When to recall and resupply?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ValkyrionX

08-13-2012

When is the right time to recall and resupply if you play at the top/mid lane?
I'm talking about the mana based champ like Yorick, Olaf, Malph, Wukong.

Sometimes you win the duel and make your opponent die, now you still around at 75-80% HP because of the HP sustain but your mana is depleted from the last duel, what will you do when your jungler is not available for covering let's say he is ganking bot right now.

Would you:
1. Stay farming and push until the opponent come back to lane, then recall.
2. Recall immidiately and resupply then back to lane so as your opponent arrive you are at 100% both mana and HP.
3. Stay farming but play safe, while waiting the jungle cover then recall
4. Other..

So if you have other opinion please just say it.

Fire Lord Iroh

08-13-2012

You want to recall as soon as you can because your opponent will be coming back with new items. If you want to keep winning your lane, you will need new items too.

Khizan

08-13-2012

It depends.

Generally speaking, I'll dump the rest of my mana into killing as many creeps as I can in a few seconds, and then I'll recall myself. Several reasons for this. It'll let me meet them at full resources. It'll let me buy a possible item advantage early on. An early longsword or Doran's can noticeably improve your harass and last hitting. It also means that I won't be in a position where my opponent is coming back with a pair of Doran's and I've just got my boots. It will let me restock on wards/pots if I need them without giving up a lane advantage.

The only times I really stay in lane in that situation are when I'm comfortable with my current (low) level of mana AND I can't afford an item advantage in my lane AND I don't need more wards. As Pantheon, I usually run scaling mp5 yellows to help support spear harass because I can I rely on my passive to protect me from autoattack harass. So if I'm good on wards, comfortable with my mana regen, comfortable with my health and sustain, and I can't afford a useful item, I'll stay in the lane. Nine times out of ten, I'll go restock.

Again, using Pantheon as my example, the list of early things I might buy includes:
1) Doran's. Buy them early, sell them later
2) Longswords. Hexdrinker, Wriggles and Brutalizer parts that are effective alone.
3) Null-magic Mantle. Hexdrinker and Mercury Treads parts(against AP)
4) Cloth Armor. Ninja Tabi and Wriggles parts(against AD)
5) Vampiric Sceptre. Wriggles parts.
6) Wards, wards, wards.

I don't always build all those items, of course, but those are the kinds of things I'll take advantage of their death to buy.

Cenerae

08-14-2012

If the enemy has backed or is dead, generally it's a good idea to shove the lane out if you think you'll not get ganked (or will be fine if you are) right to the enemy's tower, then go recall yourself. This means you make the enemy lose out on some minion exp and some last hits, and by the time you get back the wave should be pushing out again in your favor.

ValkyrionX

08-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenerae View Post
If the enemy has backed or is dead, generally it's a good idea to shove the lane out if you think you'll not get ganked (or will be fine if you are) right to the enemy's tower, then go recall yourself. This means you make the enemy lose out on some minion exp and some last hits, and by the time you get back the wave should be pushing out again in your favor.
What if our position is very close to our tower on top lane? I'm not sure if I can push that quick from our tower to enemy's before he come back, will push it to the mid between our tower is good enough?

Cenerae

08-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValkyrionX View Post
What if our position is very close to our tower on top lane? I'm not sure if I can push that quick from our tower to enemy's before he come back, will push it to the mid between our tower is good enough?
If you have a big wave pushed to your own tower, then yeah your best bet is to reset the wave before you leave.

In this case, it's less about making the enemy miss gold and experience, but more making sure *you* miss less gold and experience. Resetting the lane gets the minions back to an even pushing state, where you don't risk losing a lot of gold to your tower.