Looking for Summoner Spell advice.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dechs Kaison

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-13-2010

I'm having trouble deciding which summoner spells will do me the most good. I know I'm not in a high Elo bracket, so I doubt I've seen the best ways to use them. I'm looking for some general advice here considering that I usually play caster champions. What are the spells I should be using?

So far, these are my thoughts on the spells, listed from (what I believe to be) most to least useful. Any of this sound right?

Clairvoyance: With the mastery, this spell is up very often and lasts a while. I've upset quite a few gankers by being able to spot them in the bushes. It seems to be a great way to get intel from anywhere on the map.

Teleport: This one makes me feel like a rapid responder. I can blue pill to get my first batch of items and be back in the lane without missing a ton of xp/gold. Further, after the laning phase, I can quickly bounce to the lane that's getting pushed by a cascade of minion waves. As a caster, I tend to get focused and targeted for ganks fairly often. When I do, it's nice to be able to get right back into the fight.

Ignite: Ugh. I couldn't feel more conflicted about this spell. It seems like such piddly damage, but when it comes to making the kill or not, it's great when it works. When it really seems useful is to prevent healing. I also find that I often waste the spell by using it too early.

Ghost: The things I can see this useful for are avoiding ganks or catching up to the guy you're about to gank, but they never seem to help me with either. I've tried taking it, but end up using it just to get to a tower in time, wishing I had just taken teleport.

Flash: I keep hearing that this is a great spell... but I've never seen it used in a way that makes me think: "Oh, that's why it's great." I can't seem to use it to great effect either. Any hints on how I should be using this?

dreamNing

09-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dechs Kaison View Post
I'm having trouble deciding which summoner spells will do me the most good. I know I'm not in a high Elo bracket, so I doubt I've seen the best ways to use them. I'm looking for some general advice here considering that I usually play caster champions. What are the spells I should be using?

So far, these are my thoughts on the spells, listed from (what I believe to be) most to least useful. Any of this sound right?

Clairvoyance: With the mastery, this spell is up very often and lasts a while. I've upset quite a few gankers by being able to spot them in the bushes. It seems to be a great way to get intel from anywhere on the map.

Teleport: This one makes me feel like a rapid responder. I can blue pill to get my first batch of items and be back in the lane without missing a ton of xp/gold. Further, after the laning phase, I can quickly bounce to the lane that's getting pushed by a cascade of minion waves. As a caster, I tend to get focused and targeted for ganks fairly often. When I do, it's nice to be able to get right back into the fight.

Ignite: Ugh. I couldn't feel more conflicted about this spell. It seems like such piddly damage, but when it comes to making the kill or not, it's great when it works. When it really seems useful is to prevent healing. I also find that I often waste the spell by using it too early.

Ghost: The things I can see this useful for are avoiding ganks or catching up to the guy you're about to gank, but they never seem to help me with either. I've tried taking it, but end up using it just to get to a tower in time, wishing I had just taken teleport.

Flash: I keep hearing that this is a great spell... but I've never seen it used in a way that makes me think: "Oh, that's why it's great." I can't seem to use it to great effect either. Any hints on how I should be using this?
Ghost:
Pretty much every Champion benefits from Ghost. It's got a shorter cooldown than Teleport or Flash, is more versatile than both, and is probably the spell that has the most impact over a game on whether or not you got or denied giving a kill.

Flash:
Only really useful if you play a positioning heavy Champion. Ghost is better in most cases because of the shorter cooldown and ongoing duration but for some heroes having Flash can help you pull off combos easier. Think Alistar, Fiddlesticks, etc. Flash has 3 key attributes that are important
1. Instantaneous offense - People don't get the chance to react if you flash from fog or flash from bush and stun them. Ghosting can get you stunned or snared or whatnot unless they are literally right beside the fog area in which case you didn't need Ghost
2. Escape - Sometimes you will be chain slowed to the point that Ghost won't help you escape. Being good with Flash will help you some of the time. You want to click your hero as close to the edge of a wall as possible and flash through the wall. Unfortunately, if you misclick your hero will go away from the wall and start pathing around the obstruction so it sometimes takes a little practice
3. Positioning advantage - This is a defensive attribute, if your effective range is 900 with your abilities, flash extends your range to engage by its range, meaning you can safely hang behind that Nunu or Malphite or whatever as they try to soak up some enemy abilities and still be in the team fight once its initiated. Being in the back line, or the bush, or the fog does wonders for one's survivability but one must not be too slow to engage the fight or you'll leave your team shorthanded.

Clairvoyance:
If you're going 21 in utility this is up every 45 seconds or so letting you safely gank, push, or defend. It's infinitely useful to a team if you are good with it, but depending on your hero choice it may be better to choose a skill that helps you secure kills and leave this to a support hero. Everyone can benefit from Clairvoyance but some people benefit more from other skills.

Exhaust:
Slows, reduces armor, and blinds. Offensively this is the one ability that will help a dual (or early tri) lane nab first blood the most. Defensively, this makes carries cry late game in 1v1s. It might be the second most useful summoner spell in terms of its ability to turn things around in a variety of different scenarios (first being Ghost).

Ignite:
This is really only useful for securing kills, it combos nicely with certain Champions and the debuff is incredibly useful early on. Trade off is that it's purely offensive and the damage scaling is not very good later in the game. Overall, I find that Exhaust is a much more versatile spell and serves a similar purpose offensively as Ignite.

