Youmu's Ghostblade on Jayce: yay or nay? (and WHY)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-13-2012

One thing that bugs me about Jayce is how his abilities scale off BONUS AD rather than actual AD, that's made itemizing him a pain. Being short ranged/melee, he needs to be tanky no matter what, on the other hand he still needs to deal damage. And I have no idea how to balance tankiness with damage.

Anyways, enough of that, here's an item specifci question. I've been thinking about how effective Youmu's Ghostblade would be on Jayce.

On one hand, Youmu's Ghostblade...

-gives CDR, which is a must-have for such an ability-centric champion
-gives armour penetration and AD, which is generally welcome on most AD champions

On the other hand

-it gives really PITIFUL amounts of AD

On one hand I'd want some CDR, there's Frozen Heart, but that only gives like ~20% CDR, there's room for more. But on the other hand, the AD bonus is so pathetic.

Trevorasaurus

08-13-2012

No, ghostblade is for champions that rely on autoattacks. Such as Master Yi, or Tryndamere.

Since Jayce relies on abilities, that would not be a good choice for him.

EzraTwitch

08-13-2012

I disagree, his damage comes pretty equally from both (when in ranged mode most of your damage comes from you auto-attacks). I would say that it is a good item on him situationally; If you plan on building Ghostblade make sure your runes and masterys synergize with it. Example: If you plan on building a Ghostblade, Run 25 Armor pen instead of 15 damage on your runes and think about picking up a black cleaver in the late game as opposed to a Last Whisper.

Khizan

08-13-2012

Meh. Terrible.

Brutalizer is 25 AD, 10% CDR, and 15 ArP, for 1337 gold.

You pay that much gold again to upgrade to a ghostblade, and that gold gets you 5AD, 5% CDR, and 5 ArP, in addition to the active. In terms of gold/stats, the Ghostblade is horrible, and I don't think Jayce gets enough out of the active to make it worth it.

I do love an early Brut, though. A ton of offensive power in a very affordable package.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzraTwitch View Post
I disagree, his damage comes pretty equally from both (when in ranged mode most of your damage comes from you auto-attacks). I would say that it is a good item on him situationally; If you plan on building Ghostblade make sure your runes and masterys synergize with it. Example: If you plan on building a Ghostblade, Run 25 Armor pen instead of 15 damage on your runes and think about picking up a black cleaver in the late game as opposed to a Last Whisper.
Even if a lot of damage did come from autoattacks, I suspect much of that would be from Hyper boost, which ignores AS entirely.

Even ranged autoattackers avoid Ghostblade, though Im not sure if Jayce in cannon mode counts as a ranged or a melee, in regards to stuff like Frozen Mallet slow percentage, tiamat splash and ghostblade extendo beatdown time.

Cenerae

08-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
Even if a lot of damage did come from autoattacks, I suspect much of that would be from Hyper boost, which ignores AS entirely.

Even ranged autoattackers avoid Ghostblade, though Im not sure if Jayce in cannon mode counts as a ranged or a melee, in regards to stuff like Frozen Mallet slow percentage, tiamat splash and ghostblade extendo beatdown time.
Honestly, if you need a quick burst of attack speed....well, that's what Jayce's cannon mode W is for no?

You can even hit it before jumping into hammer mode and laying some beatdown, you'll still get the rapid triple hit even though you swapped to melee.

I personally find that Jayce doesn't do too much autoing, and makes great use of trinity. I'm still experimenting with builds for him, but trinity gives him plenty of damage output, then you can tank up or get more damage as necessary.

As for ghostblade...Kayle's considered melee when her Righteous Fury isn't active, but ranged when she is. Jayce should work the same way. If you're trying to use it in ranged mode, you're kinda wasting the active. That, and ghostblade is only really good on champions with a lot of baked in damage already. Jayce is lacking on raw AD steroids, so he can't really put all that AS to good use...and he even HAS an AS steroid already.

ResidualShade

08-14-2012

Bruiser:
mercs, bloodthirster, frozen mallet, maw, guardian angel, last whisper

or

AD Carry:
zerkers, infinity edge, bloodthirster, phantom dancer, last whisper, guardian angel

have fun.

XCodes

08-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorasaurus View Post
No, ghostblade is for champions that rely on autoattacks. Such as Master Yi, or Tryndamere.

Since Jayce relies on abilities, that would not be a good choice for him.
I haven't played Yi for a long time, so while I did build Ghostblade on him a couple times, I never really liked how it worked.

I never, ever felt compelled to put it on Tryndamere. I want items with more AD, AS, or Crit on him than Ghostblade offers.

What I think Ghostblade is *supposed* to be is an item for melee AD Casters that makes their Autoattacks better. As it is, however, it's just bad.

Ginga

08-14-2012

Quote:
As for ghostblade...Kayle's considered melee when her Righteous Fury isn't active, but ranged when she is. Jayce should work the same way. If you're trying to use it in ranged mode, you're kinda wasting the active. That, and ghostblade is only really good on champions with a lot of baked in damage already. Jayce is lacking on raw AD steroids, so he can't really put all that AS to good use...and he even HAS an AS steroid already.
Okay, as a person who played Kayle quite often, I can assure you one thing.

She may be considered "melee" when her Righteous Fury isn't active, but in NO WAY is she a viable melee champion ever. She was, still is, and likely forever will be a ranged champion that just happens to require mana to become ranged for 10 seconds.

Agreed a bit on the rest, it feels kinda like Youmu is designed for champion with poor scaling but high bases that spams their abilities a lot. In which case, I kinda wish it offered something other than crit%'s.

Cenerae

08-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
Okay, as a person who played Kayle quite often, I can assure you one thing.

She may be considered "melee" when her Righteous Fury isn't active, but in NO WAY is she a viable melee champion ever. She was, still is, and likely forever will be a ranged champion that just happens to require mana to become ranged for 10 seconds.

Agreed a bit on the rest, it feels kinda like Youmu is designed for champion with poor scaling but high bases that spams their abilities a lot. In which case, I kinda wish it offered something other than crit%'s.
At which point did I imply that Kayle should be played as a melee champion?

I was just saying that she has a melee/range mode and the game recognises it, and thus items should work the same way on Jayce.