To all "Where is my black champion" threads.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lemonpartyfan0

08-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Whiskie View Post
I'm going to be sad if CerealBoxOfDoom's Anansi concept doesn't come to fruition, especially as the ability concept (punishing enemies for not following basic rules) is incredibly clever. MAKE IT SO.

The source for my Latino/blacks being the largest gaming Demographic comes from Cracked, which is about as accurate as Wikipedia, so take it or leave it. I know Korea has an incredible strong online gaming presence, but how often do you see Brazilians and Argentinians in League? I'll just leave that case there, take it or leave it.
I hope you don't really believe most of the things from the second paragraph. Wikipedia is used for/by legitimate reasons. Cracked is a great site for humor, but that's about it. They focus mainly on sarcasm and satire, so that isn't credible in the slightest.

Negrojefe

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma Armor0 View Post
Darius could not have been black because, lore-wise, he's swain's toady which would have been too reminiscent of slavery.
Garen could not have been black because see above, but replace swain with Jarvan IV.
Varus could not be because he looks almost demonic, are you saying black people are the devil?
Teemo couldn't have been black because he's bipolar (if you read his lore) and one of the most annoying champs in the game...are you saying black people are bipolar/annoying?

Note: I do not personally make any of those arguments, but I guarantee someone will. That's the problem. No matter what the black champion does, someone will find a way to make it racist.

Actually no, people wont make those stupid arguments, as they dont do it in the games that do have black people in.

lemonpartyfan0

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrojefe View Post
Actually no, people wont make those stupid arguments, as they dont do it in the games that do have black people in.
Sorry, thats totally not true. I have read many a "that company is racist for making X black champion"

Negrojefe

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********fan0 View Post
Sorry, thats totally not true. I have read many a "that company is racist for making X black champion"
Yet no company has been given a racist label. Yes, some idiot may say those idiotic stuff, but "people" as in a large enough group to be meaningfull wont.

There have been plenty of black characters in games, and no company has the label of racist.

lemonpartyfan0

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrojefe View Post
Yet no company has been given a racist label. Yes, some idiot may say those idiotic stuff, but "people" as in a large enough group to be meaningfull wont.

There have been plenty of black characters in games, and no company has the label of racist.
Just google racist video games. I did. Some of the accusations are shocking. Here are some:

Mario
Street fighter
Grand theft auto
Pokemon
Scribblenauts
Mike Tysons Punch out
Donkey Kong
Resident Evil 5
Left 4 Dead 2
Red Dead

Seriously? I hope some of those surprise you. L4D2 was called racist only because it portrayed black zombies. Uhhh? Only white people can be zombies now? The same goes for RE5.

Even more ridiculous are some of my favorite games. World of Warcraft, Diablo 2 and 3... all called racist.

WoW- Because the dark skins tones "dont look black enough"
D2- They had to add a black character in an expansion because they arent good enough to be in the main game
D3- The Witch Doctor is insulting (Even though it is an amazing class)

Those are things I have actually heard..Seriously? MARIO IS RACIST?

Peligrad

08-16-2012

Mario is culturally blended as possible.

He speaks English
With an Italian accent
But looks like a Mexican
In a game made by the Japanese
Who often spits fire like a woman
Jumps like a black man,
And grabs coins like a Jew.

How do you get more multi-culti than that?

The simple fact is that people are going to complain...because it makes them feel important I guess...

gavnuts

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peligrad View Post
The simple fact is that people are going to complain...because it makes them feel important I guess...
this is all it boils down to, attention seekers

Negrojefe

08-16-2012

Quote:
Just google racist video games. I did. Some of the accusations are shocking. Here are some:

Mario
Street fighter
Grand theft auto
Pokemon
Scribblenauts
Mike Tysons Punch out
Donkey Kong
Resident Evil 5
Left 4 Dead 2
Red Dead

Seriously? I hope some of those surprise you. L4D2 was called racist only because it portrayed black zombies. Uhhh? Only white people can be zombies now? The same goes for RE5.

Even more ridiculous are some of my favorite games. World of Warcraft, Diablo 2 and 3... all called racist.

WoW- Because the dark skins tones "dont look black enough"
D2- They had to add a black character in an expansion because they arent good enough to be in the main game
D3- The Witch Doctor is insulting (Even though it is an amazing class)

Those are things I have actually heard..Seriously? MARIO IS RACIST?
Again, stupid people might make stupid accusations for games, but no one would take them seriously.

Is Nintendo or Rockstar labeled as racist companies? Even when some random guy tried to label a game as racist?

I'm sorry, random idiots trying to say a game is racis IS NOT a good excuse for not having a black champ in the game. Its just not.

You gave the examples yourself, that list games that some random guy tried to label as racist include some of the more suiccesfull game IN THE HISTORY of gaming.

Again, random guys might call a game racist, "people" as in a meaningfull amount of players wont. So thats not a good excuse.

Howling Stray

08-16-2012

Quote:
I hope you don't really believe most of the things from the second paragraph. Wikipedia is used for/by legitimate reasons. Cracked is a great site for humor, but that's about it. They focus mainly on sarcasm and satire, so that isn't credible in the slightest.
I'm simply being honest about where I gleaned the factoid, as I believe if people are going to put forward statistics, they ought to back them up with something. Cracked is a website for humor, but it is composed of bullet point lists of little facts spiced up and woven together. I compare Wikipedia because anyone can go to Wikipedia, add a fact, and provide a reference for aforementioned fact, regardless of where the fact came from. Some of the most reputable sources leap on a fact that was misquoted or just plain wrong and offer it as truth. Wikipedia has a strong self-moderating community, and Cracked has its comments section (godspeed should you wade through it).

Regardless, in my experience, I suffered growing up without any or many role models I found worthy of emulation, because they simply didn't apply to me. And many different people suffer this, and I don't believe they should have to just because "reasons". Fantasy has no limitations, which is why people get their hopes up about representation. And some people will go ahead and create their own representations and those may or may not make it into mainstream culture, which is self-perpetuating.

CerealBoxOfDoom

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimugen View Post
Saying this might as well also confirm that the race card can be thrown out for anything. Let's say Soraka was black, then all black people are some weird horse thing? Make Eve black, saying black women wear little clothing? Talon being black, so everyone is a knife crazy killer?
This is an Oxymoron. The race issue is of little importance. Nobody should care, and it will happen eventually.

ALSO, there is no such thing as Africa in Runeterra. So even if they are black, technically, they are not black. This thread, with all my will trying not to sound insulting, is moronic and dumb. Seriously, nobody should care.
soraka being black wouldnt have been too bad tho satyrs are associated with another culture