Are there retired champions?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zzilb

09-13-2010

He didnt state When the champions joined, he merely said the Institute of War has reigned for 20 years. Given that no champions have yet retired, some of them will indeed have been there for some time now. Fiddlesticks is one of them, but even he wasnt there day 1. I suppose its even possible the Institute of War didnt start straight off on league matches with fields of justice, but I cant recall anything supporting or denying that.
The idea of Annie being there this whole time is probably based on the presumption that the start of the institute was the start of the game, but thats pretty shoddy ground to argue from what with megling/yordle retcons. Anyone note anything else relevant in the lores?

Brett Satoru

09-13-2010

I imagine that the League probably started with matches involving apprentice Summoners to get their feet wet and start with small displays of magic to make sure that full on Summoning of a Champion didn't ruin anything. But I may be giving them too much credit to their caution.

But I imagine the first Champion Lore-wise that may see a huge change from Injury outside the League first is going to end up being Garen. He's pissed off a lot of Noxian soldiers because of Pure Demacia.

Haemonculus

09-13-2010

So, would this mean if Riot fails to buff a character and they just become totally worthless as the game updates more--I mean worthless as in, not even a months worth of play can help you get better at the Champion and not even a pro could pick 'em up and 'fix' them--you'll have no other choice but to either rework them or just kill 'em off? You've been on a great run so far, but I'm getting scared of the moment where you mess up on a Champ and make them beyond fixable.

Of course, all of what I said can be debatable. From Heimer to Eve (Not so much Heimer since I've been doing pretty good with him thus far... but I can't judge since it's only been two games >_>), and etc etc.

Possibly loss of interest from Riot?

Zzilb

09-13-2010

I dont think 'small displays of magic' are how itd go. The (modern?) purpose of the League is to address the problems of the rune wars. Those were Big displays. It took such a lot of devastation before mages thought "Dear gods what have we done and who will save us from ourselves?"
An organization like the Institution doesnt typically spring up over night. Surely the Demacian King didnt stroll in to his chamber the next day and find a note on his throne kindly explaining that his political affairs were now to be overseen and judged by someone else.

The Institute has to have grown to that level of such power and need and capability that the city states would see the light, and perhaps when Baba speaks of 20 years he is accounting for its time as a seed in the minds of gifted few who would go on to change the entire country.

Theres this lovely nibble of story but its just that; A nibble.

Northpaw

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBabagahnoosh View Post
1. The League is just shy of 20 years old.
2. Champions can be killed outside of a Field of Justice.
3. It is possible, but it has yet to happen.
4. No champion has yet quit the League.
So the dates (specifically the years) in the JoJ correspond to how old the League is?

GreatProtector

02-19-2011

Please do not retire any champions D: no one would like that. Unless it's Master Yi, retire him and then lock him away forever. >:]

Eruend

02-20-2011

Retirement from the league might actually be an issue for the Institute of War... I mean, wouldn't a champion's retirement constitute in a major loss for his/her/it's representing state? Also, it can't be realistically thought that they will actively fight in the league forever.

Would there be an aprentice to take the place of said champion?

Shaellla

08-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBabagahnoosh View Post
1. The League is just shy of 20 years old.
2. Champions can be killed outside of a Field of Justice.
3. It is possible, but it has yet to happen.
4. No champion has yet quit the League.
Priscilla,Rob, Well, Avasha, Tabu

08-09-2011

In the question about Annie, I'm fairly certain that champions grow older...as it is explicitly stated in lore about her that WHEN SHE GETS OLDER she'll be a very powerful sorceress. I'm assuming that the nexus does not bind your age, but does bind your life. So you cannot officially die in the fields, but you can grow old to the point where you're basically useless....At this point, I would assume they'd unbind them somehow....Otherwise, they're just taking up space and growing more and more pointless

Sarkan of Arkham

08-09-2011

As for Annie, I've always assumed that since the JoJ started in 20 CLE that is where the story, and therefore the in game time period, is supposed to pick up, with anything taking place before that time being background info.