Suggestion Loss Forgiven for AFK ranked

First Riot Post
12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NoButterZ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

08-13-2012

Hi Riot Dev team,
Just had a game in which a summoner was afk the whole time in ranked. Is there some sort of way you guys can detect this?
I believe there should be some sort of level detection system in which it looks to see if there are any level 1 players at the end of game and automatically gives a Loss Forgiven and no loss of elo.
Thanks for your time,
NobutterZ


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

simpsonboy77

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-13-2012

I agree that there should be something to combat this, but think of it from another point of view.

You join a ranked game as a solo person, and all of your teammates are solo. One is afk from the start, and you end up losing. If you lost no Elo, either the enemy team will gain none, or gain elo. If they gain none, they are not happy with the system. If they gain some, then you now introduced Elo inflation to the system, which over time is detrimental. This is why Riot is reluctant to push "the button."

Ahh but I have a brilliant idea: have the afker lose elo equal to 5 times the normal amount of elo lost, such that they lost 50, the other 4 lose none, and the enemy gains 10 each (obviously can be tweaked depending on the matchup ie 60 and 12). But now you open it up for trolling. Trolls can join a ranked game, and afk. They can now drop their Elo easier and faster than ever. Once in low elo they will make other games unbalanced due to their 'true' rank and their current rank. This system will not work either.

Also, as long as your are not the AFKer, nor is someone in your premade, you are more likely to encounter an AFKer on the enemy team than on your team.

I believe Riot is better off trying to make a system to punish AFKers better, which will make afking less prevalent.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotKiddington

Platform Engineer

08-13-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpsonboy77 View Post
I agree that there should be something to combat this, but think of it from another point of view.

You join a ranked game as a solo person, and all of your teammates are solo. One is afk from the start, and you end up losing. If you lost no Elo, either the enemy team will gain none, or gain elo. If they gain none, they are not happy with the system. If they gain some, then you now introduced Elo inflation to the system, which over time is detrimental. This is why Riot is reluctant to push "the button."

Ahh but I have a brilliant idea: have the afker lose elo equal to 5 times the normal amount of elo lost, such that they lost 50, the other 4 lose none, and the enemy gains 10 each (obviously can be tweaked depending on the matchup ie 60 and 12). But now you open it up for trolling. Trolls can join a ranked game, and afk. They can now drop their Elo easier and faster than ever. Once in low elo they will make other games unbalanced due to their 'true' rank and their current rank. This system will not work either.

Also, as long as your are not the AFKer, nor is someone in your premade, you are more likely to encounter an AFKer on the enemy team than on your team.

I believe Riot is better off trying to make a system to punish AFKers better, which will make afking less prevalent.
What you said is really true. Any elo based adjustment for AFK will have its structural weakness under certain conditions. For in game AFK detection, the best way is to improve LeaverBuster so that AFK will get punished accordingly. More importantly, we also want to improve our communication and education to new players, to let them know leaving in game is bad, and they should not do it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FusedPositron

Senior Member

08-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post
What you said is really true. Any elo based adjustment for AFK will have its structural weakness under certain conditions. For in game AFK detection, the best way is to improve LeaverBuster so that AFK will get punished accordingly. More importantly, we also want to improve our communication and education to new players, to let them know leaving in game is bad, and they should not do it.
Wait a second. Why should the team that has all five people actually gain ELO? That makes no sense. ELO is designed to predict your chances of winning the match based on the players you were matched with and against. If one leaves, then that screws the whole thing up and I contend no one should gain or lose ELO. Period. The game should simply disband after a sufficient period of time of someone being AFK and leave it at that. Five people should not get to be ecstatically happy with what is essentially a free win while four others are made to needlessly suffer. The game is not designed to handle the power imbalance that results from having 20+% of your team leave.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

08-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusedPositron View Post
Wait a second. Why should the team that has all five people actually gain ELO? That makes no sense. ELO is designed to predict your chances of winning the match based on the players you were matched with and against. If one leaves, then that screws the whole thing up and I contend no one should gain or lose ELO. Period. The game should simply disband after a sufficient period of time of someone being AFK and leave it at that. Five people should not get to be ecstatically happy with what is essentially a free win while four others are made to needlessly suffer. The game is not designed to handle the power imbalance that results from having 20+% of your team leave.
Why shouldn't they gain Elo? If they didn't, you could troll every enemy team by going afk when you're about to lose, making it so that they don't gain Elo...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xisin

Recruiter

08-13-2012

pretty much what panzerfaust said. If someone were to start losing they could simply afk to get out of jail for free.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

voozers

Junior Member

02-07-2013

Sorry but I don't think Leaverbuster is enough or quite fair, especially when the remaining players still have to sit through the losing game and end up losing elo/LP.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tál

Senior Member

02-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by voozers View Post
Sorry but I don't think Leaverbuster is enough or quite fair, especially when the remaining players still have to sit through the losing game and end up losing elo/LP.
this


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zatsh

Senior Member

02-07-2013

the thing is, that it's iffy to tell when someone is just trolling, or someone really is afk for a good reason, such as power outage, or internet going down, thing that are not in there hands to control,


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lFalse Kingl

Member

02-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusedPositron View Post
Wait a second. Why should the team that has all five people actually gain ELO? That makes no sense. ELO is designed to predict your chances of winning the match based on the players you were matched with and against. If one leaves, then that screws the whole thing up and I contend no one should gain or lose ELO. Period. The game should simply disband after a sufficient period of time of someone being AFK and leave it at that. Five people should not get to be ecstatically happy with what is essentially a free win while four others are made to needlessly suffer. The game is not designed to handle the power imbalance that results from having 20+% of your team leave.
Just make them lose 3x elo and your team 1x.


12