Jungle Trundle

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

St0ckholme

Recruiter

08-15-2012

My favorite role is jungling and I'm looking for a new champion. Is Trundle a good jungler and who does he counter good against? thanks

Kensai07

08-15-2012

He's not terrible, really good counterjungle. He just doesn't have a lot of "Flash" that the newer champs do.

I would say he's got average ganking average speed and above average counter jungle/1v1

He stays decently strong late, again just not a lot of "Flash"

St0ckholme

Recruiter

08-15-2012

thanks, yeah he needs ghost to steadily keep bashing on his enemies, but he's a good addition to a team, tried him out earlier, all positive kd matches

Etherimp

08-16-2012

He's actually quite good at ganks.. Very fast in the jungle, great counter-jungler, and one of the better duelist I have played. Up there with Jax in terms of 1v1.

You need some kind of legit tank to do well late game, and your carries need to be able to actually carry, otherwise you're worthless.

Aikimiller

08-16-2012

Trundle has a pretty heavy skill requirement, for not a lot of reward.

I love him, but he is simply more difficult to play than other champions, with less reward. The trick to being good with him is understanding positioning. His pillar is a very weak ganking tool, and very easy for the enemy champion to deal with if you're not perfect with it. And even then, you need to know how to best gank, how to position yourself, when and where to come in, and preferably have an ally with both damage and CC.

Contributing to a team with trundle really means counter jungling- you have to interrupt the other team in order to give your team an advantage, because late game trundle does fall off.

Additionally- making him competetive as a jungler means optimizing heavily with runes and masteries. I run 21-9-0, and start with a doran's blade, with a total of 12 armor pen from runes+masteries, the rest being armor and attack speed. Pretty standard setup for an auto-attack based jungler- but this really does make or break his early clear times.

Etherimp

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikimiller View Post
Trundle has a pretty heavy skill requirement, for not a lot of reward.

I love him, but he is simply more difficult to play than other champions, with less reward. The trick to being good with him is understanding positioning. His pillar is a very weak ganking tool, and very easy for the enemy champion to deal with if you're not perfect with it. And even then, you need to know how to best gank, how to position yourself, when and where to come in, and preferably have an ally with both damage and CC.

Contributing to a team with trundle really means counter jungling- you have to interrupt the other team in order to give your team an advantage, because late game trundle does fall off.

Additionally- making him competetive as a jungler means optimizing heavily with runes and masteries. I run 21-9-0, and start with a doran's blade, with a total of 12 armor pen from runes+masteries, the rest being armor and attack speed. Pretty standard setup for an auto-attack based jungler- but this really does make or break his early clear times.
I run 9/21/0 and start Boots + 3 pots. I'll have to try 21/9 w/ Dorans to see how it works out.. I imagine the ganks are stronger, but honestly I do not have a problem with ganking as Trundle.

You get CC reduction, a move and attack speed boost, combined with an Auto-attack reset (q), and a pillar that has an incredible slow effect AND completely screws up enemy pathing..

How exactly is this "weak"?

Rammus is considered, by and large, to have great CC for ganking. His taunt does 3 seconds of CC on an opponent with no CC reduction/tenacity. The downside being that you have to be in melee range.. The upside being that you can position the enemy where you want them if they are melee.

Trundles E (pillar) has a HUGE range, and it can completely block off a bush. It can't be blocked by spell shields or tenacity because it's an AOE slow "field" rather than a static effect.

I'd say on average, I get more actual "cc" out of Pillar than I would out of a taunt. Of course, the taunt is more reliable in some ways, but the pillar can screw over several opponents at once.

The first two games I played with Trundle I got a double kill top lane at level 2, counter-ganking.

Not saying the pillar is perfect, but I think calling it a "Very weak ganking tool" is underselling it.

Furthermore, what's this "heavy skill requirement" people talk about? I've heard that said before about Trundle but I had absolutely no problems picking him up and doing well with him during the early->mid game. Of course, I'm a rather experienced jungler, so I already understand how to gank and counter-jungle.