LoL attitude vs DotA attitude

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VMan7

08-15-2012

Mid lane axe isn't new, lol.

Hardy2Defy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-15-2012

WWF Attitude.

curiel

08-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acerbatus View Post
You're assuming a lot of things.
Like what?

ViashinoWizard

08-15-2012

Maybe, but at least in LoL you're allowed to make a mistake once in a while without losing the lane/game.

Acerbatus

08-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMan7 View Post
Mid lane axe isn't new, lol.
>Trying something new

Would you like me to look up the definition of that phrase for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViashinoWizard View Post
Maybe, but at least in LoL you're allowed to make a mistake once in a while without losing the lane/game.
Can you elaborate?

Felaedor

08-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Donut View Post
Exactly. When LoL was new there was no real set meta. You'd see everything, sometimes even trilanes. No one cared if there were 2 AD on the same lane. Jungling? Meh, maybe if you played Warwick or Nunu.

It's just a matter of time.
DotA2 is DotA. In no way is it new. In comparison, LoL is the new one by about 5 years.

It has FAR surpassed LoL's metagame evolution to the point where there are MULTIPLE viable strategies instead of a single constant lane setup, and whoever plays that lane setup better wins.

It's where things like Dignitas' healcomp and M5's aggressive double counterjungling WOULD have taken the LoL metagame if Riot weren't as handson with their balance approach and made sure the non-meta strats from the previous tournament weren't available at the next one.

DotA2's meta is at a later stage than LoL's. You just don't know better. It is a matter of time. You're right about that. It's just the complete opposite of what you actually meant.

rathy Aro

08-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acerbatus View Post
When you want to try something new, LoL players will spam report before the game even starts. It's like they are stuck with the mentality that if it's not the meta, they will report. A huge *****fest for the metagame.

Yesterday, I had a game where I wanted to play as AP Janna in mid. The Morganna on my team was telling me she'd report me for trolling if we shared mid. I don't see anywhere that says you can report for sharing mid. Someone on my team dodged and on the next Champion Selection, I pick Janna and go against that same Morganna mid. She was screaming I'll report after game before the match even started. Guess who won the lane.
I did. Guess who won the game? My team. Guess who was still reported by Morganna? I was.

Today in DotA 2, I wanted to try something crazy. I wanted to go to mid-lane as Axe. No one threatened to report me. No one threatened to grief if I did. They just said aite cool and we started the game. I got lucky and was able to win, but no one said anything about how weird this strategy was. They even commended me for trying something new and making it work.

The average LoL player has a closed mindset towards anything Meta-breaking. Anything that is not a top tier pick is grounds for reporting according to them. I don't know about you, but I think this needs to change.
1) Pretty sure the average LoL player is younger. Honestly when you remind yourself you are probably playing with 15 year olds, everything becomes so clear and you just can't get mad.

2) People aren't wrong for discouraging stuff they've never seen. People try "new things" all the time and they often fail, so if you want to increase your chance of winning you'll stay away from new strats. Of course if someone has extensively tested something and explain why it works, i'll let them try it out, particularly in normals.

Light LaserTower

08-15-2012

Go back in time 8 years, play dota, come back to right now, tell me how it went for you. Oh they raged, than reported you and now you are insta kicked from any game you join cool.

Acerbatus

08-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiel View Post
Like what?
Like how two mid won't kill the single mid early and take their tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light LaserTower View Post
Go back in time 8 years, play dota, come back to right now, tell me how it went for you. Oh they raged, than reported you and now you are insta kicked from any game you join cool.
I play Dota every time my cousin comes over with his laptop.
This has been going on for like 8 years or so, back in '04.
No one raged at me.

AngryMilk7

08-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylnaz View Post
DOTA's competitive scene is much bigger than LoL's in proportion to their player base.....

and the meta in Dota is no where near as defined as it is in LoL

That's because there is no defined, single meta? There are multiple approaches the game, which is what keeps it interesting.

Dota is past LoL in terms of metagame.