How does one recover after falling behind in lane?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lous1210

08-14-2012

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum - this just seemed like the most appropriate one.

So recently after managing to get around 1000 normal game wins under my belt between combined blind and draft play, I decided to take it a step further and try my hand at ranked. I would win my lane 9\10 times in normals, and often without having to exert much of an effort; long story short, I felt that my ability to improve my skill through normal games had drastically decreased.

In order to seek out a higher level of challenge, I played a few ranked games. I do fairly well in most games, but I seem to have a recurring issue. To explain the problem, I'll use top lane as an example. If I pick before my opponent in top lane, i often get counter-picked and end up getting zoned away from creeps, missing out on cs and xp to a considerable degree. If I am the one who counterpicked, I often get ganked by their jungler rather early into the game (before I have the opportunity to buy wards.) After this happens, my wave will be pushed to tower, and I'll return to lane at a considerable level and gold disadvantage. My question is: how do you recover from this? The obvious solution would be to ask for a gank or two from my jungler, but even when I do so, I can rarely rely on said jungler (I play solo queue 9\10 times) to any great degree. So, in order to sum up my problem, what is the best way to recover from the above situation?

TL;DR - How do you come back after being put at a Level \ Gold disadvantage in lane?

Lord Puppy Fury

08-14-2012

I haven't tried ranked yet, so if it's an entirely different beast feel free to ignore my advice.

If the lane's not pushed to my turret, I'll sometimes grab some jungle creeps or go try to gank another lane and scoop up an assist or even a kill. If there's nothing I can do, I pretty much just try to endure laning and not feed. Once everyone starts roaming, if there's a fat juicy clump of minions, I make sure to go get it. I'll even ask the team to let me have the farm if I'm way behind. In team fights, it's not always a bad idea to be the suicidal focus. If the enemy team is focused on you, but you get some damage in on all or most of them, hopefully your team can get a few kills which will give you a huge boost from assists.

t3hep1cf47m4n

08-14-2012

if you fall behind:

buy 2x GP10 items ASAP ( this depends on who you're going solo top as: i get philo and HoG since i play nasus. if youre, say, critplank then avarice blade and philo/HoG would be better)

remember the last hit rule:

2x tower hit for melee minions
1x auto attack 1x tower hit for caster minions

Lous1210

08-14-2012

Pretty good tips, thanks for the advice so far, I appreciate the replies. I try to do both of these things, but the main problem is that if for example I get level 2 ganked, I'll still be lvl 1-2 when I get back to lane, while my opponent, who comes back to lane around the same time, will be level 3-4, and effectively able to zone me away from creeps to deny me XP. The gp\10's are definitely a good idea to come back from the gold disadvantage, but how do I close the level gap in order to avoid falling even farther behind? (The kills\assists from other lanes could help in this as well, but if my gank attempt is failed, I'll end up in a worse position than I was before.)

zhengsta

08-14-2012

There's no magic item that makes you auto win your lane. The best advice is to just stay even on gold earned and as the game stretches out the difference in power will be reduced. You have a better chance of winning a 60 min game where you fed 2 kills in the first min, than you do of winning a 20 min game where you fed 2 kills in the first min.

Lous1210

08-14-2012

Quote:
There's no magic item that makes you auto win your lane. The best advice is to just stay even on gold earned and as the game stretches out the difference in power will be reduced. You have a better chance of winning a 60 min game where you fed 2 kills in the first min, than you do of winning a 20 min game where you fed 2 kills in the first min.
I understand that there isn't really one simple solution, and I'm not looking for an easy way out. The problem is that after the initial disadvantage is in place, they can easily zone me from creeps, denying me further experience and digging the hole deeper so to speak. I suppose that "waiting it out" could be an effective method, but usually if they are a strong champion, they have the capability to whittle me down to the point where they are able to towerdive me if I so much as step away from the tower once or twice. I'm looking for a strategy to counteract getting zoned, or at least to lessen its effects in a noticeable way during lane phase, not so much afterwards.

zhengsta

08-14-2012

Try asking for a lane switch. This could be effective if you have a better matchup else where. Then the gold difference is not as big.

t3hep1cf47m4n

08-14-2012

you don't just "lane switch" in a ranked game, as most champions picked in ranked aren't interchangeable like that.

Quote:
understand that there isn't really one simple solution, and I'm not looking for an easy way out. The problem is that after the initial disadvantage is in place, they can easily zone me from creeps, denying me further experience and digging the hole deeper so to speak. I suppose that "waiting it out" could be an effective method, but usually if they are a strong champion, they have the capability to whittle me down to the point where they are able to towerdive me if I so much as step away from the tower once or twice. I'm looking for a strategy to counteract getting zoned, or at least to lessen its effects in a noticeable way during lane phase, not so much afterwards.
your lane phase is basically done at that point. just sit back and don't feed anymore kills.

ResidualShade

08-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hep1cf47m4n View Post
you don't just "lane switch" in a ranked game, as most champions picked in ranked aren't interchangeable like that.

your lane phase is basically done at that point. just sit back and don't feed anymore kills.
this is the correct answer. once your in this situation their is nothing you can do on your own to regain control of your lane. at this point your goal should be to get as much farm and exp you can without giving up anymore kills.

if you have cooperative teammates their are 2 things they can do to help with the situation.

1) jungle and/or mid can apply pressure to your lane by ganking it. this will cause your lane opponent to stop being so aggressive toward you and reduce the zoning. in the best case scenario he gets killed and you regain your footing in the lane. be careful as if he has gained to much of an advantage he might kill one of you during the gank nullifying any benefit you might have gotten. especially if he kills you and your jungler kills him.

2) get your teammates to push their lanes and take towers this will end the laning phase minimizing your lane opponents ability to capitalize on their lane control and get farmed. this will also lead to teamfights starting to happen giving you a good opportunity to get back into the game.

Lous1210

08-14-2012

Ok, thanks again for all the tips. I guess I'll try asking my team for some help if this situation occurs again