Teleport:
It's got a crazy long cooldown but it gives you slightly better map control. Often I find that I'm debating whether or not I should waste my Teleport to be somewhere or if I should save it to defend a backdoor later. Most of the time there's not enough times to use a Teleport effectively in any given game. It also lacks versatility in the long run.

Heal/Clarity:
Situational. Heal is worse than Clarity, more mana means more lane control and better harass. Crappy amount of healing that may or may not save your life once in awhile is pretty meh. It won't help you win lanes and most of the time it won't help you get kills though on occasion some people are stupid enough to dive you so you can reverse those.

Rally/Revive/Fortify:
Fortify is the only one that's somewhat useful and only if your team will respond to the use of Fortify. The others are god awful.

Generally, packing Ghost is never wrong, use it all the time. It substitutes for any situation you can think of. Pack Flash if you're a strong initiator or need good positioning for your skills. Take Clairvoyance if you're the team *****. Exhaust or Ignite if you're a gank heavy toon.

Chaotic Bliss

09-13-2010

Dreamex is right on.

Ive seen a few times where Revive has acted like GA. You come up and pick up where you left off. If you are someone that impacts team fights, and are one of the main carries, Revive wouldnt be too bad. Stack a GA and you have a total of 3 lifes. If you have Zilien on your team and he hits you with his ult, you have 4. Revive is one of those iffy spells. And unless you can make great use of it and have it work for you, its not worth having.

Rally isnt a bad spell. If you are in a lane and happen to go uncontested, drop it and take the turret. It buffs you and your creeps. It can also be useful in ganks. It gets stronger as you lvl so it can help if you run with multiple phsyical DSP mates. It has its uses, but its not popular.

C00LST0RYBR0

09-13-2010

When in doubt, get Ghost/Flash. Ghost/Exhaust is also viable almost all the time.

Lu Caos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-13-2010

Teleport is mainly useful early game, allowing you to 2v1 a lot easier, allows you to recover from a gank by teleporting back to your tower before they can kill it. Allows for rather funny tactics if your whole team has it. Not to mention you can use it to punish your opponent if they push past your minions in their lane. Late game it's good, just not as much.

M4nTiCoR3

09-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dechs Kaison View Post

Very good utility if you refuse to buy wards...or need to thorw one of these when a ward would be impractical. Information and map awareness are major keys to winning a game.

Quote:
By far, my number 1 choice for a spell. It has such a huge upside, the only downside being its long cool down, and even that can be softened a bit with the Utility tree maxed. There is no substitue for being at the right place at the right time.

Quote:
When i use this spell and get a kill i often think, "man i coulda got the kill without it, what a waste". When a champ gets away with a sliver of health i think "man if i had only poped ignite, he would be dead and id be richer." I keep moving this further asnd further down my list the more i find how little that 1-2 extra kills nets me a game over the awesopme utility other choices bring. Kills are great, but pushing towers and map awareness win games. In team fights, it has its uses vs healers, but only 1 person needs it. Excutioners calling is a relativly cheap substitute for some champ builds as well.

Quote:
This is truth. The few times ghost actually saves me, i could have saved myself by playing less aggressive and not over extending. When i do end up using it to rush to a location, i always think teleopt would have gotten me their faster. Melee dps have other options like FM and YGB which give similar results for offensive use. The utility of this spell is still better than most choices, and it is up sooner than most, and thus more often...ecspecially with Utility tree maxed.

Quote:
If you want to learn how this spell is used, start playing a champion that has a skill flash that is up frequently. Someone like kassidin, or ezreal will show you through practice how this spell is meant to be used. I personally do not have the experince with it to make it useful, but if i wanted to learn thats what i would do.

Conclusion:

My number one choice hands down is teleport for every chamnpo i take. From there its situational. If im heavily invested in defense, i might pick up improved fortify. If i have a hybrid champ like kayle, and am goign offensive , i tend to lean towards imporved rally. Every champ has uniques synergies with certain spells and builds. I try to look for what will benifit my build and my team the most.

Good discusion so far, I like it (+1).

Dechs Kaison

09-13-2010

I want to quickly say thanks to everyone for the advice. I agree that this is a great discussion.

Basically, my number one pick lately has been Clairvoyance. The spell has led to some great surprise ganks and some amazing saves, just because we knew where the enemies were hiding. It's been mentioned that Clarivoyance is a great pick "if you are good with it." I'd like to ask what makes someone good with it?

Further, I'm not in an ELO where people buy wards. When wards start to become commonplace, does this spell stop being useful?

I have my masteries set up for 0/0/20 right now since I play casters requiring the cooldown (Specifically Malzahar). I'll most likely finish up with a 9/0/21 by the time I'm 30. Considering that, would Exhaust (with the mastery point) be a good second pick? I forgot about it's ability to blind the enemy, so I'm realizing it may work well as a defensive spell in addition to being an offensive one.

The next two are teleport and ghost. I like lane control and I like mobility, but I can't for the life of me decide which is more important.

Right now I'm thinking Clairvoyance/Exhaust. If wards really hamper its usefulness, I think I'll go with Exhaust/Teleport or Ghost. Thoughts?

dreamNing

09-13-2010

Clairvoyance is always useful, sometimes you just can't be in the position to put down that ward. Other times your timing is off and you need to see something somewhere where a ward has recently expired. It's also great early game to control bushes/dragon/junglers.

I'm not a huge fan of Teleport just because of the restrictive cooldown and it's really only shining if more than one person of your team has it.

For Mal'zahar, someone lacking a natural escape, Ghost would be a strong consideration for me. Exhaust is good too.