To all "Where is my black champion" threads.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Howling Stray

08-15-2012

It surprises me that the thread asking for [x race here] champions was locked, but the thread defying the (in my opinion fair) request is not, so I'm re-hashing what I said there here, and adding to it.

Champions of races besides Caucasian and some more non-hyper-sexualized females and more non-hypermasculine males would all be a welcome sight.

Anyone who argues against race representation in a game with multiple player characters is just...wrong. The "this is a fantasy world there are no minorities/gays" argument is fallacy. If there are humans or humanoids, there need to be non-Caucasian or nonstandard races, because on any Earthlike planet there will be different environments and thus different skin colors and body compositions. And anywhere there is love there is non-standard love, cross-racial and within-gendered, because wherever there is love there is forbidden love.

The majority of gamers are Latino and black. They are the LARGEST gaming demographic and sorely underrepresented.

We have Ionia to cover Asian peoples and Freljordia to cover Nordic peoples. So again, the argument against representing other races is moot if you represent whites + one or two other nifty races.

Many writers are guilty of being too trapped in their own experience to include things that aren't them (for example non-white, non-heterosexual, or unrealistic representations of whatever gender you aren't). Acknowledge it, identify it, and attempt to expand what you design. Simple as that.

Disclaimer here that I'm not arguing for non-heterosexual champions to be implemented, I only brought up gender and sexuality as they are similar arguments in other video games, but League of Legends doesn't have the gameplay to support romance stories save for as a quiet mention in any given champion's lore. I would like to see more non-hyper-sexualized females and non-hypermasculine males for sure, as a girl gamer I'd like to play female champions that aren't hyper-sexualized because I don't know, because I project myself onto the characters and if I feel like if I was wearing my champion's outfit I'd get molested in an alley I just won't want to play it.

In any case, the argument for suggesting a non-stereotypical [x race here] is challenging but it's not an argument against trying. There are Asian-type peoples in game and Nordic-type peoples in game, and I'vent heard too many people saying "Ahri has a charm spell Riot thinks all Asians are seductresses" or "Volibear is a polar bear riot thinks all vikings were animals". It's more like "Riot thought kitsune folklore was nifty" and "Riot was a fan of His Dark Materials". I could argue that Barret in Final Fantasy VII was a racist portrayal of black people because he has a gun for an arm and is a single dad or I could argue that Barret is a gorram badass because he has a gorram gatling gun for an arm and because he's supporting his child as a single dad and that's pretty darn badass.

In closing, fantasy is fantasy and an escape from reality, but we all need to identify with characters and everyone ought to be allowed to have a character in some media somewhere to identify with. Harry Potter is fantasy and it has Asian characters featured prominently, among other races. Lord of the Rings is fantasy and it has dwarves and elves which might not be specific human-based races but they are races to provide diversity because the world is diverse and diversity is the spice of life. We have different races and Earth's animals have different species. League of Legends has nations and humans and Yordles and fantastic beasts. If they want to say Warwick was cursed and turned into a werewolf they can, and if they want to say a recently discovered island nation populated by a dark-skinned race recently gained some political or conquest-based power and began interacting with the other nations and some champions from there joined the League they could. And if players are creative enough to offer some ideas on champions from that nation they could, or just the basis of the nation itself.

Go forth and create, people!

CerealBoxOfDoom

08-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Whiskie View Post
The majority of gamers are Latino and black. They are the LARGEST gaming demographic and sorely underrepresented.
I imagine there are more asian gamers than both put together

CerealBoxOfDoom

08-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealBoxOfDoom View Post
Anansi, the clever spider

lore:
inventor mage extraordinare from that place rammus came from. Employed by the league to represent a certain small city-state getting started in the area. One he plans to have great influence in.

character alignment: often mean spirited but generally good but not terribly fond of physical labor seeing as the original was a spider. Think of him as a grumpy old man who gets kicks out of trolling the local kids.

character attributes: A comical old man, preferably in the form of a spider, to him champs like swain are like spunky little kids, and he'd likely find leblanc, mokai and other older, more powerful champs (lorewise) more interesting. He would be the epitimay of the trickster and have strange abilities centered around slights of hand that punish players that don't follow the very basics, like standing behind minions and not standing under turrets and whatnot.

based off the tales of uncle anansi, the wise spider that

accidently created the moon and stars,
nearly made a chameleon into a god,
and tricked a man into feeding his house to a village of starving people.
So I noticed nobody actually cares when I try my hand at making a black culture inspired character lol

Overlord Heian

08-15-2012

Yeah, these stupid threads are just as original.

