Rabadon's Deathcap is kinda... boring, IMO.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Penakoto

08-14-2012

Here's the thing, pretty much every champion that relies on Ability Power, has to get the Deathcap, but the thing is, it's a really boring item.

It gives you a huge boost in AP, but nothing else. There is no passive besides giving more AP, no other stats other than AP, it doesn't build from anything interesting, it's the very definition of the trope Boring, but Practical.

Infinity Edge I'd say is the closest parallel, for roles desiring AD boosts, but the Infinity Edge also offers critical chance, and a boost to the damage dealt by critical hits. It's enough to make the item feel like it's more than just a straight damage booster, despite that being it's entire purpose.

I have a few suggestions that could make it a more interesting item.

These are just suggestions, I'm no expert on balance or anything, so don't take the following as the only possible solution.

Perhaps reduce the base AP, but increase the Passive % gain to compensate, while also adding a third stat. Turning it from the must have item that it is, to a situational, build specific item intended for people who gain a lot of AP from their other items?

Or, why not have it be built from Kage's Lucky Pick, instead of Blasting Wand? Blasting Wand already builds into 11 other items, while Kage's Lucky Pick build's into only 2. It would at least give you a Gp10 to hold onto while waiting to build the cap, even if you don't build the Deathcap right away. Of course, the price of creating the deathcap would have to be adjusted.

I play a lot of AP champions, and I love having so many cool items to choose from, but Rabadon's Deathcap isn't one of them, yet if I don't build one, I'm holding myself back.

TLDR; Rabadon's Deathcap needs something to make it more interesting, or build from something more interesting, the huge boost to AP is useful, but not interesting or fun.

bob000

08-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penakoto View Post
Here's the thing, pretty much every champion that relies on Ability Power, has to get the Deathcap, but the thing is, it's a really boring item.

It gives you a huge boost in AP, but nothing else. There is no passive besides giving more AP, no other stats other than AP, it doesn't build from anything interesting, it's the very definition of the trope Boring, but Practical.

Infinity Edge I'd say is the closest parallel, for roles desiring AD boosts, but the Infinity Edge also offers critical chance, and a boost to the damage dealt by critical hits. It's enough to make the item feel like it's more than just a straight damage booster, despite that being it's entire purpose.

These are just suggestions, I'm no expert on balance or anything, so don't take the following as the only possible solution.

Perhaps reduce the base AP, but increase the Passive % gain to compensate, while also adding a third stat. Turning it from the must have item that it is, to a situational, build specific item intended for people who gain a lot of AP from their other items?

Or, why not have it be built from Kage's Lucky Pick, instead of Blasting Wand? Blasting Wand already builds into 11 other items, while Kage's Lucky Pick build's into only 2. It would at least give you a Gp10 to hold onto while waiting to build the cap, even if you don't build the Deathcap right away. Of course, the price of creating the deathcap would have to be adjusted.

I play a lot of AP champions, and I love having so many cool items to choose from, but Rabadon's Deathcap isn't one of them, yet if I don't build one, I'm holding myself back.

TLDR; Rabadon's Deathcap needs something to make it more interesting, or build from something more interesting, the huge boost to AP is useful, but not interesting or fun.
nope

Nea De Penserhir

08-14-2012

Bathing the fields in flames as Annie in a Witch Rabadoodle hat entertains me.

That is great fun.

deathpanelof1

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-14-2012

I wish that all items forced champions to make choices. The more informed you are the better you are at making complex choices. Buying Rabs is essentially making no choice. It is only the best first item for a straight burst AP champ like Fiddle but on AP Cho Rylia's is a better choice because the health and slow allow you to land more ruptures and take more aggro. The thing with Rabs is if the game lasts your going to have one in your build somewhere.

Irelia Bot

08-15-2012

I don't care what you say I will still get DFG before hat on LeBlanc.

Vivi R66

08-15-2012

I was feeling like that, "Gee, this AP mid thing is boring", then I started playing Ryze =D

Its so much fun I can stock up on items that give mana and tankyness, and I feel happy about it lol

jadelink

08-21-2012

Hmm, i keep doing fine with karthus when keeping Rabadons late or never. I tend to build Rylais first on fiddle (keeps them in the storm/tether and means the squishy mage in the middle of the enemy doesnt die as quickly.)

Just because the guide SAYS that rabadons first is best doesn't mean you cant do well (or even better) building it later or never. I tend to think that its passive is a bit wasted if you don't get another AP item first, so I have never built it first on anyone.

ImIndustructible

08-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penakoto View Post

So, let's add a new passive for Deathcap:

Unique passive: Upon killing or assist, your champion will spam dance animation and laugh sound.

Interesting enough?

Ro0ki

08-21-2012

Penakoto is boring too