How do you transition to level 30 meta?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Best Poro World

08-15-2012

I am level 29 and just getting into the point where games stop being two top two bottom and start being this level 30 meta with solo tops, supports, and junglers. I am kind of scared to hit level 30 because I think the game will just start matching me with all 30's who have way more experience than I could dream of.

First off it seems like 75% of the games I see a jungler now they suck and are easy to avoid and when I tried it I did horribly even with a tutorial from some pro players. I could kill the monsters efficiently enough I just failed at getting a good gank. When you can just put a site ward in the river how do you even gank without them just backing off? Jungle Ganks are a result of stupidity, you are relying on them to be stupid at least it would seem. After a while of no ganks I just got behind and I just died in combat to them. How do you efficiently gank as a jungler and how can you get the proper pratice without completely feeding and hurting your team? It doesn't help that bots don't jungle and are like the most passive players ever.

Secondly support, what is defined as a support and why do you need one? It seems like no one pre30 ever wants to play as one and when they do they get *****ed at for feeding even though they aren't supposed to pick up the kills. Who would be a good support to learn? I am thinking Taric, he seems cool.

Cenerae

08-15-2012

You may not be aware, but you actually have a hidden Elo for normal games (if you don't know what that is, it's basically a ranking system). Once you hit lvl 30 proper, you'll drop the last bit of artificial rating adjustment for being an underlevelled summoner and be on your own rating.

What this means is, that you should be getting matched against lvl 30's of a similar skill level to you. It's not going to be exact, but you're not suddenly going to start getting matched against entire teams of players who badly outclass you on both mechanical skills and co-ordination.

As for a support, a support by defenition is a champion that can contribute in a meaningful way with little to no items. You have a support in the bottom lane with your AD carry most of the time. The support lets the carry farm, and wards the lane to protect from jungle ganks. They also protect the carry from the enemy AD and support, or perhaps sets up kills for them. Their gold income comes mostly from gold per 10 items, and they mainly buy aura and team support items like Shurelya's Reverie and Aegis of the Legion. And despite all this, come teamfights they're not useless, because their kit is strong enough to let them still be helpful.

Good support examples are Janna, Blitzcrank, Soraka, Sona, Taric, Leona. There are others out there too, but I'm about to enter a game and these are all the ones that came up off the top of my head.

Lil Miss Lori

08-15-2012

I'm not 30 yet, but from what I've read, this is my input:

I have the same jungle questions actually lol I really want to get into it, but I'm afraid of failing horribly... I think what you need to do is just be smart about which lane you plan on ganking. Try to find the over-extended lane, and come in from behind. If there are no over-extended lanes, try to steal their jungle. Or gank anyway? Heh. Its a precise science ~ practice makes perfect.

As for support, just make sure the map is warded and keep everyone alive (including yourself!veryimportant) and buffed. The point is for your bottom to get the most CS. You're the buff bringer / poker. If you happen to snag a kill with your aggression, it sucks for your team, but its not the end of the world. Just shows that you were helping. I vote Sona as a new support character though. From my experience playing with her and against her. She's super fancy.

CrusaderAntonius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-15-2012

Who are you jungling with? Different champs do different things in the jungle.

If you're jungling with Shyv, for example, your ganks aren't going to be that good. You should focus on clearing your jungle and stealing from the enemy jungler. Your goal with someone like Shyv is to keep all camps cleared. That's how she earns the majority of her gold. You help your lanes by applying pressure if they're getting bullied and pushed around, but you're generally not gonna get many good ganks off unless the other team is overextending terribly.

On the other extreme is someone like Naut or Eve who can clear slow-to-decently, but ganks like a boss. If you're playing someone like this, then you need to pay very close attention to where the enemy lanes place their wards so that you can avoid them. If you're Eve then you can walk right past them, but most junglers will need to use alternate routes. For example, if the enemy top wards in the river bush, you can either move through their jungle to get behind them and avoid the ward, or sneak into the lane bushes by coming in through your lane. There is more than one way to approach every lane. Just pay attention to where their wards are so you know which way to go.

CrusaderAntonius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-15-2012

Who are you jungling with? Different champs do different things in the jungle.

If you're jungling with Shyv, for example, your ganks aren't going to be that good. You should focus on clearing your jungle and stealing from the enemy jungler. Your goal with someone like Shyv is to keep all camps cleared. That's how she earns the majority of her gold. You help your lanes by applying pressure if they're getting bullied and pushed around, but you're generally not gonna get many good ganks off unless the other team is overextending terribly.

On the other extreme is someone like Naut or Eve who can clear slow-to-decently, but ganks like a boss. If you're playing someone like this, then you need to pay very close attention to where the enemy lanes place their wards so that you can avoid them. If you're Eve then you can walk right past them, but most junglers will need to use alternate routes. For example, if the enemy top wards in the river bush, you can either move through their jungle to get behind them and avoid the ward, or sneak into the lane bushes by coming in through your lane. There is more than one way to approach every lane. Just pay attention to where their wards are so you know which way to go.

EDIT: I jungle in most of my games. Feel free to add me if you have specific questions or would like to watch some jungle runs or something.

LotusBlue

08-15-2012

Ganking for dummies: a mini-guide

Getting around wards is very important for successful ganks. Contrary to your belief, just because they drop a river ward does not mean you should give up hope of ever landing a gank. Sometimes they will be so overextended that you can catch them even if they see you coming. Sometimes you can sneakily avoid their wards.

Top lane: before the top laner goes back the first time, top will almost never be warded. Gank at your own discretion.
If it is warded, usually only one entrance will be warded (either tribrush or river). Go in from the other side.
If both of those entrances are warded, then consider going through the lane brush. Just have your top lane push up a bit so they don't see you.

Mid lane: Hard lane to gank. Luckily, it's also near impossible to ward off all ganking routes mid, since there are 4.
Watch if they are overextended or if your mid can get off a cc on the opposing mid.
Go through side brush.
If you think that side brush won't work, then consider going around the ramps on either side of mid lane and looping around for the gank.

Bot lane: You have 3 options: through the lane, through dragon, and through the tribrush. Very rarely will all three of those be warded (usually 1-2). Remember to tell bot lane to push up if you want to go through the lane.
Before ganking ask your bot lane where the enemy wards are and gank accordingly. Alternatively, pick up an early oracles to kill the wards, or ask your support to grab oracles/pinks.

Summary: Very rarely will every lane and every ganking entrance be warded. So figure out which ones are and aren't, and gank accordingly. If it doesn't seem like you can get off a successful gank, feel free to farm the jungle. Just keep an eye out for when there is an opportunity for a good gank.

Side Note: Whenever Nocturne has his ultimate up, he can effectively bypass wards. If he doesn't have his ultimate, then try to follow these tips. Excellent jungler and ganker if you happen to pick him up.