Carnack

08-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Whiskie View Post
*Looks around* Then I guess the "majority" has no problems with the current direction.

As for being "just wrong" call it extreme annoyance at constant *****ing.

Here's a champ for you.

Blackie: The Token's Despair

Passive: Gimme Dat Cash Sucka!: Every 10 seconds Blackie will take 10 gold from everyone in the game.

Q: Dunkin Crunkin: Blackie leaps at target champion and stuns them for 1 minute.

W: We Need!: Blackie teleports to a random champion and taunts them for 4 seconds with a recital of every black champ thread in existence.

E: U Hatin: Blackie gets dealt 100 damage.

R: Token Wrath!: Blackie stuns everyone and everything in the game and promptly ends it. Everyone is sued for 1,000,000,000 dollars.

Do the same for those howling for plain girls, gay Xs, and fat Xs. Or just make them crushingly boring.

Howling Stray

08-15-2012

I'm going to be sad if CerealBoxOfDoom's Anansi concept doesn't come to fruition, especially as the ability concept (punishing enemies for not following basic rules) is incredibly clever. MAKE IT SO.

The source for my Latino/blacks being the largest gaming Demographic comes from Cracked, which is about as accurate as Wikipedia, so take it or leave it. I know Korea has an incredible strong online gaming presence, but how often do you see Brazilians and Argentinians in League? I'll just leave that case there, take it or leave it.

Howling Stray

08-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnack View Post
*Looks around* Then I guess the "majority" has no problems with the current direction.

As for being "just wrong" call it extreme annoyance at constant *****ing.

Here's a champ for you.

Blackie: The Token's Despair

Passive: Gimme Dat Cash Sucka!: Every 10 seconds Blackie will take 10 gold from everyone in the game.

Q: Dunkin Crunkin: Blackie leaps at target champion and stuns them for 1 minute.

W: We Need!: Blackie teleports to a random champion and taunts them for 4 seconds with a recital of every black champ thread in existence.

E: U Hatin: Blackie gets dealt 100 damage.

R: Token Wrath!: Blackie stuns everyone and everything in the game and promptly ends it. Everyone is sued for 1,000,000,000 dollars.

Do the same for those howling for plain girls, gay Xs, and fat Xs. Or just make them crushingly boring.

Again, you could create a token character, and you can joke about token characters, but that doesn't mean someone somewhere couldn't create a character of any given race, gender, sexuality or class/caste and not have it be insulting.

And no, the majority of a minority typically doesn't have the leverage, currency, or power to be the person in charge of churning out media, and when they are, it still has to make it through editing, and someone in the tallest chair has to okay it. And somewhere great ideas are left on the cutting board, or edited into something awful. See: Hollywood. See: Any Big Gaming Company. Riot, in my experience, is still in touch with its community and I believe it has the ability to blaze some trails.

Howling Stray

08-15-2012

For further examples: See The Sims or Bioware with gay relationships. Trails, they were blazed. It takes just one person in charge or enough people representing a community to make enough noise, crying "equal representation".

NO GAME-ATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION. Someone should make that viral :P

My point being it would not be a bad thing for any given race, ***, sexuality or social class/caste to be represented in an accurate manner in any media anywhere, and arguing against that is simply the easy way to leave everything predominantly represented by whatever is predominant.

Bimugen

08-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma Armor0 View Post
Darius could not have been black because, lore-wise, he's swain's toady which would have been too reminiscent of slavery.
Garen could not have been black because see above, but replace swain with Jarvan IV.
Varus could not be because he looks almost demonic, are you saying black people are the devil?
Teemo couldn't have been black because he's bipolar (if you read his lore) and one of the most annoying champs in the game...are you saying black people are bipolar/annoying?

Note: I do not personally make any of those arguments, but I guarantee someone will. That's the problem. No matter what the black champion does, someone will find a way to make it racist.
Saying this might as well also confirm that the race card can be thrown out for anything. Let's say Soraka was black, then all black people are some weird horse thing? Make Eve black, saying black women wear little clothing? Talon being black, so everyone is a knife crazy killer?
This is an Oxymoron. The race issue is of little importance. Nobody should care, and it will happen eventually.

ALSO, there is no such thing as Africa in Runeterra. So even if they are black, technically, they are not black. This thread, with all my will trying not to sound insulting, is moronic and dumb. Seriously, nobody should care.

Carnack

08-15-2012

Equality can burn for all I care. Equality is an ideal entertained by children.