New Kat...maybe an AP bruiser?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cenerae

08-15-2012

Her new W offers pretty respectable AoE damage in a teamfight, and without using that much her kit seems really weak. But if you build her around a glass cannony nuker build like the old Kat tended to be...then you can't afford to stick around after dumping your spells on the enemies. You have to back right up or die, assumming they didn't focus you immediately anyway.

Since her ult has considerably less killing power than it did, I'm wondering if a more bruiser type mage build would work on her. Gunblade (since it still offers the highest increase to her ult's damage out of any other item choice), then Abyssal, Hourglass, Rylai and either a Void Staff or GA to finish it off, depending on how the game's going. Not necessarily in that order, and not necessarily those items, but you get the idea.

Thoughts?

Cenerae

08-15-2012

Bump. I see downvotes, but no comments. If it's a bad idea, maybe tell me why?

Mestaaja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-15-2012

Because she still has the base stats of a squishy ap assassin. Building the items you mentioned doesn't magically transform her into a bruiser, she will still be focused down in 2 seconds if she jumps into the enemy team at the wrong time.
Damage is still pretty much the only thing that she brings to the table, so building her unecessarily tanky is not a good idea. Since her base damages are ridiculously low, you won't be doing anything if you don't build straight up ap.

Valkors

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-16-2012

Yeah... those aren't neccessarily bad items though. The Hourglass was/is sort of a "must" substitute for the Hat (or in addition to) if you can remember to use items in the heat of battle. Rylai's is something I have always felt strongly about for Kat, and the Scepter and Void Staff are also both good decisions (although it's usually one or the other, never both.)

My usual build is something like (I suck at remembering item names):

Boots (Sorcerer or Cooldown, or Cooldown early and then sell for Sorcerer around level 10 or 12.), Spellsteal Gun or if I suck balls and I'm struggling for kills or money I'll get the Icepick for Gold per Sec (which I'll then turn into the Deathfire Grasp for extra damage on tanks) and then I'll get Spellsteal Gun Rylai's, then it's usually straight to the Rabaddon's Hat. After that, it's sort of all situational, where am I excelling, where am I sucking. I usually never get the Gunblade just because I feel so strongly about all the other items first, and it's so expensive. Sometimes I'll turn the Gun into the AoE Buff Spellsteal book, other times I'll go straight for the Scepter or Hourglass if I'm getting my butt kicked in by a specific damage type, other times I'll go straight to the Void Staff.

So, yeah, all your item suggestions make sense, but I don't think Kat can ever really "live", but Rylai's DEFINITELY makes her less squishy, and that's always a good thing.

Fat Mchugelarge

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestaaja View Post
Because she still has the base stats of a squishy ap assassin. Building the items you mentioned doesn't magically transform her into a bruiser, she will still be focused down in 2 seconds if she jumps into the enemy team at the wrong time.
Damage is still pretty much the only thing that she brings to the table, so building her unecessarily tanky is not a good idea. Since her base damages are ridiculously low, you won't be doing anything if you don't build straight up ap.
Her base stats are a bit low, but her growths make up for it. Besides, she actually has a damage reduction ability that's on a low cooldown.

Valkors

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Mchugelarge View Post
Besides, she actually has a damage reduction ability that's on a low cooldown.
Late game yeah. Early game... 'eh.

Cenerae

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestaaja View Post
No, building the items doesn't make her a bruiser, but she has a spammable W and damage reduction on her Shunpo.

If she can't outright blow people up as effectively, then maybe building her for some durability might help. Since she can stick around longer and help to make kills/assists happen, rather than die in a fingersnap when focused.

I dunno, it's just a thought.

Valkors

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenerae View Post
If she can't outright blow people up as effectively, then maybe building her for some durability might help. Since she can stick around longer and help to make kills/assists happen, rather than die in a fingersnap when focused.
Basically this. You're spot on. It's how I've been trying to play my Kat. But I also have to play her like Ezreal too, always hiding and running away from a fight and then running back in once focus is off of me or doing some quick maneuvering with Flash or Shunpo.