Baron Ganking

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kenterik

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2009

So I'm definitely not at the "high-level" play that is oh-so invoked round these corners, so I was mildly curious (as an aspiring game dev) about a certain mechanic I never thought of: hiding in the brush waiting to get the last hit on baron. The handful of times my team and I have been involved in a baron kill (maybe only 5% of games) I never thought to check the brush to make sure no enemies were lying in wait to get the last hit then finish us off.

Does this ever happen? Is it (or would it) be effective? Will it not be worth it until there are purchasable wards?

Shizz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-13-2009

Yes, it happens quite often actually, which is why doing Baron is a RISK.

Watch the Couch Atheltics Tourney finals video.

Btw, there are 2 types of purchasable wards (new Sight wards and the old vision wards) and also Clairvoyance.

Voidgolem

11-13-2009

Yes, yes, and there's purchasable wards already.

Invest in Smite for extra rage from the other team.

Kenterik

11-13-2009

so do ppl often while doing baron have a guy consistently check the brush every second or so to get the heads up or just risk it?

(also, thx for the info on those videos, i'll def check those out)

Bluff

11-13-2009

Very possible, I've gotten close a few times and here is an example of when I succeeded:

I saw explosions by baron and decided to wait there behind him (not in river on the other side), I static fielded and got sight of the area for a few seconds. Baron was almost dead so I waited and rocket grabbed at the last possible moment, stealing the buff/gold/xp

Shizz

11-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenterik View Post
so do ppl often while doing baron have a guy consistently check the brush every second or so to get the heads up or just risk it?

(also, thx for the info on those videos, i'll def check those out)
Imo, the best way to protect yourself from getting it stolen is to have Teemo place shrooms all around the entry points to Baron. If you don't have Teemo, get some sight wards.

Yoni

11-13-2009

Well when I'm playing with my friends we tend to wait and ace their team (or leave 1 alive and have 1 of us pushing) and hit baron, then when they get back to life we're already done with baron and probably healing and going to smack them down.
Another way is just to have 1 ranged shoot him from the brush

Had a game I stole it, was an AP Tristana, went jump on him, killing 1 of theirs aswell and jumping away +flashing myself to safety, was flamed so badly that game made me laugh for a whole day.

TheMaster42

11-14-2009

You can snipe it from the bushes just to the right of the spawn. There's no real good counter to getting the kill sniped, that I know of.

The video they're talking about: http://lolreplays.com/index.php?opti...eplay&Itemid=4

TL;DR: tournament-level play, they snipe the baron kill twice. Pretty much flips the game around.

Etherin

11-14-2009

This is something worth doing all around the jungle, not just baron. I've stolen jungle buffs and dragon kills, which generally turn into a champ kill, or near-kill, as the enemy has just been tanking whichever neutral.

Nothing like getting the golem buff before the first minion wave because the other teams' warwick and nunu wanted to jungle my side of the river

tl;dr map awareness gets you easy gold and buffs!