Difference between Bruiser and Tank build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ten Inch Rooster

08-15-2012

I often notice Tri-force seems to be the defining item to be classified as a Bruiser and Warmog's+Atma seems to be the defining combo for a tank. My question is beyond this what items really separate the two classifications. I know many times you will see both starting off with Philo and HoG to eventually get an Omen and often both will get a Frozen Mallet if the Bruiser has for some reason foregone a Tri-Force. Other than that, I know by end-game Bruisers are a nightmare as far as damage output and survivability but is that just their kit or other items really pushing them forward?

Construct

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-15-2012

The only real difference I see in bruisers and tanks is kit, not items. In some cases, item builds don't matter for some bruisers or tanks. A very common tank item is Frozen Heart, yet bruisers are able to build this. Bruisers differ from tanks in that they usually have a built in steroid or something they can abuse for damage instead of building massive amounts of damage. Olaf is a prime example. His low cooldown true damage and free attack speed as he becomes less healthy lets him build items to support his team (Shurelya's, Randuin's, Zeke's) more than build damage for himself.

It's more of a kit thing than an item thing.

axesandspears

08-15-2012

..............Tanks would not take Atma's Impaler and Warmogs together.

BRUISERS are damage champions that need and build extra toughness to ensure that they survive to inflict damage. Their primary goal is to inflict damage, but they often have a little utility and they often need to do what is possible to defend the squishier damage champions on their team. Bruisers are always trying to inflict damage though. Most melee champions are bruisers by necessity because a melee glass cannon cannot survive long enough to kill anything.
Bruisers include champions like Darius/Lee Sin/Jax/Udyr/Volibear/Warwick; all ad-ratio champions that are not ranged ad-carries (because even the "assassins" like Pantheon or Talon eventually need to start building defenses once the opponents can survive their initial bursts); all melee carry type champions that are "viable" or using a build where they are "viable" against opponents that are not idiots; and several very tank-like bruisers like Blitzcrank and Malphite who tend to fill some of the roles of a tank better than most tanks, but do cannot fill all of the roles of a tank and eventually need to start building some damage.

TANKS are more specific. They are a type of support that are heavily focused on disrupting opponents, peeling, initiating, and producing "threat" (a psychological effect that causes players to play differently in their presence, i.e. avoiding Allistar for fear of Pulverize) which usually comes from their ability to disrupt. Many bruisers can do some of these things, but for tanks those roles and that utility trumps damage throughout most of the game. Tanks build durability for two reasons:
1. They often need it because their role requires putting themselves at risk, and opponents will usually focus a good tank if they think they can kill him/her or if they are stupid and over-estimate the "threat" of the tank--which happens a lot at lower skill levels.
2. Defensive items provide most of the cooldown reduction and utility that helps tanks do their job. This actually extends to their damage in the case of Sunfire Cape, because tanks rarely scale well.

The definition of a bruiser extends to encompass all damage champions who are bulding tougher than usual, so items can make a champion into a bruiser.
The definition of a tank stays very specific and items cannot make a non-tank into a tank; however, an effective tank champion can "lose" that role if he/she focuses on items that do not help him/her accomplish it.

Nea De Penserhir

08-15-2012

Bruisers - AD, HP, + MR/Armor
Tanks - CDR, Aura/Actives, +MR/Armor. HP tends to be a common stat on the Aura/Active items.