs in other roles that you like and practice them. It will take time to learn how their attack animations work and the basics of the champ before you can really do well. Most support have really slow auto attacks, and no don't use a smurf since practicing on less skilled players doesn't make you more skilled.

Also, even when you get good with other roles. Don't always expect to be able to "carry". I mean yeah, you can do it, but even if you do carry you can't win the game alone. Without at least a group of human meat bags to block damage for you in team fights your ultimately screwed. Mabye try jungling? Jungling and support are the most honorable roles to be filling for sure, since no one wants to do it and everyone rages when you make 1 mistake. Or when your mid, top both want a gank right now, and your being counter jungled trying to babysit two people. Yeah, that sucks.

Tha Dynamite

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-21-2012

Last hits is just about timing.
If you want to learn quickly, play Anivia or Annie. IMO, they are two of the hardest champions to last hit with without using skills. If you can last hit 85% with them using autos, then you can last hit 99% with anyone else.

Also, nobody just starts carrying out of nowhere. I picked up League way late compared to my group. I was level 1 when they were 30. It took me a couple of months before I was anywhere near as good as them and it took me a year for me to actually carry games.
Just give it time.

Btw, you're super broad with your problems. Can't really say much in text.

Devious Rogue

11-21-2012

The easiest role is Jungle in my opinion. You don't have to worry about the back and forth duelling that comes with laning and you'll always get your last hits. Pick a straight-forward champ like Xin Zhao and get cracking. (Though there are a lot of tricky, high-level plays you can do using him, but you don't *need* them to be just good)

Also, yeah, practice last hitting a lot and you'll get there.

Elodin

11-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboRal View Post
Last hits is just about timing.
If you want to learn quickly, play Anivia or Annie. IMO, they are two of the hardest champions to last hit with without using skills. If you can last hit 85% with them using autos, then you can last hit 99% with anyone else.

I wouldn't pick up a champ to help you last hit with everything, because you'll get used to last hitting with that specific auto-attack animation and then when you switch to a faster one it'll take some time to get used to that one. Just practice on the champions you want to play. Yeah, it's easier to go from Slow to fast last hit AA animation, but it's not such a time saver that its really worth going out of your way for.